Time to move on..............

Triplane

.......but I wanted to take a moment to say goodbye to all of you here who have been so helpful over the past couple of years. All good things have to come to an end and my time with ORBX is at that point.

Over the last 11 days I've been through two OS reinstalls and eight FSX reinstalls in an effort to get all my ORBX files loaded (never tried that before). But, after sand in the oceans, floating buildings, missing aircraft textures, region switching errors, FTX configurator errors, lakes on the sides of mountains, missing autogen, missing scenery, floating runways, runways in canyons, missing runways, buildings with only two walls, buildings with no roofs, trees growing in the runway, houses in the middle of the rivers, etc, etc, etc.......enough is enough. Whatever the problem is with region switching, vector files, landclass files, and terrain files it needs a little more work.

Anyway, end of rant. My best to all and thanks for the memories.....

Doug

Hi Doug. I know how you feel a as I have had a few problems with FSX over the last few days with it starting up and ok for a few seconds and then a box coming up saying FSX has stopped working and shuts down. So over the past few months I have seriously thought about packing it in, but over the years I have spent quite a few pounds in money on this hobby what with add ons and hard ware, even thought of changing to the other Flt Sim X plane is it. It's about time we had a decent Flight Sim but all people seem to want now are war games. I don't know but I get so fed up with it now and then, but will probably stick with it for now. Cheer's Derek.

Meant say good luck with what ever you choose to do. Derek.

.......but I wanted to take a moment to say goodbye to all of you here who have been so helpful over the past couple of years. All good things have to come to an end and my time with ORBX is at that point.

Over the last 11 days I've been through two OS reinstalls and eight FSX reinstalls in an effort to get all my ORBX files loaded (never tried that before). But, after sand in the oceans, floating buildings, missing aircraft textures, region switching errors, FTX configurator errors, lakes on the sides of mountains, missing autogen, missing scenery, floating runways, runways in canyons, missing runways, buildings with only two walls, buildings with no roofs, trees growing in the runway, houses in the middle of the rivers, etc, etc, etc.......enough is enough. Whatever the problem is with region switching, vector files, landclass files, and terrain files it needs a little more work.

Anyway, end of rant. My best to all and thanks for the memories.....

Doug

Hi Doug,

I know how you feel, I have had to uninstall, and reinstall FSX SE with over 140 Orbx addons, twice over the past couple of weeks, due to an error a Triple Installer caused me, Its very frustrating to spend over a week on a complete installation, having said that in all the years of buying, and flying in Orbx land, I have never had any of the problems that you have experienced, and I have only a very modest rig, to say the least, and I'm sorry you have had to come to the descision, you have come to, because overall I feel the difference that Orbx has made to this aging sim of FSX is amazing, and you can always re think, and come back to us, in the future, I'm sure you will eventually!

Good luck mate,

I 'd check your HD health with HD Tune (free trial) or something similar.

Maybe if you want to try one more time, re-install Windows and FSX only, check everything is OK. Then add the addons do you need and will use, for example PNW and an aircraft, if it works spend some time there, flying only. Forget about tweaks and other stuff.

Your frustrations are certainly noted however the products are spot on.  They don't sell these products with the issues you describe.

I can say that I've never had those problems with any of my ORBX installs.  If I have had a glitch its always been a problem at my end with an easy fix.

You need to stay with it and work towards resolving your issues.  There's plenty of help available within these forums so I can't see why you can't get back up and running.

Jas

That's an amazing story but I doubt that ORBX is behind your problems.

Why would you have to reinstall the operating system twice? It sounds as if you have been digging an ever deeper hole.

I guess at some stage everything was running properly.

If you'd had something like Acronis imaging software and made regular images you could have restored your computer to the state it was in when it was running well in no time at all.

I've been using the same products as you do and if they needed that much improvement, I would have had a lot of trouble, which is not the case. Same files, same codes, for everyone. I suspect it is something else than Orbx products, to be honest. But I understand your frustration too, we want to fly, not to spend all our time correcting what is wrong in the computer. Sorry to read about what seems to be a really problematic situation in your case and hope it gets corrected before you throw everything away.

Many problems stem from Windows permissions issues.  For me, I have set all my UAC and FSX folders to maximum permissions, including file sharing etc.  I have every ORBX product installed from the installers with no modifications and all my regions and airports work perfectly, other than a few Vector issues, and occasionally a need to reinstall an airport when an update to a region causes changes that weren't forseen in the original airport release.

Patience is required though.  Reinstall Windows and FSX as required and confirm FSX works in default mode, with all your FSUIPC,  EZCA, TrackIR, display settings etc.  Then add ORBX add-ons just a couple at a time and go for a couple of flights to confirm all is working well.  As you add each scenery, you might find one of your problems surfacing.  If you get to that point, you find a way to fix it there and then, as you should only have one or two possible causes to investigate.

Good luck if you do return!!!

Patience is required though.  Reinstall Windows and FSX as required and confirm FSX works in default mode, with all your FSUIPC,  EZCA, TrackIR, display settings etc.  Then add ORBX add-ons just a couple at a time and go for a couple of flights to confirm all is working well.  As you add each scenery, you might find one of your problems surfacing.  If you get to that point, you find a way to fix it there and then, as you should only have one or two possible causes to investigate.

