Any chance for an FTX updater?

Slayer

Your library of products is getting immense. Is there any chance you will produce a utility that will scan our installed products and offer download links for the latest patches etc? It's hard to keep track of everything, seems like stuff gets added update all the time. The more of your products I purchase the harder it gets to keep track.

Thanks.

Your library of products is getting immense. Is there any chance you will produce a utility that will scan our installed products and offer download links for the latest patches etc? It's hard to keep track of everything, seems like stuff gets added update all the time. The more of your products I purchase the harder it gets to keep track.

Thanks.

+1

Brad

+ another 1 (and I've barely started collecting yet, though I did just buy PNW and am downloading it and the patch now)

I don't think an auto-updater needs to actually do the downloading; unless it can 'call' an installed download manager automatically too; I'd be happy just with a notification and a link to the cloud servers that Internet Download Manager can intercept when I click it.

In another forum, a thing like that (update reminder) was deemed as being too intrusive at times. Viewpoints.

I always check on the release thread (subscription) but if there was a small tool reminding me about 'you can update CRM now', why not? Could be a small exe or click in the FTX Central.

Well, I would also like to have a discrete reminder of available updates for the ORBX products I own, can be all too. Maybe something in the FTX Central like an additional report. I wouldn't  like an aggressive popup reminder so much.

Spirit

Hi Guys,

Graham Eccleston gave me a great tip this morning because I had lost track of where I was in my install updates.

It may help you out?  It has saved my bacon.

"Open FTX Central and from the menu on the top left select Tools/Reports/FTX Products Installed and check the version of FTX".

I hope this helps a bit?

Cheers.

Tim..

OK, such a tool is not planned at the moment but a list of the last patches should be possible.

So would not need to switch permanantly between the ORBX website and the own Win Explorer to check the status of the sceneries.
That would be very helpful.

The great thing about being a customer is we can continue to ask :), I'll do the +1 for such a utility, not asking for the auto-update, but just being able to do "am I up-to-date" is a good thing.  Likewise with new products, having an option to see what I haven't purchased would also be a good thing.  Life is busy, and having something to help me keep track of what I haven't purchased would help be throw money at the well deserving team ;)

Cheers

Peter

An update notification system would certainly be useful. It doesn't have to download or install anything. You just run it and it tells you which of your installed products have updates available. It wouldn't have to send any personal information either - it would just download a list of OrbX products and their current version number, and then compare to your installed products/version numbers.

It was easy enough to keep up back when there was just PNW and a handful of airfields, but as the number of OrbX products grows, it becomes more daunting.

We do intend to look into this in the coming months, as we do understand it's become a big list very quickly. 

We want to make things as smooth as possible for our customers so we'll do some thinking about how to wire in a version checking system into new installers and also update all the older installers with it.

It won't be "nagware", but rather you will need to do something like "Check for updates" in FTX Central and it will check your ORBX folder and then produce a simple report showing which products are not yet at the latest patched version.

You can sort of do this now manually but running the version report then checking against the Support page on the website. That's a 3 minute process at worst.

We do intend to look into this in the coming months, as we do understand it's become a big list very quickly. 

We want to make things as smooth as possible for our customers so we'll do some thinking about how to wire in a version checking system into new installers and also update all the older installers with it.

It won't be "nagware", but rather you will need to do something like "Check for updates" in FTX Central and it will check your ORBX folder and then produce a simple report showing which products are not yet at the latest patched version.

You can sort of do this now manually but running the version report then checking against the Support page on the website. That's a 3 minute process at worst.

Good to hear John. This has been on my mind for some time but never got to write it down. The suggestion made by Spirit_66 to add it to Central so it can be ran ad-hoc seems the best way to go from a users point of view. I use the existing Central report, print it out then go through a manual check off process until all is up to date. But an automatic report would be a cleaver and slick way to go.

JV,

Your concept for a  "Check for updates" in FTX Central and it will check your ORBX folder and then produce a simple report showing which products are not yet at the latest patched version." would indeed be helpful, particularly for those of us with a large number of ORBX products. Please ensure that it covers both payware and freeware FTX products.

Look forward to it in the future. Thanks.

Rick

Rick

Well... let me add a suggestion to JV here ... I would suggest a menu entry in FTX Central leading to an interactive world map showing all Orbx regions and airports (plus a side panel for global addons and airplanes) specifying what I have, whether they are up to date or not (with link to outstanding updates and suggestions), what I can buy, with links to the product page and / or shop page.

Another interesting feature on the map would be a distance ruler, just to see what airports to buy for a short hop on my 172.

I think it would also bring some new purchases: I confess I have been a bit disoriented by the quantity of addons available at Orbx lately and being unable to buy everything I have often refrained from buying because I was not sure what to get (a well known problem in marketing: the "confused customer syndrome").

Last but not least, you could use the tool to offer special deals to slected customers, sort of "complete your Australian airports collection for just .... (add a discounted price here)"

Oh and this suggestion comes free! Take it as a "thanks" for the huge improvement you have added to our hobby (but then again, if you want to offer a free something in exchange ... just kidding)

Take care ....

