I'm liking this new forum layout

Patrick Cox

4 hours ago, Aussieman said:

Probably because I spend a lot of time surfing the OZx forums as a beta tester for their scenery I am finding this new forum layout very easy to navigate. Great work Jay and team.

I envy you Pat.

I love the new layout - just dazzled by all the new buttons ...

How about writing "The Complete Guide to Navigating the New Forums" for us geriatrics?

I'm one of those stubborn old mules who prefers to RTFM .....

Cheers mate

Alan

Brissy

Overall, the new forum looks much better. Well done:D

I do, however, have two suggestions:

1. Finding unread articles is more difficult because the high lit blue blobs are lost in the surrounding Answered, etc boxes and large question marks in circles. Could some of the 'badges' be toned down so that the Unread blob appears as more prominent?
  2. The texts describing the forums are unnecessarily long and causing the titles to span too many pages. A revisit of their titles could perhaps obviate the need for the etxts entirely?

Many thanks for the work.

All these 'Questions' that aren't questions at all! They're comments, opinions, statements. Questions are in the minority. What happened to Threads? Have they been taken over by Streams? Not to mention Activity. I won't be too surprised to find a 140 character limit on 'Questions.

Sorry, I don't like it. It's not a forum it's Twitter V2

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

All these 'Questions' that aren't questions at all! They're comments, opinions, statements. Questions are in the minority. What happened to Threads? Have they been taken over by Streams? Not to mention Activity. I won't be too surprised to find a 140 character limit on 'Questions.

Sorry, I don't like it. It's not a forum it's Twitter V2

I don't get it either but it is what it is.....

I had it configured, more or less, like the old forum with a stream which allows me to see only new threads of the forums that I'm interested in, that's the good part.

But I do not like the modernish look as I find it tiring to read : much more white, airy background on the screen and greyish and thin fonts which lack contrast.   Maybe the fact that a lot of readers of this forum are (rapidly) aging babyboomers could be taken into account ? A way to customize the colors and background would therefore be welcome.On the plus side, it may save OrbX some bandwidth as people will come less often for a shorter time:rolleyes: .

It does not work well with IE10 and I had to go to Chrome which is an another annoyance (yes, I do not like Chrome and won't go Firefow either).

Last, it does not do the diacric signs that most of the languages outside English have (but I suppose that is teething pain).

23 hours ago, Aussieman said:

Alan, unfortunately I am one of those geriatrics :(. Just turned 69 and need to use a walker to get around.

Just spend a little time casually scouting around - you will be amazed to find that everything had is still there just in a different form.

2 hours ago, dominique said:

I had it configured, more or less, like the old forum with a stream which allows me to see only new threads of the forums that I'm interested in, that's the good part.

You can still do that - just take some time to investigate options.

I like what I see.

3 hours ago, dominique said:

But I do not like the modernish look as I find it tiring to read : much more white, airy background on the screen and greyish and thin fonts which lack contrast.   Maybe the fact that a lot of readers of this forum are (rapidly) aging babyboomers could be taken into account ? A way to customize the colors and background would therefore be welcome.On the plus side, it may save OrbX some bandwidth as people will come less often for a shorter time:rolleyes: .

It does not work well with IE10 and I had to go to Chrome which is an another annoyance (yes, I do not like Chrome and won't go Firefow either).

Last, it does not do the diacric signs that most of the languages outside English have (but I suppose that is teething pain).

Pretty sure you said the same thing about IPB3 ;):DeadHorse::inquisition:

2 minutes ago, Aussieman said:

Chumley, Have a look at who the topic starter is. This forum layout is very similar to the OZx forum so I was able to settle into this one quite easy.

I knew it was you - quoted the wrong post  in error.:)

Thanks Pat for not moaning hahaha :P Seriously it took me a while to get used to as well but I would never want to go back to 3 now too many neat features and I have given members some extra bits, some they won't ever realise :) 

3 hours ago, Jay Kae said:

Pretty sure you said the same thing about IPB3 ;):DeadHorse::inquisition:

Since I've been here, it has always been the same forum format until two days ago, so how could I have said that ?  Never knew the 2 version, if any. But as I see you're pretty satisfied with yourself, nothing more to say :).

4 hours ago, chumley said:

Just spend a little time casually scouting around - you will be amazed to find that everything had is still there just in a different form.

You can still do that - just take some time to investigate options.

I like what I see.

This is what I said in my post Chum' ;) !

It took a couple of days, but I now very much like this new IPS4 forum system, especially today (Friday, 11/13) after Jay's latest tweaks. I especially enjoy going to "All Activity" (Activity->"All Activity", at the top), as that gives me a very quick view of all the latest posts (including the first several lines of each post, when in expanded form), without having to go to the individual topics.  Any post that is particularly interesting to me, then I open up the topic.  

I find my ORBX forum browsing "productivity" to be significantly improved. :)

Kudos to Jay Kae for making this happen.

Archived