The Cub or the Scout?

rockliffe

Hey guys, I enjoy my Bird Dog immensely, it really is awonderful plane. Because of this I am looking at getting my hands on the SibWings Scout, however, I am now torn between this plane or the A2A Cub. Is there anyone who owns both these aircraft and can offer some opinions and a side by side comparison? Cheers fellas...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only have the Cub a very fine plane indeed for those low and slow flights, great detail also but as mentioned Howard it is on the slow side of things but the accusim part of this is fantastic and makes the plane what it is, as for the scout i cant comment as i dont have this one.

cheers

Iain

Now then i do have the Realair Scout and this is a fine package but i think a little dated now but dont get me wrong here its faster than the Cub and still looks rather nice easy to handle as well and good on frames as is the Cub, if i were to choose again myself i would get the A2A Cub but its your choice Howard and i hope more people chime in with there opions on this one.

cheers

Iain

Howard - I've got both and I agree with Iain - if you don't have the Cub then you really should get it, together with the Accusim pack. It's loads of fun - but as the others said, don't expect to get anywhere fast, it's probably quicker to drive!

Cheers

Paul

For me it's the Scout, no contest. It would be nice if someone did some dirty paintworks for the VC, as it's a bit clean-looking. That said, the inside of this one is much less cartoony out of the box than the SF260 and I think it looks great. The flight model is as good as it always was.

I would have to agree with Mark. The Scout has really nice detail within the VC and definitely has more "snap" while flying it. I love the sounds of the Scout as well and the visibility within it is awesome. It'll get you there quicker than the Cub will just as before mentioned. Happy flying!!

Gary

Also bear in mind the Realair Scout 2007 package comes with several versions to choose from, including the Citabria... and you can customise the cockpits with as much or as little as you like with regard to instruments and avionics... It's just a bit clean... Great to fly though!

Thanks for all the advice guys, appreciated. It sounds like a 50/50 split, what will turn me to the Scout though is it's speed over the Cub... I agree with Mark regarding the too clean VC textures, well at least from some of the pics I have seen. I have some serious decisions to make...

G'day Howard. Did you happen to get the "PC Pilot GA Special" magazine from early 2012 (I think). It had the RealAir Scout with tundra tyres on the cover disk. Not the complete package, but you got three fully working models to fly.

I have both. The Scout is a good airplane, but I don't fly it much. It just doesn't call to me. The VC has good gauges, but the RA VC has always seemed a bit cartoonish to me, as if it's a painting of the cockpit rather than a picture. Same for the exterior.

The Cub is slow! But I still fly it at least 50% of my time flying in FSX. It's just SO DARNED realistic to fly, with Accusim. Perhaps the most realistic GA airplane out there. I love flying with the window open and the door down. Don't get much better visibility than that. And it's just stick and rudder, back to the basics, seat of your pants flying. Flying it will make you a better pilot.

Almost all the planes you can get fly fast. It's okay to have a slow one. Makes it possible to really enjoy some of that payware airport scenery we have. And you already have the Bird Dog for slightly faster flying. The Scout replicates it's envelope a lot. Whereas the Cub gives you a different, and superior, bird to fly.

echo the FR supercubs as well as the Realair Scout. the A2A cub is phenomenal, and good fun, but at the end of the day it's a J-3. If you want a J-3 then it's the plane for you, if you want something like the BirdDog, with some utility to it, go with either the FR supercubs or Scout (just got the new supercub ultra myself)

I love the Scout Its my favorite plane for PFJ.

Its a little slow out of the box but I have given a slight tweak to the engine to give it a bit more pulling power and its really easy on FPS and a real beauty to fly.

Ian

Try the Flight Replicas Cubs!!! ::)

Yes, I just bought the Ultra Super Cub and love it! Gives you a lot more performance than the Cub, although I do have them both but find myself flying the Ultra more just because of the increase in performance.

