Nanaimo (ZNA) to Refuge Cove (YRC) in British Columbia

bernd1151

Kenmore Air does this 45 min. flight regularly and as the weather was fine I thought to have a look what Refuge Cove, located some 150 km northwest of Vancouver in the heart of the Desolation Sound, is all about

Loading freight in Nanaimo

1.jpg

2.jpg

What a superb scenery

3.jpg

4.jpg

Crossing the Straight of Georgia

5.jpg

We’ll soon pass Powell River

6.jpg

Endless coastal beauty

8.jpg

We have reached "our" cove

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Here is a quick look at the map

RefugeCove1.jpg

RefugeCove2.jpg

The wonderful Refuge Cove scenery is freeware and was developed by the talented Larry Robinson, who has given us already the Nanaimo waterfront

Great shots Bernd! I think they capture some of the feel of the area.

I'm glad you discovered the Refuge Cove scenery. I'll try to fix it up more sometime. There is a reserved seaplane dock with a sign at the end of the dock but it's a bit hard to see unless you zoom in as you approach.  I've been on the Kenmore Seattle - Nanaimo - Refuge Cove route (flights 410 - 411) many times; I never tired of it. In a couple of weeks I'll be on this flight once again in part to get more photos for possible future projects.  I might add that in all the years I flew up there and back, Kenmore never failed to pick me up, regardless of the weather. Knowing that was always reassuring as I was sitting on the dock waiting for the characteristic sound of a Beaver. If necessary, Kenmore will fly all the way up from Seattle just to pick up one person.

Thanks a lot my friends for your kind comments

2 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

...and bernd-dandy shots!

Now that's a new one. Love it, Bermuda :)

1 hour ago, Larry_R said:

I've been on the Kenmore Seattle - Nanaimo - Refuge Cove route (flights 410 - 411) many times; I never tired of it. 

Larry, I am green with envy

40 minutes ago, BamaKevin said:

Is that the Aerosoft Beaver?

Hi Kevin,

this is the default Microsoft Beaver with enhanced outside textures from Larry Robinson. I also have the Aerosoft one, but I like the textures of the VC of the default Beaver better. That is why I use this one more often. I hope that Milviz will bring out its version soon.

Here’s a funny story about the area around Refuge Cove, usually just referred to as Desolation Sound. One day we were drifting along with little wind off of Prideaux Haven. See the attached chart, upper right.  One of the commercial carriers lands nearby and hails us. We get in the dinghy and row over. The pilot steps out onto the float and asks ‘Where is Prideaux Haven?’ Of course we are thinking to ourselves, ‘if you are flying passengers up here, shouldn’t you know?’  :) We say we will show him on a chart, does he have one? He pulls out his aeronautical sectional chart and asks us to point out Prideaux. This is very funny to a sailor; that sort of chart is completely useless for this purpose. In fact even with a good marine chart Prideaux is a tricky place.  I think most of the time the seaplanes don’t try to enter but wait for people to be brought out in dinghies.  For me the message is that as with boats, local knowledge is required to be safe in this area.

(The other places I’ve circled on the map are common pick up and drop off points.)

Desolation sound chart.jpg

Thanks a lot, gents

On 22.7.2016 at 5:52 PM, PDX Flyer said:

Great shot my friend.  You should be proud.

:):) Thanks buddy

3 hours ago, Bluebear said:

Did you tried the new Grumman Mallard from Milton Shupe and Team?
blends perfekt with this wonderful scenery ;)

No Bluebear, I didn't try it yet, but I will for sure. Both the Goose and the Mallard are perfect for this

3 hours ago, Julio Garcia said:

Superklasse Fotos.

Gracie mille, Julio

Archived