From the PILOT'S site..

fjacobsen

If anyone needs a stop gap mesh while they wait for funds for ultimate, there is world wide free mesh down to 10m here 

http://simviation.com//fsx_terrainmesh.htm

I have downloaded them all and can recommend Europe and Asia especially Asia that is about 90% error free and looks 100 times better than whats there now. USA is not to crash hot with lots of weird spikes etc.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

I currently have FSGlobal 2008 and FSGlobal Ultimate Americas. So what to do:

- uninstall (and throw away money) and buy and "fallback" to FSG2010?

or

- uninstall FSG2008 and get the rest of FSGlobal Ultimate (quite expensive!)?

Well, of course there are more options. The best options seems to be either keeping 2008 and Ultimate America (is 2010 really that different from 2008?) or buy FS Global but also use Ultimate Americas on top of it (no all money thrown away and a higher class mesh)! So there are more option than you think. Besides, you also have to consider where you fly the most. First of all, do you actually fly outside FTX regions (apparently so), secondly do you inly fly inside America (if so, stick with 2008 and Ultimate) or third: do you fly anywhere else and if so, where? Do those places need to be upgraded from 2008 to 2010 mesh or can you live with the maybe small differences? Specially when you only fly there are few times every year?

+1000 >:(

Good luck trying to get an answer out of PILOTS on how to update. They deliberately offer NO UPGRADE/UPDATE PATH (free or for a small fee) to simply have northern Canada mesh included and some other FTX compatibility updates to allow customers who have already bought the DVD version to be updated to the more ideal and complete download version. The reason they will not answer or provide any upgrade path is that they want to disrespect those loyal customers who bought the DVD (less complete and less compatible) version by trying to force them or by hoping they will buy the download version all over again, at FULL PRICE AGAIN, just to have the updates. I can draw no other conclusion after over a month of watching many customers ask this with no reply, no public communication and no upgrade path on their website for FSX users. I have lost a lot of trust in Pilots over this one issue. If they cared about changing that and valued it, they would do something about it. But they will not. So fine...I'll be one measly dissatisfied customer. Its their problem if they don't care.

My grievance, sadness and disappointment is solely directed at Pilots and their FS Global 2010 mesh product...not in one bit at Orbx or Vector. This grievance has nothing to do with Orbx or their CEO and they remain a company with great principle and support of their customers in my opinion. Pilots does not at this point. I had been considering FSGRW which they claim to be an ideal accompaniment to FTX Global. If the DVD version of FS Global 2010 is not, they will understand if I do not believe this at this time. Vector is a product I continue to support and always have. I will buy it but was really hoping for Pilots to provide me with a way to update my DVD edition of FS Global before installing Vector. They obviously will not but I will not buy the download version again for the full price just to have the more complete and updated version. That's insulting their own loyal customer's intelligence. I will also respectfully report any bugs found like many other members are happily doing as I have no concerns whatsoever with regard to bugs in Vector. This is a Live product and all that will get sorted. I also plan to buy a few more Orbx products in the next couple of days and thank JV for the sale. I will continue to support the professional, supportive and ethical business that is Orbx. I am ashamed of Pilots for not resolving this one issue with regards to FS Global 2010...I find it greedy and shameful on their part with regards to what they expect DVD customers to do just to get a more complete version which includes northern Canada and a few compatibility updates with FTX. Yes, I'm sad, I'm angry, I'm disappointed with this Austrian developer at this time and I have lost trust in them as an ethical business. I doubt they will try and restore it...if they would do so quickly, I would still try and reengage that trust (after buying their FS Global 2005, 2008 and 2010 DVDs instead of their competitors over the years). If not, I can live with a more permanent loss of trust too...it is just sad that deliberate lack of communication can do that to customers...but its not about quantifying the issue...its simple principle that's all, no matter what size the issue. It says a lot about a business to customers. I have no intention to argue with anyone on this issue as others may have a better experience and I am pleased for them, sincerely. This is only MY opinion based on MY experience with ONE PILOTS MESH PRODUCT! Not vector itself. I have never had to publically air such grievance with any company but the practices of Pilots in this issue for so long now has left me with no alternative and so now I have done so and I feel better for having let it out after so long in trying to get an answer from them by me and other customers of the DVD product. I will not engage with bickering with anyone but thank you so much to those of you poor guys who've beared with me airing my grievance for support on updating the DVD edition of FS Global 2010 so it works as ideally as the FTX edition with Vector. Only FS Global 2010 download version (and not even the DVD version) will give the most compatibility with FTX Vector and that is what most customers will want. I am not concerned at all about the bugs in Vector...I know they'll constantly be worked on and that's a non-issue that'll resolve over time. Its the deliberate lack of business ethics by Pilots...They will provide no update path or even have the decency to let their customers know what to do. :(

Thank you guys for bearing with me...those who did.

