Customer survey - what are the top 15 UK airports you want Orbx to make?

John Venema

EGCB - Manchester City Airport (Barton)

EGMC - London Southend

EGCC - Manchester (May be to big but I think with the viewing park this would be a great opportunity for orbx)

EGNH - Blackpool

EGTK - Oxford

EGGP - Liverpool

EGNS - Isle of Man

EGHP - Popham

EGHC - Lands End

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about...

EGPK - Prestwick (home of Ryanair in Scotland, often neglected the rail link to Glasgow & also where I originally did my PPL - perfect scenery near by with Turnberry Hotel etc.)

I also think Belfast City would be interesting and possibly Aberdeen? I wouldn't do Glasgow or Edinburgh or airports already covered by UK2000 Scenery as it'd be nice to be able to use both together and give the average pilot more options :)

Large Airfields --Farnborough

Large Airfields -- Manston

Grass roots fields -- Blackbushe

Grass roots fields -- Popham

Grass roots fields -- Lasham

Military -- Mildenhall

Military -- Brize Norton

Military -- Boscombe Down

I would love all of these, but if I had to have a top 3 it would be 1st Farnborough, 2nd Blackbushe & 3rd Lasham.

EGCB - Barton

EGMD - Lydd

EGCV - Sleap

EGBM - Tatenhill

EGCJ - Sherburn in Elmet

EGND - Huddersfield Crossland Moor

EGXG - Church Fenton

EGBS - Shobden

EGHQ - Newquay

EGHA - Compton Abbas

EGHJ - Bembridge

EGHP - Popham

EGSU - Duxford

EGXC - Coningsby

Cark - RAF Historical

Phillip

EGSL Andrewsfield

EGTD Dunsfold

EGSU Duxford

EGSU Duxford (RAF Historical)

EGEO Oban

EGMC Southend

EGSC Cambrige

EGBP Cotswold/Kemble

EGPO Stornoway

RAF Debden (Historical)

EGPA Kirkwall

EGPE Inverness

EGPB Sumburgh

EGPR Barra

EGSS London Stansted

Thanks for asking - great idea. Would second the request from others for some unique and challenging helicopter destinations - oil rigs, lighthouses etc... would also be nice to see a 'twin-pack' for Duxford - old and new.

Looking for MOD bases -- the ones provided are really quite good, they just need parking spots to be added.

Odiham (EGVO)

Middle Wallop (EGVP)

Wattisham (EGUW)

Culdrose (EGDR)

Plymouth (EGHD)

Predannack (EGDO)

Prestwick (EGPK)

Yeovilton (EGDY)

Lakenheath (EGUN)

Leuchars (EGQL)

Leeming (EGXE)

Brize Norton (EGVN)

Coningsby (EGXC)

Marham (EGYM)

Cranwell (EGYD)

I could keep going.

Supermarine facility and docks @ Woolston, South Hampton (Circa 1930 - Schneider cup era)

Boxted (WW2)

Debden (WW2)

Biggen Hill (BoB)

Coningsby (V-Bomber 60's)

Coltishall (V-Bomber 60's)

Woodbury (80's)

Alconbury (80's)

Mildenhall (Current)

Lakenheath (Current)

Boscombe Downe (Current)

Warton (Current)

EGHC Lands End

More grass fields running south to north up through the country.

Basically, I would like military airfields for fighters and bombers in each major era and a good "connect the dots" route for modern GA. If we get just one accurate WW2 fighter airfield and one WW2 Bomber airfield, I'll be happy. Well, I already am completely satisfied with your products, I'll just be happier! ;)

But most of all, as far as wartime stations in England are concerned...please give us some of the long-gone RAF Bomber Command bases in Lincolnshire and Yorkshire !

+ 1

Some of these have already been covered as freeware, but I can see an opportunity for a whole range of WW2 bases and other scenery - The 1940s Collection or similar.

