OpenLC USA : are you ready ?

dominique

Have you planned your first flight or will you let be guided by the inspiration of the moment ?

I think I'll fly Glamorous Gal from Ogden UT to Durango La Plata CO first, to get a (salted) taste of the GSL and Western mountains/deserts. My second should be Sarasota to Miami with a  slower aircraft like the T6 to check the swamps and urban coastal areas. Or maybe the other way round, first Florida then the West, I'll see :).

You ?

So much to do...

GA around the north east, domestic B377 routes while waiting for the Connie, Texas International routes around Texas and into Mexico in the DC-9, LIAT HS-748 around the Carribean.  The list goes on... and on.

3 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

First, I will fly around KBGR and KBHB, then I will try the Hawaiian Islands followed by the Caribbean.

Greg

Hawaii is certainly a place that will also come fast in my program. I still fly (with Global and Vector) the old LC map from FSGenesis in FS9 (or was it FS2k2 ?)  ! 

I plan on flying out of my home airport of KNEW down to the Caribbean. The ORBX freeware KNEW is pretty nice, and I'm excited to see how it looks with the new LC. I'm also hoping New Orleans got the new, fancy night light treatment, as New Orleans is a night life sort of city :D

6 minutes ago, Captain Z said:

I plan on flying out of my home airport of KNEW down to the Caribbean. The ORBX freeware KNEW is pretty nice, and I'm excited to see how it looks with the new LC. I'm also hoping New Orleans got the new, fancy night light treatment, as New Orleans is a night life sort of city :D

:D

All the Mississippi channels might be interesting for a low flying around Houma too, if we get a good autogen there and no blue waters. And Vector non optional either. Did that in a boat looong ago. Gatorflow ;)...

10 hours ago, dominique said:

:D

All the Mississippi channels might be interesting for a low flying around Houma too, if we get a good autogen there and no blue waters. And Vector non optional either. Did that in a boat looong ago. Gatorflow ;)...

Oh yeah, I'm certainly looking forward to exploring. The trip to the Caribbean will just be my first flight. I look forward to seeing how OLC compares to the real thing.

Gatorflow would be great...lol :P Probably not on the to do list for ORBX though. I actually just had a Gator Po-Boy a day ago.

The excitement builds for OLC NA's release. I think I will add some of the other flights in this thread to my list. They look like fun, too. :) Happy Flying.

Z you might need to explain to folks here that a Po-Boy is a big sandwich.

Damn good food in the great state of LA.

As for me, I don't know.  Colorado or Utah maybe.  Then the Southeast, down in NM and AZ.  Someplace not flat.

I am ready and raring to go!

Here is my next flight plan:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1h6KlA6p6SakUCHRdfacKPz93sRM

I have similar flight plans for Canada, Europe, and the World. I have flown the Europe one three times, Canada twice, and the World once.

I am on my third go at Canada now, and I am really anxious for USA to arrive!

10 minutes ago, boris4356 said:

I have similar flight plans for Canada, Europe, and the World. I have flown the Europe one three times, Canada twice, and the World once.

Impressive Boris, really is, a lot of dedication and thoughtful planning !  Your first flight is going to be from Northern Maine regional to Burlington then ?  What kind of aircraft ?

1 hour ago, dominique said:

Impressive Boris, really is, a lot of dedication and thoughtful planning !  Your first flight is going to be from Northern Maine regional to Burlington then ?  What kind of aircraft ?

Thanks Dominique,

I fly the A2A B-17. I am retired, and fly a few hours a day.

Yes, Northern Maine regional to Burlington will be my first flight.  I will save the flight at Burlington. Then the next day I will fly LEG 2 from Burlington to Williamsport Regional Airport, and save the flight. Then leg 3 and so on. I just keep flying to the next airport. Basically I fly one leg per day, from one airport to the next. This map will take me approx one year to complete.

The stars are OrbX freeware airports, the circles are default airports, and the diamonds are Orbx airports that I haven't linked as of yet.

Bill

7 minutes ago, boris4356 said:

Thanks Dominique,

I fly the A2A B-17. I am retired, and fly a few hours a day.

Yes, Northern Maine regional to Burlington will be my first flight.  I will save the flight at Burlington. Then the next day I will fly LEG 2 from Burlington to Williamsport Regional Airport, and save the flight. Then leg 3 and so on. I just keep flying to the next airport. Basically I fly one leg per day, from one airport to the next. This map will take me approx one year to complete.

The stars are OrbX freeware airports, the circles are default airports, and the diamonds are Orbx airports that I haven't linked as of yet.

Bill

A great aircraft. I enjoyed very much the fs9 version but, for fsx then p3d, I went to the 377 for a quadri-radials. And as the Connie is on the radar screen...

The difficulty in multi-legs journey is to find an interesting geography everyday. I suppose that each of your legs is crafted with that in mind and thats why you do  lot of zigzaging ?

44 minutes ago, dominique said:

A great aircraft. I enjoyed very much the fs9 version but, for fsx then p3d, I went to the 377 for a quadri-radials. And as the Connie is on the radar screen...

The difficulty in multi-legs journey is to find an interesting geography everyday. I suppose that each of your legs is crafted with that in mind and thats why you do  lot of zigzaging ?

Yes, I really love the B-17!

