Friday Harbor - Out of Memory errors in FSX

dvj

If it helps matters, I've had zero issues or OOMs so far with very smooth frame rates with Orbx AI and boats set to 16% and autogen at second highest level, using a variety of add-on aircraft by Carenado.

And I've been flying between the Anacortes, Orcas and Friday Harbor add ons like crazy.   FPS in the high 30s.

If I can help by answering questions I'd be glad to do so.

FSX - SE

specs below...

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very stable with me as well.  I have all NA airports installed in P3D v3.1 along with the AVSIM AI boat traffic, Larry's boat AI traffic and RTMM AI boat traffic as well.  I dialed back my Autogen to Normal and my Scenery Complexity is at Dense.  Everything else at recommended settings minus the Texture Filtering and I am in the mid to upper 20s for FPS.  I am also using Rex 4 textures, all my Rex 4 settings are at medium except the runway and taxiways, which are at 4096.  For those that are having issues, it may help to reduce your scenery texture resolution down to 2048 or 1024.  Keeping my texture resolution to 2048 in SCA, I haven't had any issues in that area either. 

I would suggest having different configs for different regions.  Seattle area is always rough on frames/OOMs, especially in FSX at least for me it was.  I would rather dial my settings back and enjoy some sim time rather than wasting my time, knowing that pushing the sim will result in OOM.  Thanks

I've been following a thread over at AVSIM, discussing potential VAS savings by using the AffinityMask entry in the P3D.cfg.  I tried it just for poops and giggles, and low and behold...I completed my previously OOM-guaranteed nightmare flight of Friday Harbor to Firstair.  Using the VAS monitor, the tweak "saved" me approximately 200MB of VAS headspace.  Enough to allow me to complete the trip, properly shut down the Comanche, and have a couple fingers of Scotch!

Check it out...

For people with A2A aircraft experiencing OOM with Friday Harbor, try turning off AccuSim. With A2A Piper J3 and AccuSim, I could not approach from any direction to within 60 miles of KFHR without being bounced to desktop, and also had similar probs when departing the area. I switched to RA Citabria without AccuSim, and all worked well. When I then switched off AccuSim, the Piper J3 also worked flawlessly, although without AccuSim features. So far, so good. Wonderful scenery!

JW Johnson

FSS0435936

I don't think it's KFJR that's at fault, but a combination of things, DVJ.  I think Friday Harbor was just the straw that broke the PNW's OOM back.  As such, I don't know if they can "fix" it competely

The fact that I have had to resort to LOD 4.0 and low resolution textures, and zero traffic settings to do any flying around this area to me is unacceptable.  I don't have this problem with any other ORBX products.   No more purchases from me until this is resolved.  As stated before, I've disabled this scenery. 

the oom thread's a little long so just wanted to describe how i'm now getting oom flying into kfhr.  never experienced oom on fsx before.   

oom seems to happen when i start somewhere (khqm in my case), fly north east through the seattle area, head north around bellingham, then west/southwest over kors, then into kfhr.

going over kors seems to gobble up memory space and it doesn't seem to free enough of it up to allow kfhr to run without hitting the memory limit.  also, coming  in over roche harbor field to kfhr seems to affect the amount of free memory at kfhr.  

if i just do a straight cle elum kfhr via cvv works just fine every time.

so when testing the patch, i hope kfhr is being tested with near by orbx airports like kors and 74s in place with those scenery being loaded on its way to kfhr.  

2048 texture

autogen dense

no ai airplanes

7% cars

10% boats

lod radius 5.5

or maybe i need to add

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000

if kfhr photoreal is just too much.

Russ,

Is there any way you can give us a heads up to what this patch is going to try and fix, and since you said that most of the fat had been trimmed from KFHR, will ORBX look at a patch for PNW to address the issues in this area?

Microsoft "Fix it" for OOM's
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947246

You may receive an "Out of Memory" error message because of the desktop heap limitation

Cause
This problem occurs because of the desktop heap limitation. If you close some windows, and then you try to open other windows, these windows may open. However, this method does not affect the desktop heap limitation.