Martin

My turn to way in. I have not flown the Scout in real life, but I do have friends that do. "After flying the real air scout, I find it behaves and flies very much like the real Scout ". My friend has been a IFR pilot for 30+ years.

Not to take away from the A2A Cub, it's fantastic too

I'd take a close look at both the graphics and the FD of the FR Supercubs before choosing those over the other options mentioned.

Absolutely, Bernt Stolle did the FDE on the FD Ultra Cub for those familar with his work and the graphics are great and similar to the other two mentioned. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them. But if you like STOL flying into the back country the Ultra Cub is worth a test flight ::)

http://www.flight-replicas.com/SuperCubUltrapkg.htm

I absolutely love the Realair Scout package, great visibility, punchy performance and great avionics.

Plus you can't go wrong with a Decathlon.

The A2A cub, as much of a work of simulation art that it is, I barely fly it. Don't know why.

I have the A2A Cub, and it is a fantastic little ship. I am currently using it the most because I am learning how to fly so to speak and it comes off as one of the best planes to do so in, but it is slow like others have mentioned and may test your patience if you are not flying local. The Super Cub may be worth a look, as I am interested in it myself.

They are both good planes. The Scout is a little dated...2007 but it still does ok, especially with Accu-Feel added.. The main advantage over the A2A Cub is that the Scout can be flown at night and in IMC conditions where as the J-3 is strictly day VFR.

Two more recent releases might fit your bill too. The Classics Hangar BF-108 has excellent STOL performance and cruises about 140kts. It is exotic and might be a little intimitdating at first with German avionics but comes with gauge stickies with western units. It is acutally pretty easy to fly once you get used to it.

The Baytower RV-7 also has great short field performance and cruise speed. To me the RV-7 sort of combines the short takeoff/bush capabilities of the Scout with the aerobatics and speed of the SF-260.

Cheers

TJ

I'll plug for the Scout Howard. It's my favorite for sightseeing. You can potter along or cruise at a respectable speed. Also you fly from the front giving a better view. I think the gauges are well done and easy to read. It's very maneuverable with a reasonably powerful donkey and has got me out of some tight spots in dead end valleys. It can get into some pretty small strips too. As for it looking new and clean, that's how I would like mine to be if I could afford a real one. Which of course I can't. I give it five stars.

The A2A Cub is simply the greatest aircraft ever made for FSX, yes it is slow, but not as slow as some have described it. The modelling, sounds, along with Accusim, it just makes it such a great aircraft!

Don't know about the scout cos I haven't got it, but definately get the Cub eventually, absolutely amazing!

I have them both in my hangar and I can just say: I like them both very much! And though it's the Cub that I do not want to miss!

The Real Air Scout does look a little to "clean" for sure, but none the less: It really offers - as already pointed out above - some very fine avionics and also some great flightdynamics and models! And: It's faster than the Cub, which would not be that important if the Cub would not be that slow, what it certainly is!

But as far as I know from some screenshots here in the forums, You are a big fan of the Real Air Duke Howard. And from my personal experience I can only say, that the Scout is of the same high and great "Real Air-quality" as the Duke - just on the scale of a little bushflying plane!

On the other hand though:

A2A's Cub (+ AccuSim) is pure fantastic and unique while flying low and slow within FSX! Really!

It's just so hard to describe:

I'd say A2A's Cub is not only "a simulation" of the Cub, it "feels" like almost being in the air for real when using it within FSX!

It has something like... well: Character (... I can't say it anyway better)

Now I would try to say it that way:

If You want to have a reliable small plane for bushflying, that can also be used for a little longer flights as well, then go for the Real Air Scout. You won't regret it!

But (!):

If You want to really experience flying low and slow and "feel" it - then A2A's Cub certainly is the plane of choice then!

And to be honest:

If I now had to decide which one of these two planes I would rather miss in my hangar I would say it's A2A's Cub - I don't want t o miss it no more!

Cheers, Christoph

Misha@ thanks for the input matey

Christoph@ now then my friend, I thought I had already made my mind up and then you come along... and now I'm unsure again ???

