just picked up the LG 34 inch 21x9 curved monitor

Ken Hall

I've been looking at that same model.

Does the sim scale to the monitor, such as that you actually have a wider FOV (like having two more monitors to the left and right sides of the primary monitor)?

It allows you to set it to 3440x1440, everything looks in proportion so I'd say yes, with the curve and the extra width it is very immersive plus you get unbeleveably crisp colourful screenies.

Just buy it, you won't be sorry

It allows you to set it to 3440x1440, everything looks in proportion so I'd say yes, with the curve and the extra width it is very immersive plus you get unbeleveably crisp colourful screenies.

Just buy it, you won't be sorry

Great to hear, congrats on your purchase Ken...I bought it & I am still going "oh wow" when I fly Orbx with it many months later!

Hard to convey to the others about the curve emersion factor, but all I know is your Pago Pago looks AMAZING on "the curve" it really draws me into the depth & detail of the scenery :)

Impressive.  Congrats on your purchase ! 

Does it work at 60 Hz on the DP ? I've read that some of these new beasts only work at 30 Hz at max .res. (3440*1440). A shot from the VC looking straight ahead at zoom .9 or 1 would also be interesting to see what the FoV is.

I just bought this one a week ago, and agree with the OP. make Flying in the orbx world beautiful :)  The sim scales perfectly

Does it work at 60 Hz on the DP ? I've read that some of these new beasts only work at 30 Hz at max .res. (3440*1440). A shot from the VC looking straight ahead at zoom .9 or 1 would also be interesting to see what the FoV is.

Yes it does. I have mine on DP 1.2 at 3440 x1440 @ 60hz.   That's why I chose the LG 34UC97-s over the Samsung, and the Dell offerings.

Mine works at 50 Hz which synchronises with the Aussie power supply which is 50 Hz, more than likely hit would be 60 Hz in countries thar have the power feed at 60hz, it runs flicker free ans smooth as silk, cockpit views are a dream, this monitor changes flight simming experience.

Mine works at 50 Hz which synchronises with the Aussie power supply which is 50 Hz, more than likely hit would be 60 Hz in countries thar have the power feed at 60hz, it runs flicker free ans smooth as silk, cockpit views are a dream, this monitor changes flight simming experience.

Now that's interesting... never knew that your power was limited to 50Hz in Australia... is this because your AC is 230V instead of 110V?.

Hi Ken, gratz to you new toy. I have 29" not curved ultra wide LG for while and it is amazing. That 34" curved is little bit pricy for me, but 21:9 ratio is amazing.

times three... 10320 x 1440 OMG!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bteq-6D1srs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RWgQmpzdqpc

oh...and check out the smokin PC in this review...oh yeeeesssss! :)

Wow.. I must have it :) But... what kind of GPU you have to have? With P3D on my monitor (2560x1080) is compromise with GTX980 (I have high requirements of image quality)... WIth that beast resolution of 10320x1440 I need something like triple or maybe quad sli of GTX980 or better GTX980Ti.

I'm afraid my 27 will have to do, price is a little rich for my blood.

It is a bit prisey bruce but as someone said once wold you rather buy the scotch youed rather drink or the one youd rather pay for.

Ive always gone low to midrange with my monitors, this is the 1st time ever that I chose the top line stuff, never again will I buy the cheaper monitor, I'm seeing colours and details in all my programs I never new existed till now, on paper it is just numbers of pixels etc etc but when you see it up close ,theres no words to describe just how much impact this new screen has.

Sorry to rave so much about this but if just 1 person gets the courage to spend the money for the improvement then I know they will never regret it.

A long time after Ive forgotten how much I paid for this I'll be still smiling and  gratefull I took the plunge

cheers

Ken

I've been looking at that same model.

Does the sim scale to the monitor, such as that you actually have a wider FOV (like having two more monitors to the left and right sides of the primary monitor)?

When I went to 2560*1440  there was more real estate to be seen  left and right, up and down.So you should see more in a 3440 too, I guess if the sim supports this resolution. 

What I wonder is the penalty on the FPS with my 780ti... I will wait for the next generation of nvidia GPU, I think.

