Friday Harbor - Out of Memory errors in FSX

dvj

Since installing Friday Harbor, FSX is crashing with the infamous out of memory error.  Even at texture setting 1024 and a whole bunch of other things removed in the configurator, like people flow, clutter, boat docks..... Removing Friday Harbor from the scenery library fixes the problem. Seems a bit buggy for a scenery install compared to your other products.   Yes, I installed the latest library files.  And using the default FSX Trike Ultralight aircraft for these tests 

oh well

- d

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same issue and not to happy with that purchase. There is something about these new scenery's that just perform poorly on my system. I can go to KRDD, KMRY, KJAC, KSTS, KEGE, KPSP, and KSEZ and have no problems but KFHR and KEKA just don't perform for me and I get OOM's even on low settings. Maybe the tech they used works better in P3D as I can see FSX is showing its age and you got to move forward. I see a new SSD and P3D coming to me in the near future.  Josh

Hi dvj,

It's very odd that you're getting memory errors so easily. If you have the texture resolution at 1024 it'll drop the texture load on the buildings to ~70mb. With most features disabled, the airport its self shouldn't be taking up much memory at all. The biggest memory eater is the PR as there is so much coverage, but it's still not an excessive size.

When it comes to memory errors, it could possibly be one of a million and one things, maybe not even related to KFHR but even in the surrounding area. Could you give us an idea of your density settings and other add ons you have active? Granted, you may be running other products fine, but it will bring me closer to pin pointing what your problem may be. :)

Thanks,
Russ

Hi Russ  I will do some more testing. On my first flight I left Friday Harbor and flew to KORS and then back to KHFR and upon arrival I get the OOM. I also get blurries over the PR areas not all but just some.  I have my textures at 1024 and density at dense . I have the same issue with Eureka, if I do a short hop over to KFOT and then back again I will get a OOM on arrival or just after. I have only had this experience with just these two areas as I never get a OOM anywhere else in ORBX land. Some of my friends have the same issue and others don't. One of my tech friends suggested to try a different video driver. I'm not running any add-ons except for AS and AccUfeel. I mostly fly the A2A Comanche. Could it be using the 40" TV the issue as I have to run it at 8x sparse Grid Supersampling to get a non shimmering picture. I'm also using DX10.  Josh

2 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

Hi Russ  I will do some more testing. On my first flight I left Friday Harbor and flew to KORS and then back to KHFR and upon arrival I get the OOM. I also get blurries over the PR areas not all but just some.  I have my textures at 1024 and density at dense . I have the same issue with Eureka, if I do a short hop over to KFOT and then back again I will get a OOM on arrival or just after. I have only had this experience with just these two areas as I never get a OOM anywhere else in ORBX land. Some of my friends have the same issue and others don't. One of my tech friends suggested to try a different video driver. I'm not running any add-ons except for AS and AccUfeel. I mostly fly the A2A Comanche. Could it be using the 40" TV the issue as I have to run it at 8x sparse Grid Supersampling to get a non shimmering picture. I'm also using DX10.  Josh

Thanks for the information, Freebird!

During beta testing, no memory issues came up, and a lot of customers are saying the performance is very good, so we're triple checking everything to find out why a few people are having issues. I'm also noting the add ons people are using, as just like any scenery, they do use memory also. The more information we get, the more likely we are to finding a solution for everyone :)

Thanks,
Russ

Same issue in FSX SE  only on KFHR. As soon as i enter within about 15 miles my vas usuage takes a huge drop and Iam out of memory by the time I land. Really nice piece of scenery but un flyable for now.

victoria +

vancouver+

pilots mesh

global / vector

canada / alaska olc

pnw /  anacortes

don grovestein victoria airport

DX10 fixer

settings : works well with all other orbx scenery

lod large   MC 75  MR 5   TR 15   water  low 2x  

SC very dense  AD very dense  ground unchecked Special effects high

OOM on runway at KFHR. (OrbX Lancair)  Only thing active is TrackIR, and EZDOK.  Settings of very dense scenery and dense autogen. Usable at Seattle !!  I have never had an OOM in P3D 2.5 before.  I have no other scenery in 2.5 but Orbx, Tongass Fjords, Vic+ and Vancouver 3.0. All set according to Holger's advice.

