Friday Harbor - Out of Memory errors in FSX

dvj

7 minutes ago, fisheye said:

It took me a while to realize that some of my issues were caused outside of FSX.  Look at the screen shot and you will see that sometimes after a fresh reboot that we have competition with svhost.exe for our CPU Cycles.  If I wait until whatever is causing this CPU load to close, or try to close it myself, my FPS suffers.  I won't fly out of Friday Harbor until the load from svhost.exe has dropped so FSX can use more cycles.  If you notice at the bottom corner of the screen shot that 99percent of the CPU is used while FSX only is using 67 percent.  Just FYI.  fisheye

Agreed from some of us with less than robust new computers one has to manage the load.

I have VicPlu, VanPlus, Every Orbx airport in the area, all of Don Govenstine's airports, my PWN is loaded to the hilt and the demand is huge.  So when I tried deactivating some of the outside influences, then my sims performance improved to where I could fly the area.

I am going to try also to shut off some processes to see if that will help, I have way too many running.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read your puter specs Nick....I can see why you wouldn't have an issue if things are setup correctly.

Moi on the other hand am using a i7-920, 3 ghz, 16 Gig RAM, 1.7 Mb - GTX260....a world of a difference....I have my cfg tweaked to the moon and back to allow for "reasonable" flying until my credit card allows me an opportunity to venture forth to something that looks like your machine...I am looking forward to that day...and even my wife is starting to have sympathy, which is a good thing.

cheers.

20 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

Hi fellow:

I am curious how you folks get the nifty little VAS process box that shows your usage.  Can someone point me in the correct direction on how to do this.

I have process monitor which provides the listing of processes by Microsoft and also I am familiar with the FSUIPC tab that can be set to show a value in the title bar or green box....but this other thing is new to me.

Here is a link to the VAS Monitor tool...

http://www.avsim.com/topic/450800-fsx-vas-monitor/

7 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Good luck with that.:)

Don't forget though that OOMs are as a result of the lack of VAS

and that has nothing to do with PC specifications.

This is correct. It's interesting to watch the VAS readings as you fly around FH, in  particular the main airport. The best quick fix seems to be dropping the LOD to low numbers - at least for me.  Looking forward to the fix soon. 

-d

I have already asked for assistance on the the low FPS and long load in times on an earlier post.  I was an early adopter of the Steam version of KFHR, and had thought my issues had been kicked into the long grass somewhat.  The issues are still there, and as awful as it sounds I am pleased to hear that others are now experiencing them with the "box" version as well.  It was always my suspicion that there is something amiss somewhere in the code for this otherwise excellent scenery.  

For what it's worth, I will add my weight to the evidence that there is an area around the island that is all but unusable, yet the rest of my ORBX world behaves impeccably (NCA, PFJ, NRM, ENG, WAL, SCO).  In fact my one and only OOM error was whilst overflying KFHR on the way out of Vancouver Island. 

For what it's worth I made a couple of test flights from KORS to KFHR and then flew all around KFHR and back to KORS and back to KFHR.

I tested it with A2A's Comanche first, rebooted then the Q400 Pro.  I had some slight stutters but my frames never went below 30 and no OOM chimes.  

I will continue to test though as I have no idea how to monitor VAS.

Specs:

Jetline Hellfire GT2 PC
FSX Gold
Win 7 Pro 64
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Pro, Intel LGA 1150 mobo
i7 4790 Quad Core 4.66 GHz
Corsair Hydro H80i Liquid Cooling
8 GB Trident X DDR3 SDRAM 2133 MHz
500 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
4 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 - Driver GeForce 344.65 WHQL

50 minutes ago, sunjunkiesi said:

I have already asked for assistance on the the low FPS and long load in times on an earlier post.  I was an early adopter of the Steam version of KFHR, and had thought my issues had been kicked into the long grass somewhat.  The issues are still there, and as awful as it sounds I am pleased to hear that others are now experiencing them with the "box" version as well.  It was always my suspicion that there is something amiss somewhere in the code for this otherwise excellent scenery.  

For what it's worth, I will add my weight to the evidence that there is an area around the island that is all but unusable, yet the rest of my ORBX world behaves impeccably (NCA, PFJ, NRM, ENG, WAL, SCO).  In fact my one and only OOM error was whilst overflying KFHR on the way out of Vancouver Island. 

After many tests with help from some users, we've determined (thanks to the process of elimination) that the airport its self isn't the issue. Unfortunately, we've had reports that the area in general is a bit of a hog. The size of the PR doesn't help the situation (aerial photography coverage is the biggest memory eater). Because of this, we're currently testing another method of doing the PR which should free up some memory.

