Introducing FTX Trees HD - Immersion Redefined

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can confirm that it increases performance! I have it locked at 30 fps externally and it was more consistant and fluid throughout the flight. A noticable difference. And it looks much better! Tested it both in FTX Norway, as well as in Italy with Global/Vector/OpenLC/Mesh.

Thanks ORBX for this amazing product. :)

I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day... Many thanks Scott, Orbx and Adrian for bringing this excellent piece of work and art to us. It makes my flightsim smooth as honey along with the highly improved trees all around me. I'll see if I can spot some redwoods in NCA later tonight  :smile:

May I ask a quick question about the Trees HD?

In FTX Central 2 Settings page, there are now two boxes regarding trees. Orbx Trees, and Trees HD. Question is, should both boxes be ticked? Will both the old trees and the new ones show, or will the HD trees override the old ones? What happens if you untick the Orbx Trees and keep the HD Trees one ticked? 

In FTX Central 2 Settings page, there are now two boxes regarding trees. Orbx Trees, and Trees HD. Question is, should both boxes be ticked? Will both the old trees and the new ones show, or will the HD trees override the old ones? What happens if you untick the Orbx Trees and keep the HD Trees one ticked? 

Hi Republic3D,

If both boxes are ticked, FTX Trees HD will be prefered over the old Orbx trees.

If you untick the Orbx trees box, the FTX Trees HD box will be automatically unticked too :)

What did the people who have FPS increase do besides the normal procedure, to get this FPS increase?

I ran the installer, ran ORBX_libs (just to be sure) and reapplied FTXG with both tree boxes checked, in FTX central2 and rebooted the PC.

I'm getting the exact same FPS as I did yesterday.

Yesterday I checked several places in the sim, with a historic weather setting and wrote down the FPS numbers. Today I set the same weather settings and visited the same places as I wrote down yesterday, with no setting in the sim changed, so it should be a consistent measurement, I think.

Can anyone tell me what I've been doing wrong?

Yes, both boxes should be ticked for HD trees to show.  The box settings are described in greater detail in the Trees HD manual here: http://fullterrain.com/usermanuals/FTX%20TreesHD%20User%20Guide.pdf

One question: you said that there is an increase in fps. Till now I have used 512 bit trees. If I replace them with 1024 ones, I will anyway get a decrease in fps, won't I?

Thanks.

Yes, you will!  Despite the greater detail in the textures, there is an FPS increase due to the new, optimized models.

What did the people who have FPS increase do besides the normal procedure, to get this FPS increase?

I ran the installer, ran ORBX_libs (just to be sure) and reapplied FTXG with both tree boxes checked, in FTX central2 and rebooted the PC.

I'm getting the exact same FPS as I did yesterday.

Yesterday I checked several places in the sim, with a historic weather setting and wrote down the FPS numbers. Today I set the same weather settings and visited the same places as I wrote down yesterday, with no setting in the sim changed, so it should be a consistent measurement, I think.

Can anyone tell me what I've been doing wrong?

Try the following:

• Make sure your FPS is set to Unlimited in FSX/P3D, and you don't have an FPS limiter installed.

Try an area with a lot of tree density.  The more trees on the screen (especially deciduous trees), the greater the FPS improvement.

Note that there isn't a performance increase with our New Zealand regions, because those regions already featured optimized trees.  In NZSI and NZNI, you've been seeing a performance increase all along :)

Here is the best way to compare your FPS.  This will give you a direct comparison:

1. Load the old textures by unticking the "Use FTX Trees HD" box in FTX Central, and re-apply your region.  Without re-applying the region, no texture swap will take place.

Fire up FSX/P3D and load a flight in a location with a lot of trees.  Note your average FPS.  Save the flight, and exit FSX/P3D.

Open FTX Central, tick "Use FTX Trees HD", and re-apply your region.

Open FSX/P3D and load the flight that you saved earlier.  Note your FPS.  It should be at least a little bit higher, but please note that this isn't an exact science.  Due to the finicky gremlins that drive FSX/P3D, in some areas with a lot of trees I would get an increase of only 2 FPS, but in others it would be as high as 12!  If you don't see much of an increase in one area, try this process again in another location.  Don't expect any miracles, but the testers and I all experienced average gains of between 10 and 20 percent.

Here is the best way to compare your FPS.  This will give you a direct comparison:

1. Load the old textures by unticking the "Use FTX Trees HD" box in FTX Central, and re-apply your region.  Without re-applying the region, no texture swap will take place.
  2. Fire up FSX/P3D and load a flight in a location with a lot of trees.  Note your average FPS.  Save the flight, and exit FSX/P3D.
  3. Open FTX Central, tick "Use FTX Trees HD", and re-apply your region.
  4. Open FSX/P3D and load the flight that you saved earlier.  Note your FPS.  It should be at least a little bit higher, but please note that this isn't an exact science.  Due to the finicky gremlins that drive FSX/P3D, in some areas with a lot of trees I would get an increase of only 2 FPS, but in others it would be as high as 12!  If you don't see much of an increase in one area, try this process again in another location.  Don't expect any miracles, but the testers and I all experienced average gains of between 10 and 20 percent.

That's pretty much what I did, but difference whatsoever. I did a new test, but also no difference.

I'll write a post in the support topic about it, to not turn this thread into a support threat.

Of course, you see no FPS difference when you locked your FPS inside FSX or outside via nVidia Inspector... Surprisingly many people forget this fact and as many tweaking sites recommend the FPS lock, I guess this is the issue here...

More Trees! So now that I get some performance increase I have decided what I want to do with the improved headroom. More trees. Ive been experimenting with my tree loading per cell. Ile keep pushing them up. For me I lock at 30 FPS ( I notice no difference between 30 and 50 FPS). So I guess I have some headroom to stuff more trees into. ::)

Brian

Archived