Dialed back to dense, and normal able to fly with Nemeth EC130, but <20 for FPS.

Somethiing rotten in Denmark...

I-7 @ 4.4gb 16 gb ram  Radeon R9 280X video card  Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  Less than 50 proceeses running before starting sim. 53 with P3D, TrackIR and EZDOK.

I Reduced my graphics from 8xSGS to 4xSGS turned off KORS, 776 and KBVS and everything off in the KFHR CP and flew a roundtrip to KORS and back with no weather. Slight improvement VAS wise but still got down into the 12 to 15% range but no OOM. Closed FSX then restarted turned everything back on including weather still at 4xSGS did the route again  and landed but with only 8% VAS left and did not get a OOM. I did notice that I get the blurries over the Friday Harbor Island but when I get over to KORS Island everything is crisp and sharp. Also this machine is a dedicated Flight Sim rig and no other non essential programs are loaded into it. 

At KFHR I have not experienced any OOM's and VAS has remained at acceptable levels (FSX DX9), but one thing that has been very noticeable is that loading a flight there after a cold pc boot and booting of FSX, the load time at that AP is twice as long as at any of the other payware Orbx AP's I have (and I have them all for NA) that I can think of off the top of my head (2 minutes15 seconds versus about 1 minute). There must be an awful lot of high detail items loading up for the entire island, but then, with a download size of 1.4GB I didn't expect it to be a light weight.

I have seen VAS drop to close to OOM levels at KEKA but not at KFOT.

I don't do VAS(I've not suffered an OOM) or framerates but I do recognise blurries and stutters when they occur and KFHR is awash with them. Loading Friday Harbour also takes way longer than any Orbx airport I have! Something is definitely amiss. I can't remember the last time I turned stuff off, but I've pared FH down to the bone.

OK, I have to wade in as well.

Recognize that I have an older computer but I fly into Plan Spring, Tahoe, Redding and have no issues.

But Friday Harbour brings my system to its knees.  I turn off all traffic, I move my sliders to the left the best performance I can get so far is 15-16 fps, and slide show smoothness.

Then, I recall, Anacortes, which also had a big impact compared to my other FTX airports.  I never had been able to get that area to run smoothly either.

So, since Anacortes is "right next door" I'm also wondering if there is some spill over impact from that scenery or combo with both of these active that is impacting my system.

Basically, the area is not flyable in GA aircraft for me.  Perhaps a new computer might solve the problem.

If I move to another Orbx airport like Concrete directly from here, I get 26-28 frames in that area with sliders moved right and traffic at 16%.

Bryan

First I must say: I love the many charming details of that island and at the small airfields!

But there must be something wrong in the design of the airport KFHR! Loading time of the scenery is terrific long! What is happening during this time? I will not mention some minor bugs, but frames in KFHR are unflyable low, even with everything disabled.

Is this the reason that we get a 35 % discount on a brand new scenery because we early buyers are a team of betatesters?

I hope very much that I can fly there with acceptable frames and whish good luck in optimizing KFHR!

Cheers, Fritz

10 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I don't do VAS(I've not suffered an OOM) or framerates but I do recognise blurries and stutters when they occur and KFHR is awash with them. Loading Friday Harbour also takes way longer than any Orbx airport I have! Something is definitely amiss. I can't remember the last time I turned stuff off, but I've pared FH down to the bone.

Have to agree with Ron. Sorry guys but KFHR is the worst performing airport I have.  Very soon after take off severe stutters start and checking my FPS I find  they plummet to around 5 FPS and fluctuate wildly. I then loaded FSX only, no weather or other addons, same problem. Load times for KFHR are long compared to other airports.