EGTU Dunkeswell - Hilltop location & interesting surroundings

EGHC Lands End - Penzance Heliport - & St Michaels Mount

EGNS Isle of Man - Challenging bad weather sea approach

EGHA Compton Abbas

EGDP Portland

EGFH Swansea

EGKB Biggen Hill Historic

EGLF Farnborough

EGLK Blackbush

EGSH - Norwich

EGHC - Lands End St Just

EGOV - RAF Valley

EGCB - Manchester Barton, Now City Airport Manchester

EGGP - Liverpool John Lennon

EGCL - Fenland

EGHO -Thruxton

EGTE - Exeter

EGHD - Plymouth City

EGUL - RAF Lakenheath

EGHE - Scilly Islands St Mary's

EGSY - Sheffield City

EGVN - RAF Brize Norton

EGTG - Bristol Filton

My first choices are EGSH Norwich and EGCB - Liverpool John Lennon

EGVN RAF Brize Norton

EGVA RAF Fairford

EGBP Kemble (Cotswold Airport)

EGOS Shawbury

EGHH Bournemouth

EGLF Farnborough

EGVP Middle Wallop

EGLS Old Sarum

EGJJ Jersey

EGJB Guernsey

EGTK Kidlington

EGBW Wellesbourne

EGWU Northolt

EGTD Dunsfold

EGUB Benson

Top 3 for me though are Brize Norton (EGVN), Fairford (EGVA), and Kemble (EGBP)

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

My top 15 (Mainly Scotland as that is where I live and where I know the small airfields best)

• EGPE Inverness / Dalcross
  • EGPD Aberdeen / Dyce
  • EGPB Sumburgh
  • EGQS RAF Lossiemouth (Current)
  • EGPA Kirkwall
  • EGPC Wick
  • EGPO Stornaway
  • EGPL Benbecula
  • EGPN Dundee
  • EGPT Perth
  • EGPU Tiree
  • EGTB Wycombe Air Park
  • EGLS Old Sarum Airfield
  • EGTD Dunsfold
  • EGTK Kidlington / London Oxford
For those from Foreign lands this may be of help: http://en.wikipedia....wn_Dependencies

I seccond this post, I´m actually missing those airports sooo desperately and as far as I know, Gary Summons actually plans them but who knows when they will be released.

The only airfields I'm familiar with is EGUL Lakenheath AFB, EGUN Mildenhall AFB, and RAF Feltwell (Historical), as I flew out of EGUL and EGUN, and lived on RAF Feltwell. I would love to see a historical, WWII era, RAF Feltwell. I used to fly RCs off of RAF Feltwell when I lived there from 1988-1991.

Apologies for the lat post fellas. I shouldn't have just posted a pic. Here's the ICAO EGTU... but I think you'll agree it's apretty cool airfield. Made more so, by it's elevation...

+1 - would love Orbx to keep coming further South West :P

The only airfields I'm familiar with is EGUL Lakenheath AFB, EGUN Mildenhall AFB, and RAF Feltwell (Historical), as I flew out of EGUL and EGUN, and lived on RAF Feltwell. I would love to see a historical, WWII era, RAF Feltwell. I used to fly RCs off of RAF Feltwell when I lived there from 1988-1991.

Both my father, AND my wife’s father were based at RAF Feltwell. We lived on base, at different times (during the 1960s). We visited the airfield last year when the USAF threw the gates open for their 4th July celebrations, and it was fascinating to see how much of the old architecture remains.

As a commercial enterprise, I doubt the FTX team will be enamoured with Feltwell, but I did do a very basic 1944 Feltwell as part of my “retro East Anglia†project for default/GEX scenery. It fitted heaps better in the early release of GEX, but when they “upgraded†to the latest version, it all kinda looked messy and incredibly yellow :wacko: .

Anyway, if you are even remotely interested in MY Feltwell, it (and about 11 other sceneries circa 44) can be found on Simviation. It’ll be missing 3d grass, people flow, creature flow, static aircraft and photo scenery landclass, but it’s probably the only one you’ll get! >:D

I “think†captain Vienna dropped a hint that the “WW2 Airfield†scenery they once proposed (and balloted) is a work in progress. Maybe there were sufficient votes to provide a consensus, maybe the guy designing the scenery had an idea of his own, but it looks like we’ll be getting something that evokes a 1940s “Somewhere in England†atmosphere at least.

With regards to the current airfields vote, I only opted for Norwich. Frankly, I’m too lazy to be looking up codes. Having said that, I recently found my old 1984 edition of the Pooley’s Guide, so I might chip in with a few more yet.

It looks like the FTX “house style†leans towards the smaller general aviation fields? (I’m new to this FTX environment). Yes, I know …no signature yet, but I have England, Wales, Old Warden, and Popham. My heart leapt when I noticed “Old Buckenham†was in the pending tray. FTX is wending its way North, so the Southern sector monopoly may be short lived!

Most won’t have heard of “Old Buckâ€. It is an old (8th USAAF B:24) base in the heart of Norfolk, which now hosts a couple of vintage Stearmans, a flying club and an annual air show. My A2A P:51 in its “Ferocious Frankie†guise is SO gonna LOVE that!

As for retro (70s, 80s) military airfields, I think the ACG guys have that pretty well wrapped up. I can’t see the FTX team wanting to revisit something that has already been done so proficiently? Maybe they will, but places like Marham, Bentwaters, Cranwell and Coningsby already exist, and Lakenheath, Brize Norton and Guttersloe are all in the pipeline.

I reiterate a need for Norwich! Soon (one day) we’ll have an FTX Holland to fly to. We can fly from one country, to another, with FTX central set to Europe all the way. Where better to stage from than Norwich, with its long established links to Schiphol? (My first flight from Norwich to Schiphol was in an Air Anglia Dakota!)

Club aircraft flights from Norwich to Old Buckingham will be a doddle, and although close to the city of Norwich, it’s never going to be a frame killer!

We have the Norwich City aviation museum adjoining the airfield, with the Avro Vulcan cutting a very distinctive shape from the air.

It has “history†and presence. Once home to the USAAF B:24s, and the RAF before that. It has industry which mostly occupies the pre-war buildings still extant on the “dromeâ€, such as the old C Type hangars.

Even my old flying club hut is still in evidence, under a mound of ivy and bramble! (Norwich Air Training).

Best of all, “JustFlight†are about to release their Dash, in a FlyBe livery.

Norwich Airport Flights

Flybe operates flights from Norwich airport to the following destinations:

•Aberdeen

•Belfast City

•Dusseldorf

•Edinburgh

•Exeter

•Geneva

•Glasgow Intl.

•Guernsey

•Isle of Man

•Jersey

•Kirkwall

•Knock - Ireland West

•Lyon

•Madrid

•Manchester

•Milan Malpensa

•Munich

•Newquay

•Nice

•Paris CDG

•Rennes

•Southampton

•Stornoway

•Sumburgh

•Vienna

•Wick

•Zurich

Then you have the holiday to the sun departures, from the likes of Thomson; in the 737 (take your pick of candidates for the 737) as well as the KLM daily Norwich-Schiphol shuttle.

So, in anticipation of the FTX Scotland and Netherlands, I’m pressing my case for EGSH Norwich International. :P

Anyway, if you are even remotely interested in MY Feltwell, it (and about 11 other sceneries circa 44) can be found on Simviation. It’ll be missing 3d grass, people flow, creature flow, static aircraft and photo scenery landclass, but it’s probably the only one you’ll get! >:D

Thanks Norfolk Mike,

I just downloaded it and will try it out later this evening.

Rod

Is there still a chance to vote for

Edinburgh?

I have just been there last night, with a fantastic approach. The Firth of Forth bridge, the castle, the surroundings - there is quite a bit around which can be virtualized - and will be worth the purchase...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived