Antonov An-2 at Milford Sound (inevitably!)

So marvellous to see this venerable old lady get the FSX treatment at last. Where else but around NZMF, seeing as it will take off/land on a sixpence (or should I say "kopek"?).

an2_01_992_1280.jpg

an2_02_58_1280.jpg

an2_03_226_1280.jpg

an2_04_414_1280.jpg

an2_05_557_1280.jpg

an2_06_590_1280.jpg

an2_07_890_1280.jpg

an2_08_623_1280.jpg

an2_09_946_1280.jpg

an2_10_740_1280.jpg

Congratulations to Sibwings - this is a classic.

Adam.

Certainly is nice to see this old lady . enjoying it . Believe it or not I was just setting myself up to fly her from Milford Sound !.. I dont think I could much better . Good shots Adam.

I'm going to need a bigger SSD soon...  I wasn't really interested in adding NZ but all of these impressive screenshots are very tempting!

How close is this scenery package to other places of interest in NZSI?  Sometimes in Orbx South and East the distances make it a bit dull to do low and slow cross-country except in a few high-density areas...  Are there a decent number of airfields in proximity?

I know very little about New Zealand other than that you have a very cool pre-match ritual for rugby 8)

How close is this scenery package to other places of interest in NZSI?  Sometimes in Orbx South and East the distances make it a bit dull to do low and slow cross-country except in a few high-density areas...  Are there a decent number of airfields in proximity?

I know very little about New Zealand other than that you have a very cool pre-match ritual for rugby 8)

The "Haka" is awesome to watch ... and brings a lump to the throat every time I see it ... and I'm a POM/Polak!

NZSI is definitely worth investing in. As in Real Life in NZ, the distances between very varied (and stunning) sceneries are tiny. The saying here is that you can be skiing one minute, then surfing 15 minutes later. Go in any direction from NZMF (Milford Sound) and you're near amazing coastal waters or up in some of the highest mountains in NZ.

Lovely shots Adam, I really like the looks of the cockpit of that plane.

... and 99% of it is clickable/functional. It's a dream!

Super shots and great new airplane addition. I'm also aligning for New Zealand. And yes, a new SSD will have to be installed (With all those new great planes, great sceneries,  FTX Global, Genesis, etc...

Bet that raised a few eyebrows at Millie, seeing a Polski on the strip.. :)

These Polaks sure do get around! I hear the UK is inundated by them at the moment!

I think there's only been the odd An-2 in NZ. LY-AKH ended up in the museum in Wanaka after being flown over from Lithuania. I may do a repaint of that one ;)

In the meantime, I just can't get enough of this photogenic "ugly duckling". Some more from NZSI plus a trip from Auckland to the Coromandel.

an2_13_202_1280.jpg

an2_15_305_1280.jpg

an2_14_968_1280.jpg

an2_11_80_1280.jpg

an2_12_114_1280.jpg

It's ideal for mooching around those little NZ strips - it'll get in and out of most of them with plenty to spare.

To the other Adam ... geddit :lol: ... you'll love it!

Adam.

Adam, thank you for posting these fantastic screenshots, you reminded me to check on the release status of this great looking SibWings Aircraft; I've been watching it's development for quite a while. I can't believe how great of a price this is offered at, it's only 15.99€ and for me that comes to 21$ Canadian. I don't know if I should wait for a review or just buy it based on how how *AWESOME* the SibWings Bird Dog is...  :- 

Have you heard any opinions about it from any reliable resources?

Adam, thank you for posting these fantastic screenshots, you reminded me to check on the release status of this great looking SibWings Aircraft; I've been watching it's development for quite a while. I can't believe how great of a price this is offered at, it's only 15.99€ and for me that comes to 21$ Canadian. I don't know if I should wait for a review or just buy it based on how how *AWESOME* the SibWings Bird Dog is...  :- 

Have you heard any opinions about it from any reliable resources?

