Friday Harbor - Out of Memory errors in FSX

dvj

I sat in my parking space at KFHR, in the tricycle, and in 5 minutes, give or take, the OOM warning started chiming.  At start-up in the parking space, I had about 800,000 vas remaining, and it steadily dropped from there.  I won't even bother to start with an airplane.  What's the point?  There's something really messed up at this place, so I've disabled the airport and will move on to other locales and leave this one alone until someone figures out what the h311 is wrong here.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flying anything other than the FSX default aircraft will cause an OOM in about 30 seconds.  water or air traffic, people flow, clutter, all off. 1024 resolution. Blooming off,  LOD at 7.5, but it also crashes at LOD 4.5  I'm running my regular FSX settings that I use with all other ORBX scenery which don't OOM, so that's not at issue.  Hard reboot, soft reboot did not change anything.   

Here are my settings that I use as default for all my FTX products.

Target frame rate: 38

Preview DirectX 10

lens flare: no

Light bloom: no

Advanced animations: yes

Global texture resolution: very high

Aircraft casts shadows on the ground

aircraft casts shadows on itself

level of detail radius: large

Mesh complexity: 100

Mesh resolution: 2 m

Texture resolution: 15 cm

Water effects: high 2.x

Scenery complexity: extremely dense

Autogen density: extremely dense

Special effects detail: high

Cloud draw distance: 100mi

Thermal visualization: none

Detailed clouds, density: maximum

weather changes over time: low

Traffic: non selected

FSX default aircraft frame rates are between 10 and 18 FPS around this airport with the above settings.

There is defiantly a glitch somewhere in the scenery. Lots of variables,  may be hard for you to sort this out. 

-

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

The way I understand (I'm a user) you have a very reasonable rig, but "FSX core" attempts to render the scenery only using the CPU - does not use the memory and GPU processing. Therefore, the changes in the scenery display has to wait for the CPU unburden.;)

Voyager

I think I understand, this is another FSX thing, but dam, I make a 1:06 flight departing from and returning to the same airport with plenty of VAS on hand and good FPS, and even several minutes after FSX decides to reload scenery for no reason, FSX finds a way to screw things up. Good grief!

Chime in here. Lovely scenery guys, but like others definitely something wrong at this airport - as I get increasing stutters after takeoff if I hang around Friday Harbor and my FPS is 14-17FPS. If I take the plane over the other side of the island my FPS goes back to normal (30 FPS)

My Rig is i7 4770k Overclocked to 4.4Mhz and a 4 Gig Nvidia 980 card  - am running DX10Fixer, Next Weather, Rex Textures...

FSS0217647,FSS0372544,FSS0423521, etc etc

I wonder. Is this is a problem related to the fact that FSX uses Friday Harbor as the default launch scenery? Is this a Steam version by mistake?  Anyway, just tried it again with all of my settings at half values and went OOM pretty quickly.   Oh well. 

-d

Last week I did some VAS testing at KFHR with varying LOD radii. I don't know if it adds anything to the discussion at this point but I thought I'd share the results anyway. Fresh install of both FSX and P3D with only ORBX scenery installed. Default C172 taking off and landing on Rwy 34. All sliders to the right - full detail on everything. 1024 textures in FSX and 2048 in P3D. Just a quick flight to 2500' AGL and a loop back for landing. The remaining VAS is shown in the FSX and P3D columns as measured by FSUIPC. Framerates varied from 28-45 (didn't get an average). The FSX OOM was on the runway before takeoff.

LOD Radius          FSX               P3D

----------------          -------             --------

7.5                   OOM          1469044

6.5                 328886         1508552

5.5                 576364         1547280

4.5                 791316         1718288

Doug

Interesting discovery I made this evening. Pondering this Friday Harbour mess and generally fiddling I decided to disable Vertical Sync. Guess what...No more blurries or stutters. The slight downside is the bit of tearing  on the windshield surround when I turn my head suddenly. (TrackIR) Which I can live with.

I'm not saying it's a cure but it works for me. I'm also not saying it has anything to do with VAS (whatever that is)

1 hour ago, dvj said:

I wonder. Is this is a problem related to the fact that FSX uses Friday Harbor as the default launch scenery? ...

-d

That is a very interesting thought. I wonder if setting up the Trike there and saving that and then making it the default flight might help some that are experiencing the OOM issues.

1 hour ago, Triplane said:

Last week I did some VAS testing at KFHR with varying LOD radii. I don't know if it adds anything to the discussion at this point but I thought I'd share the results anyway. Fresh install of both FSX and P3D with only ORBX scenery installed. Default C172 taking off and landing on Rwy 34. All sliders to the right - full detail on everything. 1024 textures in FSX and 2048 in P3D. Just a quick flight to 2500' AGL and a loop back for landing. The remaining VAS is shown in the FSX and P3D columns as measured by FSUIPC. Framerates varied from 28-45 (didn't get an average). The FSX OOM was on the runway before takeoff.

