From the PILOT'S site..

fjacobsen

I continue to get confused... so if I install Global mesh, which isn't the same res as the US regions, how will that affect all the airports that have been designed to work with the regions mesh. I am assuming that the US regions mesh is at a different res to FS Global (or similar) I fail to understand how different meshes are said to be used, but without affecting airports that have been designed to work with different mesh resolutions. I'm probably getting everyone confused...Or am I missing something?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I continue to get confused... so if I install Global mesh, which isn't the same res as the US regions, how will that affect all the airports that have been designed to work with the regions mesh. I am assuming that the US regions mesh is at a different res to FS Global (or similar) I fail to understand how different meshes are said to be used, but without affecting airports that have been designed to work with different mesh resolutions. I'm probably getting everyone confused...Or am I missing something?

Maybe what Holger wrote will clarify things a bit:

Hi there,

Actually, that's the way it has been in MSFS for a number of versions (except in FS9 there's that confusing reversal of display priority settings). The FSX display engine reads the headers of all local and active (in the scenery library menu) mesh bgl files and picks the one for display with the highest compiled resolution. If there are two or more mesh files of the same res then display priority of the entries in the scenery library is decisive. There are a few complications, e.g., the spatial coverage of mesh files can play a role as well, but generally that rule applies.

In theory that means that a third-party add-on mesh can force itself to display instead of our region mesh files and thus interfere with fixed river or lake elevations. However, we keep an eye on what's available out there when generating our own mesh files and deciding on compiled resolution and, to date, I'm not aware of a case where third-party mesh files have led to display issues and I don't really anticipate that happening in the future either.

Cheers, Holger 

Only just seen this thread, kind of wish I'd seen it before buying vector yesterday! So basically I should just go back to UTX unless I want a world on acid? I don't get this only working properly with a separate mesh product bit - if I'd known I had to spend another £50 or so on another product I would have just bought the remaining UTX areas that I don't currently have instead, as I've had no issues with it at all and only went to vector because I thought it'd give me roughly the same thing but for the whole world.

Archived