You mean my recommendation isn't reliable? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though ... I've been using MSFS since its very first version (yes, I'm that old!) ... and have bought enough aircraft over the years to spot a lemon - or a "keeper". The last year or so has seen *massive* improvements in the quality of aircraft addons - both payware and freeware - and the An-2 has the professional quality and attention to detail that we've come to expect (lately). It's not hugely expensive, so I'd say it's "definitely a keeper - just get it"!

Another indication of how things look with any aircraft developer is to dive into their support forums. In this case, the forums are active - friendly and helpful.

Adam.

You mean my recommendation isn't reliable? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though ... I've been using MSFS since its very first version (yes, I'm that old!) ... and have bought enough aircraft over the years to spot a lemon - or a "keeper". The last year or so has seen *massive* improvements in the quality of aircraft addons - both payware and freeware - and the An-2 has the professional quality and attention to detail that we've come to expect (lately). It's not hugely expensive, so I'd say it's "definitely a keeper - just get it"!

Another indication of how things look with any aircraft developer is to dive into their support forums. In this case, the forums are active - friendly and helpful.

Adam.

Awesome Adam, that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the input. :)

I am so impressed by some of the interior cockpit screenshots I have seen posted over on the Avsim forums. The attention to detail on this aircraft is fantastic, especially an aircraft like this that would have massive amounts of "wear and scuff" from lots of use as a work horse in the back country of Russia. I like how SibWings is able to put over that rustic feeling with their aircraft, the feeling that you are actually flying something that has been around for quite some time, has had many flights and seen more than a few engine overhauls. It looks exactly like something I would expect to see flying supplies and passengers into Soviet radar stations and villages along the remote Kamchatka Peninsula during the late 1970's and early 1980's.

I think what amazes me most is that such an ancient [Flight] Sim can accommodate so many different flying "styles". Not that long ago, I was totally into the hi-tech of programming the FMS in the PMDG B737 NGX. Now, I'm happy to trundle about the skies at a fraction of the speed and just watch the scenery crawl by! I think the paint is wearing off my "V" key :lol:.

Credit where credit's due, of course - and ORBX NZSI around NZMF is always a treat - particularly if you have live weather, as it's different every day.

I don't think there are any flying An-2's in NZ any more, which is a real shame as I think they really suit the place!

Adam.

I was the same way for years with FS2004 Adam, purchasing and flying the very first PMDG 737 and MD11 and programming the FMC's completely blew me away for a very long time. I still enjoy doing long haul computer navigation at high altitudes with some the of latest aircraft releases, but not nearly as much as I enjoy flying low and slow GA and 'Bush Aircraft' using OrbX scenery with it's fantastic amounts of realistic autogen, ground textures, objects, photo overlays, etc.

Btw, I picked up the Antonov An-2 last night, it's an AWESOME plane and I had *NO IDEA* it had such great STOL capabilities; putting this baby into a head wind will get you off the ground faster than you can say CCCP!

I was the same way for years with FS2004 Adam, purchasing and flying the very first PMDG 737 and MD11 and programming the FMC's completely blew me away for a very long time. I still enjoy doing long haul computer navigation at high altitudes with some the of latest aircraft releases, but not nearly as much as I enjoy flying low and slow GA and 'Bush Aircraft' using OrbX scenery with it's fantastic amounts of realistic autogen, ground textures, objects, photo overlays, etc.

Btw, I picked up the Antonov An-2 last night, it's an AWESOME plane and I had *NO IDEA* it had such great STOL capabilities; putting this baby into a head wind will get you off the ground faster than you can say CCCP!

:lol: I have to say that decent scenery (ie. ORBX) has made me "rediscover" low-level flying. Quite often, I just sit in outside view and watch the world go by.

As to the An-2 ... it really is a whole new ball game. "Low and slow" doesn't even half describe it! One of the pilot guides recommends taking off with full up elevator trim. You can see why!

Archived