I was about to post something similar. I reinstall my OS and so also P3D (and FSX in the past) at least 2 times a year (usually more often, really ;) ) and I never have any problems. But I do install everything in a certain order and, imho quite important, I run the sim after every the install of any add-on. So I first install P3D, run it, then Track-IR, test it, and when it's time for the FTX add ons I begin with the largest one (Global), install it, run the sim, install the next one (in my case regions), run the sim, install airports (if I want to), run the sim, etc. I think it's important to actually run the sim after the install of an add-on to make sure it 'registers' with the sim. In all my years of simming with Orbx I never had a real problem. Since you DO have a problem I think you should indeed not only run the sim in between installs but actually TEST if everything is still working, as John suggests.

This hobby is too great to pass on just because of installation problems... how annoying they may be... Hope to see you back real soon! (Although after an experience like you had it might be a good idea to forget about simming for a month or so: by that time you probably will be very anxious to get back to flying again, which will really help during the new reinstall sequence!)

Since first starting with Orbx back in April 2012 I've had two computers, re-installed boxed FSX at least twice, tried FSX:SE, gone to P3D, gone back to FSX:SE and now back to P3D. Never once have I had a single error message or a single problem along any of the lines mentioned. And I now have an SSD on order which means yet another total re-install over this coming weekend.

Whatever the problem might be it's certainly not Orbx.

I agree with everyone else's comments. In addition I would add that the problems you have seen can be experienced when files from other (similar and conflicling) add-ons reside on your pc. In this case it may well be necessary to do a new build and if you do this it is very important to follow the advice of others and test regularly after installing add-ons. This is the only way to know if a particular add-on causes a problem.

As a FTX user since 2008 I can also attest that any problems like those you have experienced have always been at my end. And there has always been support from the forum. So please don't give up, the fsim world is lacking big time without FTX.

The solution seems so simple, P3Dv2.5.  I have 38 ORBX products installed and not one problem with scenery, ZERO!  All of my settings are set on the high side and it runs smooth.  Like so many knowledgeable members have posted, don't tinker too much with the cfg files, it's asking for trouble.

My computer specs are at the bottom of my signature.

TD

I installed FSX on this computer 7 years ago and never had a problem yet and it is a i5 760.......Hoping to afford to buy a new one this Christmas.....Only use ORBX and a few plane add on's. However, Creekdog and I still fly stock planes a lot. Its all better that 1985 graphics.....

I do hope that all this discussion had given you hope and that you will give it one more try.  Here is a  road map that I think you will have have some success with.  First buy the biggest HDD you can afford or a 10,000 RPM HD.  Make sure you copy of windows has no errors and install.  The very first thing is to turn off the user account control, and reboot.  update all windows updates.  reboot and repeat up dates, reboot and repeat updates.  After the third time you should be up to date and at this point you should block further updates. SET A RESTORE POINT. My suggestion now would be to purchase P3Dv2.5.  Load the default flight completely and reboot. SET A RESTORE POINT. Add one of your favorite aircraft that is P3Dv2.5 compatible and go fly.  Fly several flights. If all is well, add a restore point. Add one ORBX region. Don't for get the load the latest lib file after the region and reboot.  Now, go fly your default or added airplane in your Orbx  Region.  If all is well set a restore point and make a backup.  Now then. from here on out, add only one thing at a time, set a restore point and make backups.  Now when something goes south, you will never have to huge amounts of work over and over again and you will know exactly what you did.  Trust me, this will work and it can work for you....this is 30 years as a computer engineer talking....and sometimes I don't take my own advice and I pay the price.  This is especially important if you are trying to install an aircraft not intended for the P3Dv2 or making changed to scenery.  Please give it a try,  And good luck my friend,

Henry

As was stated above, this hobby is too amazing to give up. I could only dream of these types of graphics 7-10 years ago. The scenery, airports, planes, weather, sounds, feel.....the list goes on and on. Just pure joy............... Hang in there friend..... 8)

Don't kill the messenger, Doug. That will get you nowhere. You don't see other folks re-loading their OS to try and get their FS to work, do you? No.That's ridiculous. But if you did go that far, you need to do a clean install of everything else. I mean wipe out all files related to FSX on your computer and start over. The problem is on your end my friend. Have you ever tried a re-start in Safe mode with all add-ons disabled, and the basics enabled? Sounds to me like you need to do 'trouble shooting 101' before you start pointing fingers.

As mentioned previously, it sounds suspiciously like a failing hard drive but I feel your pain. My GPU died yesterday but I had ordered another because the fans had been making ominous noises over the last month or so. I was happy to find a brand new Asus Strix 980 TI at the Post office this morning, unfortunately it's too big to fit in my computer case!😟 I have 2 HD's on my system, one for storage and a 500 Gb SSD which has the OS and among other things P3Dv2.4 which alone weighs in at near 170 Gb, most of that being Orbx scenery and available HD space is becoming an issue. I have been putting off installing P3Dv2.5 for this reason but being that I now have to pick up a new case tomorrow and transfer the guts of the PC over, I think it might be the right time to add another SSD just for P3D. I have a link kindly supplied by a member of this forum for painlessly transferring scenery and add-ons to v2.5. Unfortunately it's on my dead computer so I'll have to do a search. So....I'm about to go down the long road of reinstalling all of this stuff. I hope I don't have to put in every activation code for everything otherwise I might need to book my spot in the retirement village so that I get to finish the job. 😵

Archived