Stay tuned. :)

Thanks,

Russ

1 hour ago, FriLa said:

What about textures during night and dawn? It seems that they are loaded twice and do not switch correctly.

Fritz

Hi FriLa,

I'm not sure what you mean by "loading twice". Can you give me a screenshot so I can look in to it?

Thanks,

Russ

Here are two shots which show what I mean. When you come close to a tile (?) the one with ground illumination changes to a tile without ground illumination. The light in the houses remains. So there must be two tiles in memory?

tile with ground illuminated:

Tile_illuminated.thumb.jpg.bccc0dab5442b

Tile dark

Tile_dark.thumb.jpg.7e92ad1d6e9b11d7a0c3

I've turned my graphic settings way down, turned off the AP trees and shrubs at KFHR, and am running KFHR at 1024. I'm not seeing OOM's but I'm running into more and more long pauses around the area that change the elevation data at KFHR upon returning after departing from there. I have every FTX paymare AP in NA, have flown from one to the other without issue in the past but can't seem to do so anymore wihere KFHR is concerned.

Here's the most recent return flight:

Moment before touchdown

2015-12-21_9-53-44-328.jpg

Into the runway

2015-12-21_9-54-7-912.jpg

2015-12-21_9-54-17-829.jpg

19 hours ago, Russell Linn said:

After many tests with help from some users, we've determined (thanks to the process of elimination) that the airport its self isn't the issue. Unfortunately, we've had reports that the area in general is a bit of a hog. The size of the PR doesn't help the situation (aerial photography coverage is the biggest memory eater). Because of this, we're currently testing another method of doing the PR which should free up some memory.

Stay tuned. :)

Thanks,

Russ

I don't routinely monitor frame rates providing FSX is running smoothly and KFHR generally tends to run smoothly on my mid-range system. I do however initially monitor the VAS usage on new scenery addons and, even with all the parameters toned down and using just the default Baron, the VAS usage runs pretty high, starting at about 3.1GB and gradually rising to about 3.8GB with a circuit of the islands. I haven't yet tried some of the more demanding payware aircraft here, but I suspect they would lead to an early OOM. As others have said, however, this is beautifully produced scenery and I suspect the problems reflect FSX showing its age and limitations and perhaps they are not so prevalent in P3D. Anything that Orbx can do reduce the memory usage would however be very welcome, as this is the first Orbx scenery to cause me significant memory issues and, being retired, I am trying to avoid the expense of moving to P3D (or if I do, I will have to introduce it under the wife's radar!).

Bill

2 hours ago, scianoir said:

I don't routinely monitor frame rates providing FSX is running smoothly and KFHR generally tends to run smoothly on my mid-range system. I do however initially monitor the VAS usage on new scenery addons and, even with all the parameters toned down and using just the default Baron, the VAS usage runs pretty high, starting at about 3.1GB and gradually rising to about 3.8GB with a circuit of the islands. I haven't yet tried some of the more demanding payware aircraft here, but I suspect they would lead to an early OOM. As others have said, however, this is beautifully produced scenery and I suspect the problems reflect FSX showing its age and limitations and perhaps they are not so prevalent in P3D. Anything that Orbx can do reduce the memory usage would however be very welcome, as this is the first Orbx scenery to cause me significant memory issues and, being retired, I am trying to avoid the expense of moving to P3D (or if I do, I will have to introduce it under the wife's radar!).

Bill

My VAS usage (FSX) rarely goes above 2.4 around KFHR, but I'm aware that I don't use as many add ons as most people. There are also other airports in the area to think about too, so everyone is going to have a different result. We're working at it though as we want as many people as possible to enjoy this airport. A lot of work has gone in to it so it would be a shame for anyone to miss out. :)

Thanks,

Russ

Hi Folks- I have many of the same problems folks have indicated.....   I remember when FSX first came out I'd have some sort of problem flying over or very close to KFHR.......  Smoothness seemed to be a problem at one point.....    This was a long time a go so - does anyone else remember similar problems with KFHR when FSX first came out?

Howard

I dunno.  Try as I might I can't induce any OOM's or even stutters in KFHR.  I have FSX Gold, Win 7 and have been flying the Comanche and the Q400 to and from KORS to KFRH and can't induce the problem.  I wonder what might be different?

I will keep trying to get it to OOM as I would like very much to help any way I can since so many have helped me here.

Merry Christmas.