However, I did see a difference when I turned MyTrafficX off completely. I then started ActiveTrafficManager after loading FSX again. That screen showed about 170 aircraft in the vicinity even though I had ORBX NA AI traffic active. I then forced an air traffic reduction to 50 active aircraft (with ActiveTrafficManager) and FPS bounced back up again, still not the steady 30.9 (locked at 31) I am used to but my limited testing continues :)

By the way P3D v2.something (I have it on an SSD but rarely used) presents much the same stutters and low FPS.

Not sure if this helps.

Regards,

Roger

6 minutes ago, FriLa said:

First I must say: I love the many charming details of that island and at the small airfields!

But there must be something wrong in the design of the airport KFHR! Loading time of the scenery is terrific long! What is happening during this time? I will not mention some minor bugs, but frames in KFHR are unflyable low, even with everything disabled.

Is this the reason that we get a 35 % discount on a brand new scenery because we early buyers are a team of betatesters?

I hope very much that I can fly there with acceptable frames and whish good luck in optimizing KFHR!

Cheers, Fritz

There are only a few people so far that are getting a bad framerate. No framerate issues were found in beta testing, but that doesn't mean we're not going to help the handful of people that are experiencing problems. If you're experiencing a poor framerate even with everything disabled, then that suggests that the airport its self isn't the issue, but again, we're looking in to it anyway.

The loading time is likely down to the large PR coverage (please remember this scenery is a whole island, not just an airport), which we're experimenting with a solution now.

Thanks,

Russ

16 minutes ago, Syzygy said:

Have to agree with Ron. Sorry guys but KFHR is the worst performing airport I have.  Very soon after take off severe stutters start and checking my FPS I find  they plummet to around 5 FPS and fluctuate wildly. I then loaded FSX only, no weather or other addons, same problem. Load times for KFHR are long compared to other airports.

However, I did see a difference when I turned MyTrafficX off completely. I then started ActiveTrafficManager after loading FSX again. That screen showed about 170 aircraft in the vicinity even though I had ORBX NA AI traffic active. I then forced an air traffic reduction to 50 active aircraft (with ActiveTrafficManager) and FPS bounced back up again, still not the steady 30.9 (locked at 31) I am used to but my limited testing continues :)

By the way P3D v2.something (I have it on an SSD but rarely used) presents much the same stutters and low FPS.

Not sure if this helps.

Regards,

Roger

Interesting, that does help a lot. Thank you. :)

Russ

Hi All,

Not wanting to contradict the legitimate claims put here, but we need to see other points of view.

In my case, using P3Dv3 and all Orbx stuff available to it, KFHR behave reasonably.

So I have:

Parked at 6% loading: it takes about 1min25;

Full charging time: 2min 10 on average;

Performance on the airfield and its facilities: smooth and continuous, with an average of 27 FPS.

KFHRPERFORMANCE2015-12-18_8-56-36-787.jp

KFHRPERFORMANCE22015-12-18_8-59-57-319.j

Cheers,
Voyager

Voyager, do you get the same performance results with  fixed wing aircraft (say an A2A or RealAir) that you do with a helicopter?

Out of curiosity, has anyone checked to insure that when switching from 2048 to 1024 that the flag, or whatever is involved with that change, is actually working correctly? The default install put textures at 2048 initially when I installed KFHR. If I knew where to look, I would, LOL.

I also want to note that my performance at KFHR is not bad either (no blurries, VAS depletion, or excessive stuttering) but certainly it's not like where I'm currently flying my tours in northern NRM, for obvious reasons. I still think the load of all the nearby addon paywares AP's doesn't help either.

My experience is that frame rates are not too bad, but...I have FSUIPC and very soon after starting a flight with let's say with the Alabeo Waco, I start hearing the FSUIPC "ding" telling me an OOM is imminent. It feels a little like a memory leak.

42 minutes ago, FLighT said:

Voyager, do you get the same performance results with  fixed wing aircraft (say an A2A or RealAir) that you do with a helicopter?