Resolution
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section.

Fix it for me  "link at bottom of this posting"

To fix this problem automatically in Vista and Windows 7, click the Fix it button or link. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.  Fix it download file name.   MicrosoftFixit50496.msi  which is accessed by the "Download" button on the website and at the bottom of this post.

I tried this and it seems like it works to some degree.  I noticed a drop on VAS of around 1 to 2 GB and as can be seen in the image attached it let me keep flying.  It is no super fix but it did let me keep flying about four times as long as any time before.  Maybe this plus other fixes mentioned above might just get us bye for now.  Norm

OOM 172.jpg

MicrosoftFixit50496.msi

I have problems with KORS in both P3D 3.1, and 2.5. Either sim will crash, aproaching KORS. OrbX KORS isn't installed in 3.1, so I think; it's an FSX thing. If I try to start a flight at KORS either sim starts to load, and stops responding at 77%.  I have low FPS at KFHR, (12 to 17) but it doesn't crash the sims with settings dialed back a bit.  Hope this helps.

Sue

On 23/01/2016 at 9:03 PM, Chunk said:

Russ,

Is there any way you can give us a heads up to what this patch is going to try and fix, and since you said that most of the fat had been trimmed from KFHR, will ORBX look at a patch for PNW to address the issues in this area?

Hi Chunk,

The patch for KFHR focuses on fixing all bugs reported by users.

In regards to memory issues, after a lot of testing, it's not possible for us to provide a magical fix in this patch that will resolve the issue. This is because the issue is not with the KFHR scenery, it is a legacy issue in FSX or (possibly, but not likely) PNW. This is something me and Greg are investigating in our own time.

What can we do in this patch to help people with memory issues in the KFHR area?

We've added and changed some features in the control panel to help the user reduce memory load. Using Low Resolution mode will now save more memory than it did before, as it now also affects the Ground Poly. Disabling any other features that you do not use will also help.

We have also made a pass of all textures in the KFHR scenery and reduced their size (trimming the fat) where appropriate. This means POIs may be a bit lower resolution, but it's not very noticable. This will reduce memory usage a little.

The patch has been completed by me and Greg and we've passed it over to the testers to be thoroughly checked. We're looking at their feedback now and I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Russ

John Venema

• Orbx CEO
  •  
  • John Venema
  • Administrators
  • team_admin.png
  • 22,085 posts
  • Order #:Staff

Please add your order numbers to your forum signature before requesting support

To allow Orbx to better serve its customers who have paid for a legal copy of FTX products, we require that you add all your order numbers for the products purchased from our resellers to your forum profile signature section (see diagram below).

On 29/01/2016 at 7:33 PM, BoHill said:

During this patch fix testing period, please check on the lack of snowy runways at KFHR during winter.

It seems there are some missing or corrupt textures?

Thanks much and regards

Hi BoHill,

This is as designed, nothing is corrupt or missing. Snow is usually cleared off of runways and taxiways. :)

Thanks,

Russ

• 4 months later...

Hiya,

Any update on this? Just bought Orca's and Friday habor.

Startup at Orca, steady memory usages and normal values

Startup at Friday Harbor, memory usages start normal yet start to increase (which points to memory leak in my humble option.

Thx,

Marcel

• 3 months later...

My settings as of this morning:
All Friday Harbor Control Panel settings are set to Disabled.
I do get stuttering periodically, but not enough to be concerned.
The first pic was taken after landing.
The first and last line in the fsx.cfg pic is noteworthy.
The plane is the Carenado Bonanza A36.

Hope this helps someone.

BTW I had constant OOMS errors before these settings were made.

Here are my system specs:
Dell XPS 8300
Intel Core i7 2600 (3.4/4.0 GHz processor)
8 GB Ram
1 TB hard disk
EVGA  GeForce 750 Ti (2 GB memory)
HT is enabled

Win 7 64 bit (exclusive for FSX)

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG