This is not a Golf tour, it is a Gulf tour!

Stillwater

Heading out of Houston International for a little tour with Jan Kees´ brilliantly fitting repaint*...

pb0tm.jpg

... over Galveston Island ...

tSDb4.jpg

... Freeport ...

WXhLt.jpg

... and towards the endless Matagorda Island, ...

S08Td.jpg

... before reaching Corpus Christie. As we are pilots here, an evening spin needed to be done before getting a Ziegenbock and some fresh fish in the Water Street Oyster Bar...

eOYyn.jpg

Unfortunately the Harbour Bridge is missing in our virtual world (yet). As does the Lexington. Quite some icons here for a scnery designer...

zslTg.jpg

* "flown by Training Squadron VT-35 Stingrays of Training Air Wing 4 at Naval Air Station Corpus Christi", http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/3347-carenado-b200-king-air-us-navy-tc-12b-161197/ 

Gerold great stuff

I remember when I was a younger fellow in the Navy, at NAS Pensacola, the Lex was the training carrier there at the time. I was there when she 'retired' and sailed away for the final time. Since then I have taken my family for a visit to see it now in its new form as a museum (also like you, we travelled from Houston). Somehow we missed Water Street Oyster Bar, but I think about it now, and I believe we did see it.

Outstanding trip here Gerold! The 200 looks great.

Just frequented the Water Street Oyster Bar recently while in Corpus. A great place.

The Lexington is a great reason to visit Corpus. The tour is worth the time spent. What a fantastic and historical piece of work.

Thanks for these.

Cheers,

Jim

Really nice captures Gerold. In 1900, people living on Galveston island thought that hurricanes would never hit their city, until this happened and it was, unfortunately, the deadliest hurricane in history. The US Weather Bureau would not believe Cuban forecasters, who had a lot of experience, when they started calling for an hurricane heading straight to Galveston. Looking at your picture, I can see the little Galveston island, unprotected. Must have been something...

Smashing shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

First one,superb!

Thank Gerold

Fantastic shots from your tour Gerold .

Cheers

Brad

Superb screenies, Gerold. 

Thanks for your compliments, mates!

Really like the detailed coastlines...

Thanks for the trip :)

Mallard

I was also surprised by these details. Vector does a very good job here.

Gerold great stuff

I remember when I was a younger fellow in the Navy, at NAS Pensacola, the Lex was the training carrier there at the time. I was there when she 'retired' and sailed away for the final time. Since then I have taken my family for a visit to see it now in its new form as a museum (also like you, we travelled from Houston). Somehow we missed Water Street Oyster Bar, but I think about it now, and I believe we did see it.

Outstanding trip here Gerold! The 200 looks great.

Just frequented the Water Street Oyster Bar recently while in Corpus. A great place.

The Lexington is a great reason to visit Corpus. The tour is worth the time spent. What a fantastic and historical piece of work.

Thanks for these.

Cheers,

Jim

Ripcord, Jim, many thanks for your local comments. Beside the Oyster Bar there are enough other good places in Corpus, but surely the Lexington alone is worth a trip. Around 70 years old, and what a beast.

Really nice captures Gerold. In 1900, people living on Galveston island thought that hurricanes would never hit their city, until this happened and it was, unfortunately, the deadliest hurricane in history. The US Weather Bureau would not believe Cuban forecasters, who had a lot of experience, when they started calling for an hurricane heading straight to Galveston. Looking at your picture, I can see the little Galveston island, unprotected. Must have been something...

Hope they have their valuables in solid houses...

So good to see comments too from people who know the area.

+1!

A great and informative storyline here Gerold and some wonderful views, capturing and showing it all perfectly!

Also some real interesting and personal comments as well, certainly worth reading!

Thank You all very much for sharing!

Great shots, Gerold!

Lucky

Great shots Gerold! The 4th shot is my favourite!

Thanks, Lucky & kasi!

Also some real interesting and personal comments as well, certainly worth reading!

Thank You all very much for sharing!

Thats it! The insiders knowledge makes it so good to read.

Archived