All the best to you all and to Orbx

Sid

Interesting, my experience with pilots has been the same. I purchased Global 2010 in September than immediately after placing an order I found (on a different page in their website) that very little of Canada was included. I was told through an email that an update would be provided as a download at a later date.

looks like they changed their mind.

Seriously ? a simple download ???

Well, how about FSGenesis then?

According to ORBX this should also be a compatible product.

It's less in size, sorted into continents of your choice and downloadable.

I wonder how this actually works together with FTX Vector in practice?!

Any issues, anyone?

Any issues, anyone?

That is what me too i need to know.. discussion not solve noting at this moment, but some in autority from ORBX or Pilot, can explain if  the FS Genesis and Vector solve the problems mesh, or solve only in part and only Global 2010 can do the right job?  please give us a clarification...

for the bug about Vector, I wait for the patch and thank for the work you are doing at the moment

fly37 Gianni 

Any issues, anyone?

I would very much like to know the answer to this also.

I have FTXGlobal 1.2 and FTX Global Vector 1.00 and FSGENESIS for multi areas installed but I am completely confused about compatibility/issues (if any) or am I fine as installed.

I would very much like to know the answer to this also.

I have FTXGlobal 1.2 and FTX Global Vector 1.00 and FSGENESIS for multi areas installed but I am completely confused about compatibility/issues (if any) or am I fine as installed.

Well if any, YOU should know the answers little by little then! :smile:

So until now things are working OK, or what..? No funny icebergs and stuff?

How about Europe, do you have FSGenesis mesh here also?

Well if any, YOU should know the answers little by little then! :smile:

So until now things are working OK, or what..? No funny icebergs and stuff?

How about Europe, do you have FSGenesis mesh here also?

Good question.  Actually I have not yet covered a lot of area flying yet and was concentrating on flying in the Southern Colorado area.  I did report some problems to Bernd with Lakes in Colorado.  My question was more directed at whether FSGenesis was even necessary since I had already installed Global/Vector and it might be redundant.  Still wondering about that.

I do not have FSGensis for the European area so can't comment on that.  I sent an email to FSGenesis a couple of days ago inquiring about the versions of FSGenesis that I currently have and asking if I need to obtain any updates from them but I have not heard from them just yet.

FSGenesis will work absolutely fine, no problems at all. 

Like all mesh products, none is 100% perfect, so you'll find bugs in that product, PILOT'S products and others also.

OK! Thanks for this assurance, John!

Like all mesh products, none is 100% perfect, so you'll find bugs in that product, PILOT'S products and others also.

Thanks John,

That clears up a lot of things for me.

I am all ready to install but on hold.

Do we really need the FTX GlOBAL MESH  for GLOBAL VECTOR to display correctly.

Yes or No.    Direction lost....

Yes for some areas

No for some areas (I only see minor elevation problems in Asia so far with default mesh but there are many reports coming from Europe and US).

I will be buying a mesh product soon but it's quite a big investment so I will be sometime in the near future.  So far, my Asian flights are pretty decent.

I am sorry, John, this is NOT my experience. I do have a LOT of elevation issues with FSGenesis, be it Germany, the US and so on. Find attached an example for WN26 in Washington, which cannot be corrected when you use FSGenesis mesh. The issue isn't present with FSGlobal, though.

No matter what FSPilot say - the only way to get a trouble free experience is using their mesh. 

post-1865-0-40735800-1388411298_thumb.jp

I was intending to purchase Vector but then realised a 3rd Party Mesh was required which even with the benefit of hindsight wasn't initially obvious without reading the forums and having some reasonable level of technical knowledge. Fortunately I waited and the complaints from other disappointed customers raised my awareness and at least now I can make an informed choice.

I thank all the customers who have been disappointed for raising these issues as you have prevented me from making the same mistakes and I sincerely hope you all get some resolution to ease your disappointment.

ORBX have great customer service and produce good products at reasonable prices but this partnership with Pilots does seem to have rocked the boat slightly. Perhaps I expect too much but it perhaps should have been explained more clearly within the product description on the web site rather than just being referenced within the forums or on demo's and I'm still a little confused but once I have the answers I will part with some cash to support ORBX and their ongoing development. I have therefore posted some questions to hopefully help clarify some points before I make the jump.