Out of curiosity, has anyone checked to insure that when switching from 2048 to 1024 that the flag, or whatever is involved with that change, is actually working correctly? The default install put textures at 2048 initially when I installed KFHR. If I knew where to look, I would, LOL.

Yes, the same performance.

Note that with third party addon the information is not consistent because it depends on this addons.

But using Carenado S550 Citation, which is a known FPS eater, I got from inside the cabin, a slight fall in FPS, but still good. See the screenshots below.

Using the default Money Acclaim, the performance was excellent.

A2015-12-18_9-55-57-66.jpg

B2015-12-18_9-58-30-446.jpg

C2015-12-18_9-57-7-758.jpg

D2015-12-18_9-58-55-48.jpg

Voyager

Hello,

As I said on another post (in P3D V2), this scene is a real disaster for me in term of performance.
Ooms, stutter, blurry, low FPS, even after lowering  the textures of 2048 to 1024 and deactivated Victoria + and the addons of Larry Robinson (with it's even worse, I have a OOM before the end of the loading of the scene or just on arriving on the runway).
As soon as I move away from the area, everything returns to normal, as on all others Orbx scenes.

Guys let's not get silly with the dramatic terminology.  This thing is a long way from disaster.  No need to be disrespectful here.

Might be in need of a bit of optimization, but I will tell you that EVERYTHING in the Puget Sound region, from Swanson to Squamish, is suffering from it's own very location in the sim.  These are the toughest zip codes in FSX from a performance standpoint. 

I have issues at KHFR, same as many.  But I had them at KORS too.  And I believe that it is a function of all the stuff I have active in that area, which is FSDT Vancouver, Vancouver Plus and Victoria 3 + along with each and every FTX scenery there is (waiting still for Anacortes).  Throw in a bit of AI and some weather and you run out of memory pretty quick.

So to the extent there are some ways here to improve this scenery, let's assist Russ and his guys in a positive, logical manner.  Do your testing, post your results.  But please no need to pile on here.  These guys are doing a damn fine job and I want to see a lot more Turbulent Designs products on my hard drive in 2016 and beyond.

Hi Russ,

Further to my previous post concerning AI traffic.  I am clear of stutters and FPS are near normal averaging between 25-30.9 on circuit around KFHR after I did the following:

Started my computer

Norton antivirus off (I need it for other matters)

Reduced in task manager all non-essentials to 32 processes running

FSX.cfg shows texture_max_load 2048, Affinity Mask 14, No bufferpools, LOD radius 4.5

MyTrafficX off in Scenery configurator, however all other airports, regions etc etc active (everything active is normal for me)

ORBX NA AI traffic active

Started FSX, no addons, no weather etc, FSUIPC registered running

Loaded up A2A Piper Cherokee at KFHR parking 1 ramp GA small

Load time 2m 11 secs - very reasonable

Opening full screen, Cherokee warmed up and ready to roll FPS 30.9

Downsized and opened ActiveTrafficManager (ATM) - showed 121 planes in the vicinity

Forced ATM to reduce traffic to 5 planes and 0 boats (for test purposes)

ATM showed aircraft reduced by 116 planes, furthest deleted 97nm

Back to FSX full screen mode. Taxiing to runway 16 shows FPS 30.9

Lined up at 16 and ready to roll, FPS normal around 30.9

Took off but a few seconds out some bad stutters started, frames dropped for a short time to 5-10, then back to 27-30.9

Checked list of AI traffic and menu now shows 15 AI aircraft despite forcing to 5 earlier in ATM

Did a circuit and AI aircraft now enormous, checked ATM and number shows 160 aircraft

Forced ATM to 5 again

Back to FSX full screen

FSX aircraft menu shows 5 aircraft

Started another circuit but no stutters at all and FPS 25-30.9, aircraft in the menu increased to 9 then 12

Crossed threshold for a circuit and bump and the list of AI aircraft was enormous again

Closed out FSX

So, sorry for the long winded post but maybe it will trigger some thoughts, possibly there is an aircraft AI issue? But, I am certainly no expert and it could be just dumb luck for me. I know each setup is different but at least I have found what is causing my initial stutters (I think :)

Even though there are these small teething problems I have to say what a truly excellent airport and surrounding area this is. Once i get settled down this will become a favourite.

