KRDD - From a Redding Flight Instructor's Perspective...

Hi all...

Here's a whole bunch of previews for KRDD, and as requested by the main man himself (Jarrad of course ;) ), I have tried to add some perspective and thoughts from my time in Redding... Lending some real world credibility to the already exceptionally credible package :)

I'm sure Rob A can also chime in on this one too...

uNZgO.jpg

Horizon Air has a long history at KRDD. Horizon services are currently not operating to or from Redding, but it is hoped that this may well recommence very soon.

716tc.jpg

The new terminal building, as it will be when completed. Redding Airport has bee under constant upgrade and improvement for the last decade.

6SiCV.jpg

The US Forestry Service operates an air unit out of Redding. Most days you'll see a beat up Shorts-360 coming and going from the USFS ramp :)

3LhJ4.jpg

ZzJe2.jpg

Getting top priority and often delaying me and my students in the run-up areas, The Redding Air Attack base operates primarily S-2 Tankers and an OV-10 Bronco for spotting (as well as the converted Cobras)

BOpNY.jpg

The Redding VOR beacon (Ident RDD, Frequency 108.4) is central to many of the airport's instrument approaches and departures, including the challenging "Kendl Two" departure

j7Kvy.jpg

A permanent fixture, though sometimes in different locations, the old English Electric Canberra, formerly of the RAAF sits at KRDD

zhRg1.jpg

Benton Field, Just Northwest of KRDD serves as a great place to practice short field landings and helps to refine students technique with the narrow (and short!) runway

kBRpl.jpg

The challenge I gave my students... Imagine the runway only exists between the beginning of the third white centerline stripe (the taxiway intersection) and the beginning of the airport ID lettering... Now show me a short field landing on that tiny runway ;) (the reward of the succeeded was an ice cream ;) )... It's very possible! (And yes, I've done it during Beta testing too ;) )

3Mrv.jpg

A major river (The Sacramento River ), a major Interstate (the I-5) and a busy rail line runs through Redding, making the best of the Sacramento Valley

zdqUs.jpg

The Sundial Bridge in Central Redding. It actually is a real working sundial as well as a means of getting from one side to the other :)

zoP6w.jpg

The preferred (though often not the case!) view on approach to Runway 16 ;)

e163c.jpg

Runway 34 is usually right traffic for circuit/pattern work. A very easy visual reference for making that turn from crosswind to downwind was (as I called it) "Question Mark Lake" ;)

Um1D.jpg

When I wasn't teaching, I was busy living (mostly sleeping!) down there... 

im638.jpg

Not bad night life when I wasn't sleeping though ;)

eYFX.jpg

Redding is certainly home to a wide variety of aircraft, fitting every possible role...

REOu0.jpg

...Including package delivery...

956W.jpg

Private Business flights, and commercial passenger transport

W97GE.jpg

A very familiar sight... the GA Apron at Redding Municipal. Looks like most of the students are up already ;)

9jd0g.jpg

Las but not least, my old "home away from home away from home" (I worked in this building, had an apartment in Redding, but still officially lived in Richland Washington!) IASCO Flight training occupied the upper floor of the Redding Jet Center FBO building.

When I think of Redding airport, I think, "Hot".  This is because the only times I go there are for the Redding airshow usually in the summer.  One year I was there, I sat all day in a chair on fresh asphalt in 110-115 degree heat.  They were giving away water because people were getting heat stroke.  I couldn't wait to get back to Eureka where it's only 65 in the summer. 

Rob, mate,

I liked your Reddig "shots document" very, very much.

From the perspective of an older aviator, I can say that you honor your profession: enthusiasm, preparation, dedication and love - all - you carry on your work! Your students are privileged to have you as an instructor.

Cheers,

Sinesio

...Lending some real world credibility to the already exceptionally credible package :)

I'm afraid I will have to put a bit of a downer on the above statement.

I would suggest that it should read ...Lending some real world credibility to the already exceptionally INcredible package.

Great work Jarrad and thanks Rob for breathing some life into the beast. ;D 

zdqUs.jpg

The Sundial Bridge in Central Redding. It actually is a real working sundial as well as a means of getting from one side to the other :)

Another "Jarrad Clock Invention" after his awesome working clock at Felts, This too should be a working clock in P3Dv2 with the new shadows feature!

Great post Rob..thank you for all the info and pics!

When I think of Redding airport, I think, "Hot". This is because the only times I go there are for the Redding airshow usually in the summer. One year I was there, I sat all day in a chair on fresh asphalt in 110-115 degree heat. They were giving away water because people were getting heat stroke. I couldn't wait to get back to Eureka where it's only 65 in the summer.