LOD Radius          FSX               P3D

----------------          -------             --------

7.5                   OOM          1469044

6.5                 328886         1508552

5.5                 576364         1547280

4.5                 791316         1718288

Doug

I think those numbers speak volumes regarding what one sets LOD to in FSX. And makes it hard to see how someone with P3D could be having any problems at all with OOM's.

I went back and re-read all the posts in this thread so far, one thing that sticks out is that some don't indicate, somewhere, which of the 5 flavors of FSX they use and which DX version. I think it could be helpful to be able to list at least 3 versions in the profile area. 3 versions would allow for those intrepid souls who carry the heavy mantle of dealing with FSX, FSX SE, and at least one of the P3D's simultaneously.

2 hours ago, FLighT said:

I think those numbers speak volumes regarding what one sets LOD to in FSX. And makes it hard to see how someone with P3D could be having any problems at all with OOM's.

I went back and re-read all the posts in this thread so far, one thing that sticks out is that some don't indicate, somewhere, which of the 5 flavors of FSX they use and which DX version. I think it could be helpful to be able to list at least 3 versions in the profile area. 3 versions would allow for those intrepid souls who carry the heavy mantle of dealing with FSX, FSX SE, and at least one of the P3D's simultaneously.

FSX box, DX10 w/ Fixer.  I practically never have OOMs flying LOD 5.5, VFR, no jetliners, & w/ ASN if the mood strikes me.

Some more grist for the mill - I started up on the apron at ORCAS with the Just Flight C152 and let the aircraft just sit there. At about 15 minutes the computer hung.  My VAS reading from FSUIPC was 1.44 GB.  If I fly from ORCAS, it is after about 15 minutes that the computer hangs.  I have FSX with DirectX10.

Nigel

Vancouver

Just to buy in here, I too am getting issues at KFHR. VAS ping ping warning after short flights in the region, FPS rates down, some blurries and defiantly much longer load times.

I have a high end system (check spoiler) have around 70 orbx airports including YMML and YBBN and can fly most the time with all sliders at max and with VAS running between 1.5 to 2Gb. Even rebooting and doing fresh starts at KFHR do not last long and get oom. VAS soon drops to less than 1GB, then oom's happen somewhere in the 250 to 500Mb VAS range.

Heading quickly out of the area in the F-16 and at altitude soon restores VAS to over 1Gb

Hope this helps, Cheers Anton.

10 hours ago, dominique said:

You are absolutely right, this is a traditional flying ground for OOM or problems of that kind in FSX and P3Dv2. Seattle is known to be heavy on the simulator and most of us also have several OrbX airports in this area which are superb but notoriously demanding, Orcas not being the last. I pass on buying anything in a 200 miles radius now...  

Vancouver is pretty tough too.  Not as bad as Seattle but tough.  I've had issues in the San Juan Islands for a while now. 

I'm not 100% sure that is KFHR that is the root cause of the problem either.  I am willing to bet that there are people here in this thread that will still encounter VAS/OOM issues in this area with just FTX PNW installed, and a few surrounding airports.

It was 2013. Got rid of it, wasn't working right, things were missing, little things like My Traffic control panel or configuration tools... Not sure what happened. Can't find disc, here somewhere... one of those...

Sue

Well...FWIW, I have been trying my damnedest to have problems with KFHR and can't do it hahaha...

Here's me touring around on the ground for about 20 min. Then I went and did a touch and go at CYYJ, flew back around the west side of the island, did a bit of looking around and landed back in KFHR after about an hour of flying and still have tons of VAS left, and the cool thing I found was that if I climb to higher altitudes my VAS refills itself....

KFHR A2A.PNG

KFHR A2A 1.PNG

Interesting discovery I made this evening. Pondering this Friday Harbour mess and generally fiddling I decided to disable Vertical Sync. Guess what...No more blurries or stutters. The slight downside is the bit of tearing  on the windshield surround when I turn my head suddenly. (TrackIR) Which I can live with.

I'm not saying it's a cure but it works for me. I'm also not saying it has anything to do with VAS (whatever that is)

Ron, it's Virtual Address Space. Think of it as the work area of memory that is available for the PC to run an application, in our case FSX/P3D etc. And the more we have the better the sim will run. Here's the Wiki page on the subject - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_address_space

Cheers Anton. (iPad using Tapatalk)

I just set LOD to 5.5 from 7.5 and no more OOM errors (yet?).

Flying the Carenado Bonanza A36 at 3k AGL over Friday Harbor with about VAS available of 1 GB.