I'm picking up the non-curved 34inch ultrawide soon, its about half the price!

Some games (like FSX and P3D) allow you to add more real-estate with no stretching, other games and some DVD movies are locked to the 16/9 etc type and in that case the Nvidia tool can zoom, fill the screen. or leave in its native size (letterbox etc)

Sure more screen, more stuff showing, more taxing, but if it means you're only driving one screen over two or three..

Hi

Looks so good ,

Do Y think My system gona Run ok

With a LG 34 curved?

Corsair 800d

MB Asus A87

Intel Haswell 4770k clocked to 4,5ghz

16 GB inmemory cl 9 1600 Hz Latens 9 9 9 24X 2 =32gb

NVidia GTx 780 3 GB

SSD samsung 840 evo Fsx installed

Ssd 120 op Windows 7-64 installed

What system are Y running?

THx so much

Nils in Sweden

Hi

Looks fanstastic ,

Do Y think i can Run on a LG 34 curved with My system

Corsair 800d

MB Asus A87

NVidia GTx 780 3 GB

What system do Y Run

THx so match

Nils i Sweden

Hi

Looks so good ,

Do Y think My system gona Run ok

With a LG 34 curved?

Corsair 800d

MB Asus A87

NVidia GTx 780 3 GB

What system are Y running?

THx so much

Nils in Sweden

Hi

Looks fanstastic ,

Do Y think i can Run on a LG 34 curved with My system

Corsair 800d

MB Asus A87

NVidia GTx 780 3 GB

What system do Y Run

THx so match

Nils i Sweden

No problems at all, I have a lesser system and have all shadows on and still get 30+ frames

cheers

Ken

Got the monitor.  Thanks for giving me a push Ken.  One from Benton.  Next stop Samoa.

Obviously re-sized.

Nice one Jimmy...you eventually jumped in with both feet then :)

Is it living up to your expectations?

Superb shot...

Now that's interesting... never knew that your power was limited to 50Hz in Australia... is this because your AC is 230V instead of 110V?.

About half of the world uses 50 Hz mains, check the map from Wikipedia. :) It is not a limitation in anyway, and I believe the choice of frequency is just because of historical reasons, and to annoy travelers by making some equipment incompatible, whereas the choice in between 100/127 V and 220/240 V voltage has some technical importance in that the higher voltage enables better efficiency at a cost of reduction in inherent safety.

Syncing the screen refresh to mains frequency was important with early CRTs but nowadays it should mean nothing at all, and an LCD screen can be arbitrarily refreshed at any frequency of choice.

Nice one Jimmy...you eventually jumped in with both feet then :)

Is it living up to your expectations?

Superb shot...

Certainly is Capt.  I remember when you first mentioned you got this monitor; it's been on my radar ever since.  It just draws you in!  Here is a shot from Samoa.  I don't think Ken will mind if I post it here.

samoa.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have the LG 34UC97 curved monitor, resolution 3440 x 1440.

yeah, not sure if theres a whole lot of difference between those two lol

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041170404

the only difference between the 97 and the 87 is that the 87 has a complete black back and stand, the stand can go up and down and it has a vesa mount compatibility, which is puts it ahead of the 97

I went for the Samsung curved UQHD 34" 3440x1440 and you can see the comparison with my Dell UQHD 25" 2560x1440

newcokpit2jpg.jpg

The Samsung has a faster refresh but is not an IPS panel, but the super high quality sharpness is amazing on both screens.

The jpeg picture does not show the quality sharpness..  :(
Now you have a dilemma Tim.. :)

I went for the Samsung curved UQHD 34" 3440x1440 and you can see the comparison with my Dell UQHD 25" 2560x1440

The Samsung has a faster refresh but is not an IPS panel, but the super high quality sharpness is amazing on both screens.

The jpeg picture does not show the quality sharpness..  :(

Now you have a dilemma Tim.. :)

An excellent comparison shot  showing how much more lateral real estate you get  ! I appreciate the shot as I've a 2560*1440. Very telling.

No distortion to the left when you are in the VC. at a 0.9/1.0 zoom  ?

Archived