Thanks,

Roger

Roger I think you are on the right track sir, and the great detail in your post gives me some other ideas to try.

I just took a quick flight and generated an OOM.  No problem getting started and even OK frames.  Took off and fly 240 toward Victoria.  Overflew inner harbor there and turned north, along the coast toward CYYJ.  Veered a bit over water, and got an OOM just a few miles East of CYYJ (probably within sight of Holger's house). 

All was good but textures started getting blurry after passing over Victoria. Was pretty crisp up until that point.  No weather addons, just one of the ORBX weather themes (that one that is somewhat drizzly and overcast). 

I also do use AI traffic (My Traffic 6) but I had it dialed back to about 15 for airline traffic and 10 for GA.  Did not install ORBX AI traffic because I get too much duplicate traffic that way (Alaska Airlines, etc).  I will test it again with zero AI, which will help some but I think I can still generate an OOM in that area.

Have deactivated everything except my West Coast sceneries.  This time I deactivated the EU and Oceana FTX stuff  as well.  I've been working hard on my settings this week trying to get it good and stable and have been using this area as a test bed.  Pretty brutal, but if I can fly good and stable here, I can do it just about anywhere.  Earlier in the week I was taking off at W16 Monroe and I was unable to even get to KFHR without an OOM, so perhaps there is some improvement after all.

Hi,

I have not yet the Friday Harbor scenery but just in case, throughout the Seattle area (on my config), I noticed that if you fly with A2A aircraft with the map of the airplane opened, memory decreases slowly but surely until OOM (you can control it with the Windows resource monitor). Close the card, the decrease stops. Fsx Acceleration.

Regards,

Richard Portier

1 hour ago, Ripcord said:

Guys let's not get silly with the dramatic terminology.  This thing is a long way from disaster.  No need to be disrespectful here.

Personally, I had no intention of being disrespectful.
Perhaps, since I am French, I do not speak English (or very little) and I am using Google translator, my words are not really the ones I wanted.
Just wanted to say what was going in my P3D with the scene of KFHR, scène who is beautiful and successful by elsewhere.
You talk about KORS, I have no worries on this scène, even having taken off from KFHR. Neither with Squamish or Swanson. Worries are only with KFHR.
Now I do not know why some have no problems and others have ...

Otherwise, I also noticed that I have really a lot of traffic AI in Friday Harbor using only the AI traffic Orbx with sliders at 40 in P3D.

Thanks Handie.  Perhaps I misunderstood you.

This information is potentially helpful.  AI traffic sliders at 40 in P3D is a LOT of traffic!!!  I am amazed that you have no troubles at other airports in the region.

Do you use ORBX AI traffic for North America?

Using My Traffic 6 with P3D v2.5 here, but ORBX AI traffic not installed.

Doing a brief comparison of traffic settings:

Airlines 17, GA 10 -- this gives me 109 airplanes (from traffic explorer).

Airlines 11, GA 7 -- this reduced me to 79 airplanes

Airlines 9, GA 5 -- this reduced me to about 67 airplanes.

Not using any kind of traffic optimizer tool for testing purposes, although using that would clearly help. 

I did note that I get an FPS improvement of about Frames at each of the three increments.

3 minutes ago, Handie said:

Yes, only this Orbx AI traffic, as I said before.

Remove that traffic .bgl file and check results.  Interested to see if there are noticeable improvements.

Some of the AI models are known to give some problems in P3D, meaning they work but they don't work particularly efficiently.  Note that Holger's Victoria 3+ and Vancouver Plus might use some of the same models.

In fact I might go ahead and test that myself tomorrow when I have more time.

Arrived OK, but it was pretty blurry.   Lopez Island was the same way coming in (flew in from KBVS).

friday2.jpg

friday1.jpg

Loaded fine while I paused to take these screenshots, after about 2 full minutes.