On the ground at parking area #1 ready to roll with about VAS available of 1.3 GB.

FSX, DX10, Win XP 64 bit, i2600 at 3.8Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 2 GB EVGA 750 Ti SC video card.

Exclusive op sys vol for FSX only.

1 hour ago, FriLa said:

Some scenery files have very strange suffixes! Among others I have:

KFHR_PLC_Grass_Off.off.off

KFHR_PLC_Veg_off.bgl.off.off

It seems that the control panel does not work properly.

The control panel works absolutely fine. Those suffixes are used to disable placement files and are consistent with every other airport.

Those files you're referring to are necessary dummy files. Please do not delete them.

Here's an update:

99% of the bugs reported have been fixed, we're just testing the changes.

Regarding users with OOM issues, we're currently testing another method of handling the PR which should improve just how much data is being loaded at one time.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank the users that took the time to present more information on their issues. Because of this, we were able to figure out the best way of tackling the situation. I'll keep you updated. :)

Thanks,

Russ

11 hours ago, antonvs said:

Ron, it's Virtual Address Space. Think of it as the work area of memory that is available for the PC to run an application, in our case FSX/P3D etc. And the more we have the better the sim will run. Here's the Wiki page on the subject - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_address_space

I know it is, I was just being facetious. :D

Thanks Russ,

ive only got a very  modest rig, by today's requirements, and the only problems I've had are long loading times and  a slightly reduced frame rate, which is common for this area in some places, I've not had any OOM's...hope you manage to sort out everyone's problems in the end...

Cheers,

Just finished a 40 minute flight at KFHR.  Smooth all they way.  Half was done with weather turned off, the other half with ASN on and had 15 kts crosswind.  The system never degraded during this time.  The next time I fly I will turn up the water to get some wave action.

I was flying an A2A Ci82 with Terrain all at full, water mid 1.x, scenery complexity full, auto gen very dense, special effects high, shadows on, land detail on, Air Line traffic at 8%, Gen aviation 7%, apt vehicle min, road veh. 10%, ships 25%, leisure boats 10 %.

I was using 1400 x 1050 x 32 screen setting, target frame unlimited, global texture very high, filter @ tri-linear, lens flare and advanced animations checked.

KFHR was set with high res textures, grass all, trees and shrubs disabled, misc settings all checked. 

My frames 30 - 35 during pre flight, 30 - 32 during power up, 20 - 22 during taxl 29 - 32 in the air.  I did several touch and goes at KFHR and one at Burden Field.

My system is a Intel core i7 980X tweaked up, video card MSI 970 4G Ge Force 256 bit and I have 8G of ram.  FSX is installed on my E drive which is a 200 GB  partition of a 300 GB WD drive. E:Flight Simulator X,

I had a system crash recently and had to reinstall most everything.  My scenery is nearly all, like 99.9%, ORBX.

Hope this info helps with the scenery problem.

Tom Hibben

PS:  I am using basic FSX.

Here's an update:

99% of the bugs reported have been fixed, we're just testing the changes.

Regarding users with OOM issues, we're currently testing another method of handling the PR which should improve just how much data is being loaded at one time.

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank the users that took the time to present more information on their issues. Because of this, we were able to figure out the best way of tackling the situation. I'll keep you updated. [emoji4]

Thanks,

Russ

Russ, I just remembered something perhaps unrelated happened when I installed KFHR that I though might be worth investigating.

While Installing kfhr I got the following error message towards the end of the installation:

C:\users\anton\appdata\roam\ms\fsx-se\dll.xml not found

As I only have FSX:SE installed, the KFHR installer should have been looking here

C:\users\anton\appdata\roam\ms\fsx\dll.xml

I.e. \fsx\ not \Fsx-se\

I aborted the suggested overwrite of the file and after the the installation I added the necessary cfg lines into my dll.xml file manually.

Hope this helps

18 minutes ago, antonvs said:

Russ, I just remembered something perhaps unrelated happened when I installed KFHR that I though might be worth investigating.

While Installing kfhr I got the following error message towards the end of the installation:

C:\users\anton\appdata\roam\ms\fsx-se\dll.xml not found

As I only have FSX:SE installed, the KFHR installer should have been looking here

C:\users\anton\appdata\roam\ms\fsx\dll.xml

I.e. \fsx\ not \Fsx-se\

I aborted the suggested overwrite of the file and after the the installation I added the necessary cfg lines into my dll.xml file manually.

Hope this helps

Hi Anton,

I'm not familiar with that error myself, but I'll refer someone in the know to this thread.

Thanks,

Russ

58 minutes ago, THibben said:

Just finished a 40 minute flight at KFHR.  Smooth all they way.  Half was done with weather turned off, the other half with ASN on and had 15 kts crosswind.  The system never degraded during this time.  The next time I fly I will turn up the water to get some wave action.