Jack from 25GA

Presently I'm in A2A's Comanche and have a solid 30fps which is locked.  ASN on and the weather is mimiserable, rainy and fog.

I've been flying all around the island and now fixin' to head back to KORS and back to KFHR.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2015 at 10:54 AM, Russell Linn said:

After many tests with help from some users, we've determined (thanks to the process of elimination) that the airport its self isn't the issue. Unfortunately, we've had reports that the area in general is a bit of a hog.

This would not surprise me at all, to learn that this is part of the root cause.  It was a 'featured area' in FSX, remember, just like Seattle.  There have to be 'default objects' in there that are sucking up memory or VAS or resources in general.  I wonder if it is those default WA state ferries.....

Jetline Hellfire GT2 PC
Win 7 Pro 64
CM Storm Scout II Advanced case
ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Pro, Intel LGA 1150 mobo
i7 4790 Quad Core 4.66 GHz
Corsair Hydro H80i Liquid Cooling
8 GB Trident X DDR3 SDRAM 2133 MHz

4 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 - Driver GeForce 344.65 WHQL
NV Inspector version - 1.9.6.5

Saitek yoke, throttle, pedals, Saitek  TPM.

Buttkicker 2

No FSDT airports in the area.

UT 2 traffic set to medium or therabouts.

Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX 
Integrated High Speed Network 10/100/1000
802.11n WiFi card
750 Watt Corsair RM Power Supply
20x DVD/CD Burner
Creative A250 3-Piece Speaker System

Thank you sir!

Well, this was four trips from KORS to KFHR in the Comanche with ASN on and nothing, no stutters, solid 30 fps.

Next (after I do a couple of real-world things) I'm going to try the Q400 and do the same.

THEN, the next test will be a trip in the Q400 from Seattle to KFHR.

I feel for you guys who are having problems and I wonder why I'm not.  All I can think is I do not have Vector?  And that's just grasping for straws as I have no idea what Vector does or if it would even cause it.

Be back soon…

Jack

1 minute ago, antonvs said:

Jack, I reckon two items in your spec account for your success:

1. CPU running at 4.66 GHz (mine is only 3.2GHz)

2. 4 GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 (I've got a 780 but only 2GHz)

Cheers Anton. (iPad using Tapatalk)

Could be Anton, I'm just a user, and not like most of you guys who know MUCH more than I do, that's why I try to duplicate problems, it's the least I can do as I don't have a body of knowledge some of you guys have and I'm astonished by how much you guys know!

Just now, Kodiak73 said:

Like Antonvs said, you've got a pretty high end system there.

Maybe that's it?

Dunno, but I do know this I LOVE ORBX!!!!!!

I have a LOT of their stuff and can't find time to fly to all the airports.  AND, I'm REALLY looking forward to buying SCA!

More testing today, If I can't get an OOM in the Q400 FROM Seattle to KFHR then I dunno…

6 minutes ago, JS07 said:

Maybe that's it?

Dunno, but I do know this I LOVE ORBX!!!!!!

I have a LOT of their stuff and can't find time to fly to all the airports.  AND, I'm REALLY looking forward to buying SCA!

More testing today, If I can't get an OOM in the Q400 FROM Seattle to KFHR then I dunno…

JS07, out of curiosity, do you have all the FTX addon AP's available for PNW installed? Notably, 74S and KBVS are very close. I myself haven't had an OOM, but something else is screwing with my install of KFHR.

2 minutes ago, FLighT said:

JS07, out of curiosity, do you have all the FTX addon AP's available for PNW installed? Notably, 74S and KBVS are very close. I myself haven't had an OOM, but something else is screwing with my install of KFHR.

Hi Flight, I dunno, I have a list of all my ORBX stuff in my signature.  I don't think I have those installed or bought, yet.  Nope, just checked my list of ORBX not bought yet, don't have 'em.

Going out for wife for some errands, be back soon…

Happy Christmas!

Jack

Well, bad news.

I made a Q400 flight from KSEA to KFHR.

The flight was with ASN on in lousy weather.

I was about three miles from landing when BAM, CTD.  No OOM chimes, nothing.

So it affects my system too.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Beautiful area KFHR is but wow, CTD.

Have not tried it with the Comanche and don't think I will.

Hopefully there will be a fix for this as I have no problems with any other of my ORBX stuff.

I don't know how to monitor VAS so I can't comment on that.

Have a very Happy Christmas and nice holidays ya'll!