Oh, I remember being strapped into a 172 in the run-up area being baked alive on many a summers day...

Luckily Orbx has yet to develop "heat stroke flow" ;)

Rob, mate,

I liked your Reddig "shots document" very, very much.

From the perspective of an older aviator, I can say that you honor your profession: enthusiasm, preparation, dedication and love - all - you carry on your work! Your students are privileged to have you as an instructor.

Cheers,

Sinesio

Rob, I fully agree with Sinesio.

Peter

Very nice set of shots and great narrative Rob!   As a Redding resident since 1971 I can attest to the incredible work that Jarrard has done with KRDD, Benton, and the whole of the surrounding city areas.   I've taken a few student pilot lessons at KRDD and everything about this package is spot on.  I had the honor of taking all the photographs that could be used for textures and must say I felt so lucky to have Jarrard doing this scenery for what is after all my hometown!   Yeah, it gets really hot in the summer,  but we have lots of lakes and rivers close by, and cool mountain lakes and streams to ease the pain.   ;-)

Here's just a few more shots to add to what is already an incredible photo shoot by Rob N.

The main terminal is nearing completion IRL, but Jarrard has created what it will look like from only artist's renditions and floor plans.  This shot is pretty typical of how it would look like on a hot summer day in Redding.

FrHJo.jpg

Looking West you can even just make out where Benton Airpark is located.

KjftS.jpg

At Rob N's home away from home I see Jarrard has even made a nice night lighting for the Jet Center.

3Gkoe.jpg

The entire city area of Redding, including all the Sacramento River bridges, and even the ACID water diversion dam are modeled to perfection.  The Sundial Bridge is just downriver from this shot.  Even after all the years I've lived here I never tire of the skyline at dusk.

J26YA.jpg

The Sundial Bridge is amazing at dusk or night and the gateway to many miles of hiking trails along the Sacramento River and a huge arboretum just upstream.

Kqnm.jpg

Not to forget Benton Airpark that Jarrard has modeled to a T.

dbNFt.jpg

Wonderful background information and the pictures are nice too! :)

And to Mr. dannybobmusic I haven't been in Redding for probably 30 years now but I distinctly remember a night in a motel there when it was still in triple digits well past midnight. There was an old window type AC unit that would put out a little cool air but made a sound very much like a dentist's drill. Finally around 4 AM we gave up and got back on I-5. I don't think any of us had any sleep that night. I know I didn't.  (It was the only hotel/motel without a "NO VACANCY" sign.)

Thank you again Rob for the outstanding insight,

Also thanks to "the other Rob" for the additional pictures and information,

Tom Wunder

Does anyone know where Marmot parks their aircraft?

Actually, "Marmot" is the callsign used by IASCO Flight Training... The C-172s and Duchesses used by IASCO normally live in rows 3, 4 and 5 of the GA ramp...

In fact, funny yet true story, due to the nature of high volume flight training, there's a lot of tower instructed go arounds when students hang around on the runway rather than exit quickly... IASCO and the Redding controllers have a good relationship though... In fact they got us a soft plush Marmot (the furry creature) holding a sign that reads "go around... Marmot on the runway" ;) It sits pride of place on the dispatch center's counter :)

Actually, "Marmot" is the callsign used by IASCO Flight Training... The C-172s and Duchesses used by IASCO normally live in rows 3, 4 and 5 of the GA ramp...

In fact, funny yet true story, due to the nature of high volume flight training, there's a lot of tower instructed go arounds when students hang around on the runway rather than exit quickly... IASCO and the Redding controllers have a good relationship though... In fact they got us a soft plush Marmot (the furry creature) holding a sign that reads "go around... Marmot on the runway" ;) It sits pride of place on the dispatch center's counter :)

Awesome story thanks! A lot of the controllers I work with are like "What's a Marmot?"

kBRpl.jpg

The challenge I gave my students... Imagine the runway only exists between the beginning of the third white centerline stripe (the taxiway intersection) and the beginning of the airport ID lettering... Now show me a short field landing on that tiny runway ;) (the reward of the succeeded was an ice cream ;) )... It's very possible! (And yes, I've done it during Beta testing too ;) )

OMG that sounds like the checker pilot who checked me out for the FAA PPL. He was some old vietnam veteran bush pilot kinda guy wearing a trucker cap and cowboy boots and came from Texas :) Cool guy though. My last landing he wanted that short field landing. He said "Son i wanna see you touching down right on those numbers (@ PHX-Goodyear AZ Airport)" and i still remember his texan accent ;)

Archived