Did not get an OOM, by the way, until I hit my V key over the airport.  That was it.  P3D gave me some ugly warning sign I'd never seen before, about not able to do my screenshot.  Then I hit the V again, and that was it.  Froze up and crashed to desktop. 

This is all after dialing down AI.  I had it set to Airlines 9, GA 5 -- about 67 airplanes.

So I just re-ran my own little AI traffic tests again, same aircraft and sequence as before and the traffic sliders in FSX all at zero.

This time I had absolutely no stutters, frames held steady at 30.9 and smooth flying. No apparent blurries either.

For me it is definitely a matter of AI traffic causing stutters and frame drops, I just have to find an acceptable level for this area rather than my generic settings.

I am off to enjoy Russ Linn's great work, without any traffic for the moment. But heck, quiet time never hurt anyone :)

Regards,
Roger

21 minutes ago, Ripcord said:

Again I need to repeat that I have troubles in this area before so there probably some other bad ju-ju at work here.

You are absolutely right, this is a traditional flying ground for OOM or problems of that kind in FSX and P3Dv2. Seattle is known to be heavy on the simulator and most of us also have several OrbX airports in this area which are superb but notoriously demanding, Orcas not being the last. I pass on buying anything in a 200 miles radius now...  

Well, I just hit a new issue here. I just set up a flight starting at KFHR, turned off UT2 in Task Manager, never turned on ASN, but did have TrackIR5 on. I used my A2A 172 with both a GTN750 set to map mode and a GTN650 set to TAWS mode. I flew with AP on so I could lock my altitude at 2000 feet and control my direction with the heading bug. I flew straight out until I reached 2000' (VAS around 1,000,000) flew a track directly over KORS to directly over Anacortes, turned over to the refinery area and on to KBVS (VAS at this point 1,300,000 -that's right, it went up). I made a 180 over KBVS (VAS still at 1,300,000 and as I flew over top of the refinery hit one of those invisible walls like at KEKA with a 1 second pause-I believe the pause is caused by FSX arbitrarily deciding to reload the entire scenery library. OK, VAS was still over 900,000 as I crossed back over Anacortes and returned to land at KFHR.

No problems as i make my approach, VAS is still sound at 800 to 900,000 and never dropped below 700,00 available. But then this as I approach runway 34:

Note texture issue on runway and taxi way.

2015-12-18_11-20-9-430.jpg

Touch down, what is going on here?

2015-12-18_11-20-48-337.jpg

and another

2015-12-18_11-21-6-626.jpg

I bring the plane to a stop, pause the sim, and go into the scenery library to reload it, mesh issue fixed

2015-12-18_11-23-50-776.jpg

Texture issue fixed

2015-12-18_11-24-47-0.jpg

Some additional notes:

VAS never dropped below 700,000 at any time.

I keep mesh set to 5 meters all the time.

I lock my frames at 30 inside FSX and use Nvidia Inspector to adjust almost everything else.

This PC has never had any scenery but Orbx, Tongass, and FSGlobal Ultimate mesh since I had it built for me by Jetline 2.5 years ago.

When I fly an Orbx region I have all FSGlobal entries in the scenery library unchecked.

My scenery library is correctly ordered.

All VAS #s shown above are the amount remaining.

OOM is not a problem for me, but, no idea what is wrong here.

Whatever is going on is way above my pay grade to understand, Too many hours at this already, going for my treadmill and no more simming today.

The way I understand (I'm a user) you have a very reasonable rig, but "FSX core" attempts to render the scenery only using the CPU - does not use the memory and GPU processing. Therefore, the changes in the scenery display has to wait for the CPU unburden.;)

Voyager

Hmm, removed all MY Traffic files from P3D 2.5 and got framerates up to 18-20 coming into KFHR . Started at 32 FPS at Anacortes, stayed there over KORS, still dropped over KFHR, but much improved by dialing back the airline and general aviation from 40% to 20%. (and removing My Traffic)

Just an FYI update...

Sue

Archived