Well... let me add a suggestion to JV here ... I would suggest a menu entry in FTX Central leading to an interactive world map showing all Orbx regions and airports (plus a side panel for global addons and airplanes) specifying what I have, whether they are up to date or not (with link to outstanding updates and suggestions), what I can buy, with links to the product page and / or shop page.

Another interesting feature on the map would be a distance ruler, just to see what airports to buy for a short hop on my 172.

I think it would also bring some new purchases: I confess I have been a bit disoriented by the quantity of addons available at Orbx lately and being unable to buy everything I have often refrained from buying because I was not sure what to get (a well known problem in marketing: the "confused customer syndrome").

Last but not least, you could use the tool to offer special deals to slected customers, sort of "complete your Australian airports collection for just .... (add a discounted price here)"

Oh and this suggestion comes free! Take it as a "thanks" for the huge improvement you have added to our hobby (but then again, if you want to offer a free something in exchange ... just kidding)

Take care ....

Like these ideas AndreaD, though I suspect they will be deemed too time consuming to implement  ::)

Like these ideas AndreaD, though I suspect they will be deemed too time consuming to implement  ::)

Not that time consuming. The whole thing could be implemented in a few days by a good team if some free technologies (line kmz files) can be exploited.

The main point is that in my opinion it would be rewarding because it would help customers tidy up things and decide new purchases.

Not that time consuming. The whole thing could be implemented in a few days by a good team if some free technologies (line kmz files) can be exploited.

The main point is that in my opinion it would be rewarding because it would help customers tidy up things and decide new purchases.

Well I guess 'a team' for 'a few days' is still a cost so whether they decide to implement it will be down to JV.

I'd love it to happen, but remembering how long it took to convince them to add a simple map to the web site so we could see where all the OrbX airports were in relation to each other, I'm not holding my breath!!  :-

Count me in! An updater would be great. My collection of FTX stuff is getting out of hand. I am about to do a full reinstall, but have been procrastinating it since the workload is massive. I'll be waiting for Vectors though till I give it a go.

At some point it would be nice to have an FTX store, downloader, installer, updater and central all in one software, but I guess that will be a huge undertaking...

Agreed.  All it needs to be is a notification system and FTX Central is a perfect place to put it. 

As I go thru the process of reinstalling everything, John, I am shocked to see how many updates I have missed.  OK maybe not shocked but certainly surprised. 

Honestly I'd settle for anything that aggregates all the product-latest version-date-download link into a single place...be it a list in the forum or on the main webpage or in FTX central. I don't mind doing the downloads etc myself.

With over 80 FTX payware and freeware products, not to mention all the other software products from other companies, an Orbx auto notifier of an out of date product would be of an emmense assistance. With so many products to watch out for on updates, I really am lost as to whether everything is up to date on my system. Orbx has just so many products, us diehards really do need some assistance with this.

With over 80 FTX payware and freeware products, not to mention all the other software products from other companies, an Orbx auto notifier of an out of date product would be of an emmense assistance. With so many products to watch out for on updates, I really am lost as to whether everything is up to date on my system. Orbx has just so many products, us diehards really do need some assistance with this.

I've spent most of the week doing a fresh install of FSX and ORBX scenery. Owning a lot of ORBX products is a mixed blessing, but still better than mixing scenery from various developers. This round was extra painful as I had to download every single scenery again from the Flightsimstore.com to make sure I had dual FSX/P3D installers for everything. Not all files with dual installers were marked as such. Keeping track of all the order numbers, purchase dates and serial numbers is also a bit chaotic for an ORBX fanatic.

The REX developers are doing some inspirational stuff. Their auto updater software is a nice step in the right direction. The purchasing of a P3D liscense through the REX configurator was also a nice move.

I'm sure things will improve though if the ORBX history to date is to be used as a proof of willingness to invent and reinvent. If these guys can make flows, I'm sure the ORBX FTX Central can be made into more than a region switcher.

• 3 weeks later...

I have over 50 of the FTX regions and airports packages so far. An updater or at least some utility that informs me of versions newer than those I have currently installed would be a major help in keeping track...

Thanks to the team for considering the option...

A

• 2 months later...

Just came up with a new idea to help keep track of updates. Not withstanding that an automatic updater would be highly regarded. In the mean time what about a database attached to a users login that stores whether or not a update has been downloaded and/or applied.

The input for this could be tick boxes on the side of entry's on the http://www.fullterrain.com/support.html Support page. All we would have to do is scroll through the list ticking off and downloading those we have not done. I hope others can see the merit and simplicity of this suggestion and give their support.

Cheers Anton.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm re installing my scenery with all the loose updates its a pain in the ###. Cumulative updates would be nice or full updated installer. 

If you look at FTX ENG 1 installer and then 3 updates and at the end the orbxlibs. So I have to run 5 installer.

Archived