Christchurch Earthquake

chumley

The first quake was North of Christchurch and was a 7.5, pretty much all of New Zealand felt that as people woke up as far away as Auckland. It was lucky that it struck at 12:02 am when people were for the most part home and in bed. It has caused damage to both Christchurch and Wellington. It has also triggered a Tsunami for the the east coast of both islands as well as Chatham Islands. I live in the Wellington Suburbs and it was very strong, lasted over a minute. I ran for my daughters room and best way to describe it was it was like trying to keep your balance when you are drunk, We are all fine and as our house is a Lockwood Home it is designed to absorb earthquakes, it did what is was supposed to do so we are safe damage free.

Apartments in Wellington have been evacuated, people are gathered at the 24 hour McDonald's. We have had buildings damaged and a rail bridge collapsed on the wharf. It has been over 2 hours of aftershocks and most of them closer to Wellington around Kaikoura and Seddon, they have been strong as well. Probably not going to get any sleep tonight. From reading reports doesn't seem to be any casualties so looks like the infrastructure has held up for the most part other then falling panels and broken glass in the cities, and a few chimneys collapsed. Groceries stores are a mess but we are used to cleaning that up.

Edit: The biggest risk at the moment are Tsunami and the sirens have been going off. Lyall Bay, around Wellington Airport and Petone and Eastbourne is being evacuated

I hope everyone is safe, ive just told my Daughter who is now trying to contact her friend Tasha who lives in Wellington but im sure she will be out on duty she is a senior sergeant in the police department.

Thank you for the report Matt I hope all your countrymen come through safe as can be mate.

cheers

Iain

One of the strongest and longest quakes I have felt, doors settled 60 cm ajar at my place on East coast of North Island, No sleep since and felling aftershocks. Just heard 2 died at Kaikoura.   

1 hour ago, rockliffe said:

You were the first person I thought of Matt when I heard the news. Glad to know you and your family are safe. Take care.

Same here...living in Hawaii, I was probably last to hear this news, but I am so glad to hear most, if not all folks made it through safely. Keep the updates coming when you can Matthew, and stay as safe as possible.

Myself and my wife were down there this weekend, catching up with family. We need to find out about them. We left 6am yesterday morning (Sunday), so missed it ourselves. Thoughts to everyone down there in the regions; it was biggie! 'We' (NZ) seem to have gotten away with it fairly light, so far. Here's hoping.

Thanks guys for the well wishes. We are all staying home today as the aftershocks continue. Now that the sun is up we are starting to see more of the damage. Kaikoura has seen the worst of it with houses and buildings collapsed, two confirmed casualties. The images of State Highway 1 are unbelievable with the slips and the highway is completely covered over now, looks like it will take a very long time to clear. 

I am currently developing a commercial property in Central Wellington so we have stopped work on it today, I haven't gone in to see it yet but I suspect I will have damage.I will stay out of Wellington for today and check on it tomorrow.

It was very very lucky the earthquake struck after Midnight on a Monday Morning as Wellington has a vibrant nightlife on most other nights. The personal injuries around the city could have been far worse if it was a Saturday Night or during Business Hours. We got lucky

18 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

An eerie feeling reading peoples first hand accounts, cannot imagine what it must be like.

Indeed!... I sometimes think it would be an amazing thing to feel the force of nature that is an earthquake, but when you see the misery, death and destruction it causes I quickly come to my senses.

I hope everyone is okay.

1 minute ago, Mark Abdey said:

Indeed!... I sometimes think it would be an amazing thing to feel the force of nature that is an earthquake, but when you see the misery, death and destruction it causes I quickly come to my senses.

I hope everyone is okay.

I would love to go storm chasing in the US but like you Mark wishing to experience an earthquake, seeing a tornado would mean someone's life and livelihood was about to be changed for ever.

Back in 1982 we had a tremor in Melbourne one Sunday night. I did not realise what was happening. There was a massive rumbling sound but when everything in the house started shaking I realised what it was. We had a lot of Italians and people from the old Yugoslavia (as it was then) and by the time I got to the front door they were already in the street. They knew exactly what it was.

53 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

I will admit when their is an earthquake you are supposed to drop and cover, I never do that as I prefer to take a surfers stance and feel the waves travel through the earth. It is the largest shock wave you will ever feel and it is quite something. My daughter is only 23 months old so last night I ran to her and stood over her crib just in case the ceiling started coming down. She woke up and looked up at me with a 'what are you doing' kind of look on her face. When it was over she just rolled over and back to sleep. I bet she thought it was just daddy being silly and shaking her crib.

Well if the quakes are not enough coming in now to the central parts of the Country are winds up to

an estimated 140k's with extremely heavy rain.  The whole area under Extreme weather watch.  Add to this

the fact that the Cleverdon River is dammed by slips and has already burst it banks.

JimNZ

Archived