Thanks

I am sorry, John, this is NOT my experience. I do have a LOT of elevation issues with FSGenesis, be it Germany, the US and so on. Find attached an example for WN26 in Washington, which cannot be corrected when you use FSGenesis mesh. The issue isn't present with FSGlobal, though.

No matter what FSPilot say - the only way to get a trouble free experience is using their mesh. 

I was trying to figure out if FSGenesis mesh would work with the new vector product myself and what John is saying sounds good to me.  The problem in your screenshot is completely different from mesh & vector compatibility.  What you're seeing is the effect of MS having the wrong elevation data because airports are hardcoded with an elevation.  Mesh cannot change that.  FSPilot mesh can have the same problem.  The difference is they include a little tool that will flatten the area around the airport to match its elevation and make it not noticeable.  

So looking ahead which Mesh is 100% compatible and will result in no errors once all the updates and bugs have been rectified by ORBX or Pilots?

I assume this will be all Pilots Mesh but maybe it's just the 2010 one for sale on the Flightsimstore that apparently is different to their standard mesh products, is it?

A confused prospective buyer.

So looking ahead which Mesh is 100% compatible and will result in no errors once all the updates and bugs have been rectified by ORBX or Pilots?

I assume this will be all Pilots Mesh but maybe it's just the 2010 one for sale on the Flightsimstore that apparently is different to their standard mesh products, is it?

A confused prospective buyer.

I believe Pilots FS Global 2010 FTX is the most compatible one but no guarantee that it will be trouble free.  The good part is that if you see something, report it here, and they will be able to replicate and fix it for you because the developers are particularly using this mesh product based on comments in this forum.

FS Global 2010 FTX is the only download version. 

FS Global Ultimate is more detailed but it only comes in DVD.

There is also FS Global 2010 DVD version but it does not cover Canada.

I was trying to figure out if FSGenesis mesh would work with the new vector product myself and what John is saying sounds good to me.  The problem in your screenshot is completely different from mesh & vector compatibility.  What you're seeing is the effect of MS having the wrong elevation data because airports are hardcoded with an elevation.  Mesh cannot change that.  FSPilot mesh can have the same problem.  The difference is they include a little tool that will flatten the area around the airport to match its elevation and make it not noticeable.  

I wish it would be that easy. But it isn't. This problem only occurs when you have Vector installed. The airport isn't like this with no mesh or FSGenesis mesh alone, if I remember correctly.

This problem only occurs when you have Vector installed. The airport isn't like this with no mesh or FSGenesis mesh alone, if I remember correctly.

That's just weird and makes no sense since Vector is not a mesh product (as far as I understand it, I thought it was vector data only which is lakes, rivers, coastlines, roads).  Are you sure you're testing with just Vector and not Vector + a mesh product of some kind?  I'll check out that airport WN26 you mentioned when I get home tonight (will leave PNW turned off so I'm in "default" scenery) as I have all of the FSGenesis products except their newer Next stuff that came out since they changed to a new store due to licensing issues for the new data they use.  So I have US mesh at 10m resolution everywhere.

hmmmm...I just installed FSGenesis for Europe, before I even bought and installed FTX Vector. Most disappointing.  :-[ 

"Toothless gums" all over vertical cliff edges and "iceberg walls" along rivers in Switzerland, making it looks like aqueducts or dams with water 5-10 meters up in the air. Mind that all my FSX parameters are fully maxed and LOD is set to 6.5000 inside the cfg. So no good! Worse than default mesh!

In that respect, I'm really curious about which mesh ORBX exactly used for their FTX Regions, North America in particular, as this whole mountain area shows up so perfect????!         

Interesting comment posted on the Pilot's site.

"

ATTENTION! This version of AFM was NOT designed to work with FS/FTX Global Vector installed! We are considering to offer a V2.0 soon.

well I wish I would have known that it September when I bought FS Global 2010. I was under the impression that Vector would have the flattening tool as an option.

"Q: Do I need to purchase 3rd party mesh?  A: No, at install time you can decide if you want to use the corrected airport elevations or not. If you don't install them you can use the default FSX/P3D mesh. If at some later point you purchase FSGlobal or FSGenesis mesh, simply re-run the installer.

I was under the impression that AFM would take care of any problems and it was going to be used in Vector.

Interesting comment posted on the Pilot's site.

"

ATTENTION! This version of AFM was NOT designed to work with FS/FTX Global Vector installed! We are considering to offer a V2.0 soon.

well I wish I would have known that it September when I bought FS Global 2010. I was under the impression that Vector would have the flattening tool as an option.