I was flying an A2A Ci82 with Terrain all at full, water mid 1.x, scenery complexity full, auto gen very dense, special effects high, shadows on, land detail on, Air Line traffic at 8%, Gen aviation 7%, apt vehicle min, road veh. 10%, ships 25%, leisure boats 10 %.

I was using 1400 x 1050 x 32 screen setting, target frame unlimited, global texture very high, filter @ tri-linear, lens flare and advanced animations checked.

KFHR was set with high res textures, grass all, trees and shrubs disabled, misc settings all checked. 

My frames 30 - 35 during pre flight, 30 - 32 during power up, 20 - 22 during taxl 29 - 32 in the air.  I did several touch and goes at KFHR and one at Burden Field.

My system is a Intel core i7 980X tweaked up, video card MSI 970 4G Ge Force 256 bit and I have 8G of ram.  FSX is installed on my E drive which is a 200 GB  partition of a 300 GB WD drive. E:Flight Simulator X,

I had a system crash recently and had to reinstall most everything.  My scenery is nearly all, like 99.9%, ORBX.

Hope this info helps with the scenery problem.

Tom Hibben

PS:  I am using basic FSX.

Just finished another flight with the addition of water at 2x and trees an shrubs enabled.  Essentially the same frames, maybe 1 -2 FPS less but very flyable.  I also forgot to mention I am using TRK IR and Plan G.

Tom 

Hi fellow:

I am curious how you folks get the nifty little VAS process box that shows your usage.  Can someone point me in the correct direction on how to do this.

I have process monitor which provides the listing of processes by Microsoft and also I am familiar with the FSUIPC tab that can be set to show a value in the title bar or green box....but this other thing is new to me.

FYI as mentioned earlier, my FSX performance in this area is taking a beating.  I can't really add anything to the overall discussion. 

I have determined though that by deactivating Friday Harbour, Anacortes and Don Govenstine's Victoria YYJ airport that my frames have gone from 15 to 24 which allow me to fly the area with GA planes.

40 minutes ago, fltsimguy said:

Hi fellow:

I am curious how you folks get the nifty little VAS process box that shows your usage.  Can someone point me in the correct direction on how to do this.

I have process monitor which provides the listing of processes by Microsoft and also I am familiar with the FSUIPC tab that can be set to show a value in the title bar or green box....but this other thing is new to me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6atkUYYWmkteHhkaG5aUkVpcnc/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Just my little contribution to this thread.....  I can not load FSX at ALL when I choose Friday Harbour. I need to load at another airport and then fly over to Friday Harbour!?!  Then when flying over I get huge frame rate drops, screen blurries and even airport textures not rendering correctly.  Something not right here at all.

2015-12-16_23-33-16-397.jpg

I also tried KHFR in FSX Acceleration and P3D3. I use MyTraffic 6 on both sims.

In FSX, the default Ultralight was not drawn, only the propeller was seen. I had good frames with the settings after the installation. I tried to change the aircraft. After loading Alabeos PA38 I could see the aircraft first, switching to the cockpit made my screen black. The aircraft was still flying in the background. This seems to be related to a lack of memory on my system under FSX Acc.

There's no problem so far in P3D3.

That's my first ORBX scenery, which did not work in FSX.

Cheers Dan

My System:

i7 3770K 3.5GHz OC to 4.5GHz, 16 GB, DDR3-1600, Asus Sabertooth Z77, LGA1155, PCI-E 3.0, SATA II 2x1TB Western Digital Caviar Black, 7200rpm, 64MB, SATA III 1x500GB 1x 1TB SAMSUNG SSDs, Asus GTX-770 DirectCU II 2GB GDDR5, Win10/64 

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2015 at 2:57 AM, Russell Linn said:

There are only a few people so far that are getting a bad framerate. No framerate issues were found in beta testing, but that doesn't mean we're not going to help the handful of people that are experiencing problems. If you're experiencing a poor framerate even with everything disabled, then that suggests that the airport its self isn't the issue, but again, we're looking in to it anyway.

The loading time is likely down to the large PR coverage (please remember this scenery is a whole island, not just an airport), which we're experimenting with a solution now.

Thanks,

Russ

It took me a while to realize that some of my issues were caused outside of FSX.  Look at the screen shot and you will see that sometimes after a fresh reboot that we have competition with svhost.exe for our CPU Cycles.  If I wait until whatever is causing this CPU load to close, or try to close it myself, my FPS suffers.  I won't fly out of Friday Harbor until the load from svhost.exe has dropped so FSX can use more cycles.  If you notice at the bottom corner of the screen shot that 99percent of the CPU is used while FSX only is using 67 percent.  Just FYI.  fisheye

CPU Usage while flying.JPG

Archived