Introducing FTX Trees HD - Immersion Redefined

Ok, let me just say that it looks good and Im interested but I have one major concern and one minor concern. Firstly, it has always seemed to me that tree density and performance/efficiency varies from region to region and addon airport to addon airport.

New Zealand has zillions of beautiful trees with no noticeable frames impact but in PNW, the trees actually seem to be getting smaller somehow in P3D. Im sure that's not possible but they are less dense than I remember and even setting autogen to extremely dense doesn't help. With New Zealand I can set one back from extreme density and it still looks great. In England, the trees look fine and run fine but, for some reason, they are only dense from low altitudes. I get above about 2,000 feet and they really thin out. New Zealand doesn't do that.

Primarily, I do not want to lose New Zealands dense beautiful tree coverage. but other regions could actually use improvement.

It has always been said that the region switching was primarily needed due to autogen limitations...a lack of types available...and so the only way to deal with that was to switch out textures (or pointers to textures? - the spb files?) hmmm - I don't know enough about this stuff.

let me just say I like it. Love the dead/dormant winter tree look. But my second and very minor issue really has to do with the lack of yellow coloring in the fall deciduous. You've got a fantastic orange and you've got the pale green but yellow maple leaves are quite common throughout the Appalachians in the fall. Its a sea of orange, yellow and red.

So those are my issues. I often run with only trees and no buildings. they're a very important part of the sim.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Scott, this is totally cool. A lot of the stuff I'm doing now needs a lot of trees to make it even half way convincing. I hope these new trees replace the default ones once an Orbx product is installed;  that is, that these new trees will be displayed with my current GUIDs from the default veg libs.

Hopefully with 2015 bringing more advanced compression techniques this can be a VAS DE-crease and a FPS IN-crease...Would be even MORE fantastic if it does in fact achieve this.

Definitely launch day buyer right here though!.

Thanks ORBX

But i will wait to see the impact on VAS as it is my major concern for flying PMDG and aerosoft airbus.

I can't see any trees at all when I'm at 35,000ft in my NGX or A320 :lol: :lol: :lol:

... but I also do a lot of "low and slow" flights (screenshot comp attempts, usually) so I'm looking forward to these new-fangled trees.

Many people use two different .cfg files - one for sight-seeing/small VC overhead flights and another for the more framerate-hungry "systems" orientated jetliner flights. Not me - I like slideshows!

As a matter of interest, if you park your aircraft (*not* your Airbus) near one of the small hangars at NZTH (Thames) in NZNI, you'll get to see trees with branches waving around. They've been there for a while - I thought I was hallucinating when I first saw them :lol:!

Adam.

This looks astonishingly good!

Please consider adding an option for "regular" resolution textures for those who are more mindful of VAS. I'd use these trees at a lower resolution for the the improved colour matching alone for flights where VAS is likely to be an issue, and then use the HD textures when flying the low and slow stuff for sightseeing :D

This looks astonishingly good!

Please consider adding an option for "regular" resolution textures for those who are more mindful of VAS. I'd use these trees at a lower resolution for the the improved colour matching alone for flights where VAS is likely to be an issue, and then use the HD textures when flying the low and slow stuff for sightseeing :D

See JV's response on this:  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/94339-ftx-trees-hd-from-me/?p=857266

He said, "..., you'll be able to switch between FTX Trees HD and the normal FTX trees just by selecting a tick box in FTX Central 2".

That convinced me, I'm buying this product when it's released. :)

Why is everybody so worried about VAS?  Your hard drives are full of Global textures, regions, and airports, yet you worry about trees?  ???

Well if i loose a few bytes of VAS on each tree, and if i am flying over a zillion trees, i am on the verge of a OOM stroke, amn't ?

Why is everybody so worried about VAS?  Your hard drives are full of Global textures, regions, and airports, yet you worry about trees?  ???

I have PMDG for P3D2 aircraft, and I'm finding it's best to learn to fly them in bare-bones terrain, such as standard FTX Global with reduced scenery settings.   As I've experienced PMDG OOM crashes in more densely populated scenery.  I'd want to keep Trees HD turned off here for now.

But for my GA low-level flying, I love to go to the max with scenery (with sliders to the right). And here, I very much look forward to Trees HD.

Well if i loose a few bytes of VAS on each tree, and if i am flying over a zillion trees, i am on the verge of a OOM stroke, amn't ?

No, tree textures are only loaded once, then the same texture is used for every instance. The total amount of textures in FTX Trees HD would be less than a HD airliner cockpit or a set of HD clouds.

This looks like a great product.  Thanks ORBX for putting it together and I will definitely purchase this.

I wonder what other types of HD add-ons you could make.  Perhaps an HD product to display really convincing runways or perhaps something to make roads look better like in X-Plane.  Great job and looking forward to it.

See JV's response on this: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/94339-ftx-trees-hd-from-me/?p=857266

He said, "..., you'll be able to switch between FTX Trees HD and the normal FTX trees just by selecting a tick box in FTX Central 2".

That convinced me, I'm buying this product when it's released. :)

I'm aware of that, but I said I'd like to use the new trees at the original FTX tree resolution for the improved colour matching of the new trees for long haul flights / flying demanding aircraft. Then of course use the full hd trees for VFR with the easier to run GA aircraft.

This is amazing!

One question regarding autogen density: When I set the autogen slider to dense I get, lets say 1000 trees per squarekm. Wouldn´t it be possible to replace the default texture of one tree with the texture of 2 or 3 trees, so that one tree considered by the FSX or P3D engine looks like several trees?  ??? So the engine would have to load 1000 trees, but because the texture of each tree consists of 2 or 3 it actually looks like 2000-3000?

Thanks

No, tree textures are only loaded once, then the same texture is used for every instance. The total amount of textures in FTX Trees HD would be less than a HD airliner cockpit or a set of HD clouds.

John for me personal it's more interesting how this performs compared to global and OpenLC, the rest is obvious for me ;-)

I always love the detail but when reading double size even when the batch processing of P3D is far more optimized?

FYI, the price will be AU$22.95 (USD 17.50, GBP 11.94, Euro 16.50).

Thanks, John - I think you're onto a winner here. I wonder what that works out to per tree? :lol:

As a matter of interest, will all *new* sceneries be using these new trees by default? I suppose you'd have to make it a selectable option in the CP <?>.

Adam.

EDIT: You don't have to answer that! ;)

A clear buy for me, as I was always not really happy with the standard tree textures in FSX and I did not like most of the so far available replacement textures. One question: how is the size issue addressed? For me, trees are always faaar to big within FSX compared to buildings etc. Is there a bigger variation after installing this addon? I am pretty sure that after installation of this addon, I have to run again some tests regarding density settings within FSX.cfg, but for textures like this, that's a minor effort.

Are their added variables of trees? Or is the default number of tree 'options' left in tact?

Kind of hard to word my question but are they strategically placed around the world? How does Global or HD Tree know if it is a palm tree vs a red wood tree for example. Is their any sort of big data collected?

Someone who doesn't use Global might find the current trees adequate, using HD trees as default would force them to purchase.

I rather meant would they be bundled-in (ie. free) - in future "full fat" regions - but selectable on/off if there are framerate issues.

Adam.

Archived