"Q: Do I need to purchase 3rd party mesh?  A: No, at install time you can decide if you want to use the corrected airport elevations or not. If you don't install them you can use the default FSX/P3D mesh. If at some later point you purchase FSGlobal or FSGenesis mesh, simply re-run the installer.

I was under the impression that AFM would take care of any problems and it was going to be used in Vector.

AFM?! Who? What?!

AFM?! Who? What?!

+1

+1

edit earlier post

AFM= Aerodrome Flattening Meshes:

A very useful product/tool which is/was sold by FS Pilot's but was also available for free with their Ultiamte series and their FS 2010 meshes:

http://www.fly2pilots.com/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=d3fca479-6c4c-465b-bd75-97445878ae48

Hope this claryfies/helps a bit.

I also have one question though - and i have to ask it here as i do not know where else to ask, because so far i did not find a dedicated and properly working support forum at the FS Pilot's site or elsewhere for it, so:

Will there be some kind of upgrade for current FS Pilot's mesh users (FS Global 2010, Ultimate series) or not - whether or not this would be a free- or a payware upgrade then is of no concern for me at the moment but i'd just highly welcome if there at least was some proper answer from FS Pilot's regarding this.

Maybe this question has already been answered, then i am sorry for asking again, but there are just to many threads to go through nowadays.

Any advice/answer is most welcome and appreciated!

Cheers, Christoph

No Christoph, I have the same questions and have not found an answer. Is there any support forum for the FS Global product line? All I could find is a forum for the their weather product.

No Christoph, I have the same questions and have not found an answer. Is there any support forum for the FS Global product line? All I could find is a forum for the their weather product.

Hi Martin!

... :( i see, i see!

Thank You very much for Your reply here though!

Cheers, Christoph

Hi Martin!

... :( i see, i see!

Thank You very much for Your reply here though!

Cheers, Christoph

Either here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/71024-fs-global-2010-support-not-here-though-some-instructions/

or directly on their website: http://www.fly2pilots.com

IMHO response time is very good.

Hi Otto!

Thank You very much for Your reply, but

mabye i oversee something, but there is no information regarding those who already own a FS Pilot's mesh, such as FS Global 2010 or Ultimate for instance.

I know it has been pointed out several times that FTXVector should work with any dedicated 3rd party mesh, but  as for instance the latest FS Pilot's Vector mesh for 2010 shows Canada included, which was not included with FS Pilot's Global 2010 mesh so far, i jast want to be certain what to do now.

And so far i just did not find any proper response from FS Pilot's whether or not there will be an upgrade for current FS Pilot's mesh users or not.

Please do not get me wrong here - if there will not be any upgrade, then be it, but i want to know for sure either or not i should consider purchasing the dedicated FS Pilot's FTXVector mesh or not as i already own Glabal Ultimate EU/Africa and FS Global 2010.

Cheers, Christoph

BTW, mild warning: the 4-year-old-terrorist in me decided to fiddle with the "flatten" tool before seeing the warning on the Pilot's site..... NOT a good idea, created all sorts of elevation issues I think I resolved by reinstalling my ORBX regions where the issues started cropping up.... (good test of whether your hard drive is in good shape, btw! O0 )

Wish Pilot's had simply NOT included the tool with the downloadable release, or at least had some sort of warning in the interface not to use it.  Hopefully I am one of the few and the foolhardy enough to have fiddled with it, it will cause unnecessary support headaches for all involved.

Steve

I'm pretty certain that if you want to fiddle/flatten you'll need to wait for AFM 2.0, with the relevant info on when/how to use it; the info is there on the Pilot's site that using AFM 1.0 with the downloadable FSGlobal 2010 for FTX is a bad idea. 

And now it's here, too. :)

I see, but  - sorry if i am repeating myself - what about the areas in Canada for instance which are completely missing in previous FS Pilot's 2010 mesh versions, but which are now part of the 2010 FTXVector specific mesh?

Now if the 2010 FTXVector specific mesh is mandatory, then i will seriously consider purchasing it, but i just want to avoid a situation where i purchase yet another FS Pilot's 2010 mesh and a few weeks later having an upgrade/update available for older FS Pilot's 2010 mesh versions for instance.

I hope this is understandable and i do really not want to get anyone upset, but I just want to avoid something like a "double-purchase" so to speak and therefore very much welcome it if FS Pilot's could offer some information either here or on their website for those customers who already own one or several FS Pilot's mesh products.

Cheers, Christoph

Archived