FTX NOR vs. FTX Global/Vector/openLC EU - a comparison

This comparative set is for all of you who are wondering why they should buy a new FTX region although there are already ORBX products covering Norway (FTX Global + FTX Vector + openLC EU).
As you can see on the animated gifs, the FTX Global family renders the area pretty well. The further improvement provided by FTX NOR, however, is obvious. Amongst other things as POIs, photoreal areas and an ultrarealistic model of seasonal changings and custom textures, FTX NOR offers a way more differentiated landclass, tens of thousands of additional lakes and islands, most filigrane shorelines ... See for yourself:

Edit: The full set of animated gif files has been exchanged because the previous set inadvertently showed the FTX Global screenshots without the Global Vector layers properly activated.  8) 

Tromsø

qE1Zm.gif

Arendal / Grimstad

yO7TK.gif

Smøla island

YnFEI.gif

Modalen

DwaiR.gif

Mo i Rana

9DF1A.gif

Ã…lesund

NT4Ew.gif

Sarpsborg

niRQS.gif

Oslo

o4sSq.gif

This is amazing! In the Arendal/Grimstad shot I can basically see my house! Even from so far away... 
Love that Gullknapp Airport is added! :-D

I'm literally throwing my money at the screen:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJfkxsneRo&index=1&list=UUQMEeeLeo0PFuEwJoXEZVRQ

Have you got a comparison against the freeware Norway Scenic X landclass and all the other flightsim.no offerings?

From what I can see the norwegian freeware looks slightly better than the FTX Global sandwich, but FTX Norway beats the crap outta everything:p

For anyone intrested in flying in Norway, FTX Norway sure is a "must have":D

It would be more interesting for Orbx to compare with FSX or P3D default.

Because with this post, everybody can think that there is no interest to have Global/Vector/ Open LC.

Because we can see that Open LC is false, Vector too....

I just flight on "region", so I don't care, but.......

Hi Cyrille,

sorry but you're missing the point of this thread. There's an obvious (and logical) tradeoff between local detail/accuracy and the overall coverage area of a product. It's probably challenging though for people interested in FTX Norway to estimate how much of a difference there is, which is what these screenshot comparisons are meant to show. Whether that difference is sufficient to warrant an upgrade from Global Base/Vector and openLC EUto FTX Norway is what everyone has to decide for him or herself.

If you want to see how an area compares to FSX/P3D default then just take a flight in the general location shown in the respective screenshot.

Cheers, Holger

It would be more interesting for Orbx to compare with FSX or P3D default.

Because with this post, everybody can think that there is no interest to have Global/Vector/ Open LC.

Because we can see that Open LC is false, Vector too....

I just flight on "region", so I don't care, but.......

Hi ou Bonsoir...

Look at the last shot of OSLO, honesty I'm impress with vector because it does a very nice job on the coastline.

Building, unless you live there you will never know, the immersion is there. Honestly I'm impress with Vector + LC EU on those above screen shot.

I'm a region guy also but I'm very attracted to the Global line. Why, well we all know that other companies have built great airport. Good for ORBX and everyone esle. I kept my money this week for Norway (instead of Vector + open LC)  because this country look stunning. I would say that NZ south was my favorite ORBX product/region but let's wait and see. From what I have seen Norway will beat them all. I feel that they will a lot of small NZMF all over Norway.

Yes I also said above that a stock FSX shot would be interesting.... but I went there 2 hours ago and it's horrible.

I'm glad ORBX went elsewhere.... but again, England is not far!!!!

Ben

Edit: The full set of animated gif files has been exchanged because the previous set inadvertently showed the FTX Global screenshots without the Global Vector layers properly activated. 

Haha. Now the FTX Global shoots looks good, I pull back what I said about the freeware being better. I kinda scratced my head why Vector had those ugly coastlines:p

FTX Norway is worth it just for the upgraded airports, 3D models including lighthouses and custom bridges, vastly improved LC, many photoreal areas and new custom autogen.

Yes Vector + openLC is good, damn good (that's why we have sold a huge amount of copies), but nothing beats the hand-crafted feel of an FTX region and the patch and SP support Holger provides.

FTX Norway sure is worth it from what I can see:D. Im really impressed by the shoots from Tromsø, an area Im familiar with. This is going to be great.

Useally people isn't too impressed when Orbx makes their home area and get dissapointed because it isn't exactly what they tought it would be, well now that Orbx finally has reached my home country and judging from the sreenshoots I really can't complain about anything. You guys have really nailed Norway, Great job:)

As soon as you have neighboring Sweden also as a region I will definitely purchase both :-)

Until then I use EU Base, LC and Vector.

Would be nice to see Norway shots from ENGM Gardemoen and especially ENBR Bergen which are the two outstanding best airport scenery today in Norway thanks to the super talented scenery designer Jo Erlend Sund.

Bjorn

Dear Bjørn!

Have you missed all the Norwegian freeware? Unfortunately the Norwegian payware has a long way still to go before they can be called "outstanding"!!! They should fix all the bugs in them, correct the AFCAD:s and a few other things.  ::) ENGM v2 is not even near the quality of AoN ENGM.

As soon as you have neighboring Sweden also as a region I will definitely purchase both :-)

Until then I use EU Base, LC and Vector.