Helmut@ :lol:

Sorry for that Howard - but mabye Your decisionprocess can be a little easier when You consider what Helmut pointed out:

Heidi! ;):)

What let me finally go to the Scout as well was the fact that:

If You consider taking some longer bushflights, then actually the Scout just makes more sense!

And yet:

If You want a truly unique Add-On Howard and literally feel the air under Your wings or open the window while flying low and slow and hear the air around You as if it was almost there although in fact You are just sitting in front of Your PC, then definitely check out A2A's Cub + Accusim!

It's - in my opinion - the only plane of it's class available as an FSX add-on, that offers such a high degree of feeling to really fly this plane!

That's indeed, what makes the A2A Cub such a great add-on!

Cheers, Christoph

Hi

Just getting back into simming after a 5 year hiatus a week ago :) (my first post here !) and I got myself the A2A "accusimed" Cub as my first aircraft. This is a superb piece of simcraft. I have flown it for about 5 hours now in NA Blue PF. You just feel like being there. The flight modeling of the regular, tundra tires and float Cub are very good, the system simulation makes you take care of your plane or else... and the sound package is so good that you'd better listen to your plane to handle it properly.That thing is slow (specially when it has the winfd in the nose !), but you've much to look at anyway. And strictly VFR.

Being a great fan of RA, I've flown the Scout family of planes quite a bit in FS9 . No contest that it is great plane with all the expertise of Sean and Rob thrown in. Good flight modeling too but I've never felt at ease by the pilot view point in the VC. If I'd a choice knowing both, I'll go for the Cub without an hesitation as" it is as real as it gets".

i have the cup.............and i love it............

and when i want it a litle faster i use a tuned aircraft cfg..............so it goes 105mph.........so you both in one ::)

i can post the text(or pm) for the tuning if someone need it,make a backup,and you can change.........accusim works also as the tuned version,if you fly full speed longer,the engine must rebuild...

I don't want to sound like dipstick, and I know it may sound daft... but, I don't like the idea of flying the Cub from the back seat :wacko: So... what exactly is the top speed of the Cub fellas? and the Scout?

then go to the front seat........................ ???

here the specs;

performance="Maximum Speed\n85 mph 74 kts 137 km/hr\n\nEngine\nContinental 65-hp air cooled\n\nService Ceiling\n11,500 ft 3,505 m\n\nMaximum Range\n190 mi 306 km\n\nFuel Capacity\n12 gal 45.4 L\n\nEmpty Weight\n680 lb 308 kg\n\nGross Weight\n1,220 lb 553 kg\n\nLength\n22 ft 6.7 m\n\nWingspan\n35 ft 10.6 m\n\nHeight\n6.7 ft 2 m\n\nSeating\n2\n\nUseful Load\n540 lb 245 kg"

and here the changes for aircraftcfg for the 95hp version,make a backup and only copy that in the cfg..........

[piston_engine]

power_scalar =1.0500

cylinder_displacement=42.75000

compression_ratio=8.50000

number_of_cylinders=4

max_rated_rpm=2700.00000

max_rated_hp=95.00000

fuel_metering_type=1

cooling_type=0

normalized_starter_torque=0.83575

turbocharged=0

max_design_mp=29.92000

min_design_mp=2.99200

critical_altitude=0.00000

emergency_boost_type=0

emergency_boost_mp_offset=0.00000

emergency_boost_gain_offset=0.00000

fuel_air_auto_mixture=0

auto_ignition=0

max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.29000

idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=0.80000

max_rpm_friction_scalar=1.00000

idle_rpm_friction_scalar=1.00000

magneto_order_left_right_both = 1 //sets the order of the magneto switch direction

emergency_boost_duration=0.00000

BestPowerSpecificFuelConsumption=0.50000

detonation_onset=32.91000

than it goes max 105mph..................and has a shorter engine live 8)

Archived