You are right about the zig zagging. It is also to make each flight a comfortable length and still be able to land at as many airports as possible.

Bill

2 hours ago, boris4356 said:

Impressive flight plan.  Why are the routes colored differently, if I may ask?

5 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Impressive flight plan.  Why are the routes colored differently, if I may ask?

The only purpose of the routes being coloured differently is so the map is a bit easier to follow. It is basically one long route. Previous flight plans I made had lines of the same colour crossing each other, and sometimes it could be really confusing to figure out where you were at.

Bill

I think I'll start with KLEB (featured in one of Iain's screenshots, here) and explore that New Hampshire/Vermont region, where I lived years ago. And then explore the Phoenix and Tucson regions, in my current state of residence.  I'm also curious about openLC's depiction of Grand Canyon, not sure whether openLC can beat out the various available Grand Canyon photo sceneries.

4 hours ago, teecee said:

Looking forward to the East Coast plus Mississippi and Florida, and hoping the Smokey's and the Appalachian mountains are well covered. Teecee.

... and keep your ears & eyes open for the chaotic pilot who will fly over Jackson, MS, Terry. That will be me, maybe dropping off some Yorkshire pudding and Tasmanian single malt for you B).

I like flying the Mooney Bravo around New England, New York,and Pennsylvania, so I'll do that for the first week or so.  Then maybe another coast to coast (I've done three so far).  Maybe another Portland (ME) to Portland (OR).  I love the base and Vector so far - can't wait to see the LC.

COAST to COAST

Starting at Palm Springs (KPSP) in California and ending up in Bar Harbor (KBHB) in Maine. This epic journey is divided up into short 1 or 2 hour flights for a good GA Aircraft like the Piper Comanche or Beech Baron.

It hits numerous ORBX airports like Sedona, Telluride and Meigs Field, here's the flight plan

https://skyvector.com/?ll=42.224178508518115,-94.05468749467283&chart=3

48 minutes ago, Ben77 said:

COAST to COAST

Starting at Palm Springs (KPSP) in California and ending up in Bar Harbor (KBHB) in Maine. This epic journey is divided up into short 1 or 2 hour flights for a good GA Aircraft like the Piper Comanche or Beech Baron.

It hits numerous ORBX airports like Sedona, Telluride and Meigs Field, here's the flight plan

https://skyvector.com/?ll=42.224178508518115,-94.05468749467283&chart=3

Hi Ben

Clicking your link, SV opens up but with only my own last flightplan, not yours. Anyway that sounds a good plan ;), like Ken's in the post above yours ! Never did a C2C because the default LC  makes me cringe and the only existing LC map  for the CONUS is a very old and outdated FSgenesis. Now definitely comes the time !

10 hours ago, Stillwater said:

... and keep your ears & eyes open for the chaotic pilot who will fly over Jackson, MS, Terry. That will be me, maybe dropping off some Yorkshire pudding and Tasmanian single malt for you B).

Don't be too chaotic and aim well Gerold because if I remember well - it was quite a long time ago I was there and Teecee may correct me - a lot of Ms counties are dry around Jacksons :P ! No booze.

Sorry Dominique, try this link instead

https://skyvector.com/?ll=39.34109192812706,-92.4353667031231&chart=301&zoom=12&fpl= KPSP KSEZ KTEX KPUB KGCK KTOP KBRL KMDW KYIP CYYZ CYUL KBGR KBHB

And just remember, this is just a suggested route, half the fun is planning your own routes but feel free to use this one as a basis :)

p.s. this one uses KMDW as a substitute for Meigs Fields as it's not featured in skyvector obviously and also it takes a little dip into Canada and hence the use of International Airports for Customs reasons.....just to keep it real!

Thanks Ben, it works now. Good route ! I agree entirely, half the fun is doing your own planning or research with SV, Google Earth and Wikipedia. In the coming months,  I think of using the airmail routes of the 30's that I spoke of in my other thread about OpenLC US, with an aircraft with a big radial (A2A Texan) and, as much as I can, without the navaids. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airmails_of_the_United_States

6 hours ago, dominique said:

Thanks Ben, it works now. Good route ! I agree entirely, half the fun is doing your own planning or research with SV, Google Earth and Wikipedia. In the coming months,  I think of using the airmail routes of the 30's that I spoke of in my other thread about OpenLC US, with an aircraft with a big radial (A2A Texan) and, as much as I can, without the navaids. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airmails_of_the_United_States

Hi, Dom.  I've already started on the west coast legs of the 30's airmail routes.  The map itself is a great reference for planning flights.  Thanks for that!  When OpenLC US comes out, it will be fun to finish up with Central and Eastern US.

13 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Hi, Dom.  I've already started on the west coast legs of the 30's airmail routes.  The map itself is a great reference for planning flights.  Thanks for that!  When OpenLC US comes out, it will be fun to finish up with Central and Eastern US.

Hey Stew, you are ahead of me, I am planning right now a VFR flight from Seattle to Portland, first leg of route 8 :)  ! 

1 minute ago, dominique said:

Hey Stew, you are ahead of me, I am planning right now a VFR flight from Seattle to Portland, first leg of route 8 :)  ! 

Spent the night in Medford, OR, and will continue to KSFO today.  See you there! :)

Archived