Would be nice to see Norway shots from ENGM Gardemoen and especially ENBR Bergen which are the two outstanding best airport scenery today in Norway thanks to the super talented scenery designer Jo Erlend Sund.

Bjorn

If you buy and support us Norwegians and show Orbx we have a market in scandinavia then Orbx Sweden could maybe get there sooner than you think:p ;) and some nice aiports to follow...

I would buy sweden for sure:D

FTX Norway sure is worth it from what I can see:D. Im really impressed by the shoots from Tromsø, an area Im familiar with. This is going to be great.

Useally people isn't too impressed when Orbx makes their home area and get dissapointed because it isn't exactly what they tought it would be, well now that Orbx finally has reached my home country and judging from the sreenshoots I really can't complain about anything. You guys have really nailed Norway, Great job:)

Kaboki,

Like you I was concerned when N. California region came out, and the the airport KRRD (Redding) since I actually live in Redding, California.  But, true to ORBX quality both the region and the Redding airport are stunning in every detail!    Now we will have Norway as done only the way ORBX team can do it.  You are going to be a very happy home town flight simmer!  (As will everyone else that gets this new region)

What it mostly proves is that FTX Global Vector is a waste of money or am I being too harsh?

I really don't see your point here? At all. On top you don't own any ORBX product....

I have waited a long time to buy global and now I can say that it make a huge difference color wise.  In AYPY I wasn't sure where the region (because they gave ud a small region with a magnificent airport) ended until I found an UGLY FSX like airport somewhere up north.

With the last shot on the first page of this thread i got convince of buying Vertor, Mesh and LC EU... before the sale end 8) and I was lucky enough :wacko:  to see them BEFORE Frank corrected the images that didn't have Vector.

But this week I'm keeping my hard earned money for Norway who simply look stunning.

Again on that last picture, it's like getting a mini Canberra City Scape WITH the region.

so a guy who fly often at night/cloud or very high in the big tube wouldn't need Norway but instead the Global line.

So all product are on sale.... go buy one 8)

Ben

What it mostly proves is that FTX Global Vector is a waste of money or am I being too harsh?

It's people like you who don't bother educating themselves on products before making stupid comments that drag this community down. Or am I being too harsh?

ATC

Simply speaking, more is better, if you want better scenery for your FSX or P3D it is no doubt that you need to spend more money. Otherwise just confined to the regions that you want. The FSX covers the entire earth, how come it would be so less expensive or just a few software that cover all the earth and have a better result, ridiculous.

If you love flying around the world in default scenery with ugly squared coastlines, bad landclass with the nice checkerboard effect and textures that look like shit, well then maybe FTX Global is a waste of money. For people that want something better, it's money well spent:)

As JV has said ATC, that really is not just too harsh but a bit of a silly statement really. One should take a little time to find out and at know at least the basics about a product before diving in and end up just not making any justifiable or even plausible sense. Then at least a discourse is worthwhile or useful. Otherwise its just senseless.

Its only when you have Vector do you see how much it does for the entire Earth. I love it! As Orbx doesn't have regions covering the entire earth, surely your comment can only be seen as silly. No offence to you personally but if you are someone who likes to fly in all sorts of different, weird and wonderful places all over the world depending on your mood or personal requirements, Vector is indispensable in what it does and the difference it makes to bring the entire planet closer to the real thing is transformative. Of course, if you truly don't have any interest or even a little curiosity in what the skies outside of your local region of choice look like or feel like to 'aviate', and only like to fly the same restricted routes again and again then absolutely, that's fair enough, a Global level product may well not be necessary for you. But, equally,  if you are one of the many who doesn't like their simulated world to feel restricted and enjoys the sense of exploration, discovery, virtual travel experiences, etc then nothing opens up the entire planet for you like the complete combination of the FTX Global series (Global, Vector, Open LC), along with a good Mesh like FS Global 2010 or Ultimate. And this combi will even improve further over time. That is well worth investing in for me personally. Pilot's and Orbx have done a very good job and made a great start to Vector, it's a fantastic product and really is worth a look. I honestly do recommend you give it a go and don't think you'll find many users at all who have it that would look back or want to live without it in the current vast non-FTX Region areas of the world. And don't forget, when it comes to value for money, its well worth it as its a continuously evolving, expanding and improving product as more data becomes available to the team. With Global and OpenLC the world is transformed completely and then Vector is just perfect at stitching it all together to look more as it really should. It goes without saying that Regions will always be benchmark and, as is very clear here, they are getting even better all the time but where they are not available, and that's a lot of planet for more than some time yet, the blend of OpenLC (and its future updates/versions to come) and a continuously-improving FTX Vector is just stunning, a really great investment that will make an ever-increasing difference and simply cannot be beaten. Time will show that more and more and I too like others here am very happy to be flying in a post-Global Vector world.

That all said...right now, there's nothing I'm looking forward to at this time more than this Premium Top-notch FTX Norway Region! These are the real gems! Good luck in making your own decisions but do take time to investigate a little further and think things through a little to avoid making premature and incorrect conclusions based on having acquired insufficient, incorrect or incomplete information. You'll enjoy your sim even more if you choose to do so.

Archived