Jack

I also just had my first OOM error, in P3D v3.  PC specs are in my signature.  I use extremely high graphics settings in P3D, and for some reason, loading this flight hung at the main P3D screen.  It finally loaded in, and I was in the F-35 (I don't know why I picked that aircraft), and I tried to go into the display menu, and it CTD'd with the OOM error.

That being said, I have flown a few flights out of there with full blown weather, and complex aircraft; and besides the low FPS, it never CTD'd.  I'm apt to think there's a memory hog somewhere in that region of the PNW.

I also just had my first OOM error, in P3D v3.  PC specs are in my signature.  I use extremely high graphics settings in P3D, and for some reason, loading this flight hung at the main P3D screen.  It finally loaded in, and I was in the F-35 (I don't know why I picked that aircraft), and I tried to go into the display menu, and it CTD'd with the OOM error.

That being said, I have flown a few flights out of there with full blown weather, and complex aircraft; and besides the low FPS, it never CTD'd.  I'm apt to think there's a memory hog somewhere in that region of the PNW.

It seems your right Chunk, but I have had every other airport in the area installed for some time including Victoria freeware and flown extensively but never had a single issue. But had CTD, poor frames, staggering along with VAS pool dropping to low rates progressively leading to the CTD.

Cheers Anton. (iPad using Tapatalk)

I thought I should mention something I just noticed, I've been contending that my issue is not with OOM's but the long pauses around KFHR resulting in runway elevation problems upon return (from a full or partial reload of the scenery library). On several occasions after experiencing this runway anomaly upon returning I noticed that FSUIPC had saved my flight as a Previous Flight. The picture it would show for this Previous Flight would always be of me still sitting in the CP at runway 34 prior to powering up, not at the point in the flight where the pause occurs. It didn't dawn on me until now that the 1 to 2 second pauses I was experiencing around 74S on my return back over 74S from KBVS may have very well been my rig on the razors edge of an OOM CTD (and maybe a reload of some of the scenery library like at KEKA but without elevation issues at KFHR) . Had it actually CTD'd or locked up it would have been better than allowing me to complete the flight as maybe I would have understood what I now think was going on earlier. I also wish there were a VAS readout that could sit on top of the full screen view, that would be a world of help).

I just completed another flight after a fresh reboot of the PC and FSX. I set it up from scratch, reused the same flight plan I've been using all along for these tests, turned off all cars and boats, used a fixed weather with no winds, only a few clouds so I never activated ASN. I did use TrackIR and my usual cfg settings with the exception of reducing LOD to 5.5.

On my second pass over 74S on the way back to KFHR (the spot where my pauses happen) this suddenly happened, never in almost 18 years of FSX simming has this happened to me.

2015-12-23_7-23-9-677.jpg

It's the info in the upper left corner being severely distorted for some reason, but my plane kept flying along as normal.

This final shot is after I pulled off the runway, note the FPS low of 0.4. The runway elevation remained stable but just before touchdown the info in the upper left corner stated flashing the same distorted info again as a few minutes earlier, The V key wouldn't work and a window opened stating the screenshot could not be taken for several reasons. VAS at that point was 311,000. The VAS after pulling off the runway when this second shot was taken was 266,000 and stutter were in full force and effect. (I'm surprised the whole rig didn't go up in smoke).

2015-12-23_7-36-5-550.jpg

I'm now thinking this is a VAS useage issue in my case, even though FSUIPC didn't create a Previous Flight this time. A matter of too many high detail AP's too close together, competing for too few resources. PNW and the Seattle area, which is, as previously mentioned, a load and a half anyway, is the only one of all the Regions, (and I have all available for the world) in which I've run into this. None of the other Regions has the concentration of high detail AP's close together like PNW and I think that's why I don't run into this elsewhere. The number of high detail AP's in this area is maxed out for my hardware and settings. It might not have made any difference whether the next high detail addon AP was KFHR or some other nearby one, it's game over for my rigs capabilities. LOL!

Just have to wait and see what happens while the Devs revisit it.  Just installed SCA yesterday and one quick test flight around Bakersfield at my usual cfg settings, looks great, runs great, but now I've got several days of Christmas and New Years commitments to fulfill. Third of Jan is not too far off.

Have good Holidays all.

16 hours ago, Ripcord said:

You may or may not have a valid theory there with Vector.  Some have claimed that disabling some aspects does improve their performance flying in FTX areas (though it shouldn't).

I have the same feeling. Ever since installing it my performance has changed and I get allot of pauses wile flying. Never had them before vector and this is happing in Full fat regions. Josh

Archived