Skagway to Harlekin Lake, south of Yakutat, Alaska

bernd1151

Weather forecast for our trip to the West Coast of Alaska is acceptable, so we dare to cross the mountain range north of the Glacier Bay National Park and head to the coast. Harlekin Lake is a small airstrip south of Yakutat. The party there needs supplies for their next hunting trips. I am told that there will be two small strips, I should land at the one with two log cabins. Hmmh...

We are cleared for take-off in Skagway. Nothing much to do here for ATC at this time. Btw, I'm not really sure, what this little box in front of me above the dash is for, but I found out it helps me with my glidepath when landing. Maybe someone more in the know can help

14499c.jpg

208fdf.jpg

We are to climb out first to 7,000 feet and fly along the Skagway Inlet to Haines

3.jpg

Somewhere to the south one can (not) see the mountain range of the Glacier Bay Park

3a.jpg

3b.jpg

Finally we have reached the coast and head north from here

485d59.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Luckily the weather has cleared again and we have reached the first of two possible landing spots. This one has two small log cabins right under me, so it could be the right one. There even is a small boat at the shore of the frozen Harlekin Lake. Maybe I can try to land on the lake. Naaaa, better not

8.jpg

There is nothing here at this one, which is to the east of the first one.

9.jpg

Ok, lets turn around and try to land at the first one then. The wind seems to be fine

10.jpg

Ooops, there is a bit of a crosswind coming in from the south. Let’s increase our speed a notch, the strip seems to be long enough

11.jpg

12.jpg

Ok boys, supplies have arrived. You think you have a nice glass of whisky for me?

131a355.jpg

My goodness, the quietness around here is amazing

14.jpg

Thanks a lot gents for your comments, it's very much appreciated

Bernd1151

That "little box" is the windshield heater. If the windshield was obscured with ice, you would still be able to land looking through the "little box"

Greg

Thanks, Greg

Excellent set with some fantastic scenery.

A top class looking aircraft too.

Like the story. Very well done.

Looks like you had quite an adventure in Alaska...

Cheers

Mallard

(now I have to turn up the heater after seeing these pics)

How would you like to be down under Mallard, had the air conditioner on since 6.00am, going to be another hot one today ???

Archived