Introducing MSFS Global Trees HD for Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Will this package also have the ability to change the default Asobo tree/foliage sizes?  Unfortunately the default sizes are generally unrealistic. There are several paid mods out there that do this successfully, including Accuseason. 

9 hours ago, AndyWsays said:

Will this package also have the ability to change the default Asobo tree/foliage sizes?  Unfortunately the default sizes are generally unrealistic. There are several paid mods out there that do this successfully, including Accuseason. 

39 minutes ago, Fizzelle said:

Realistic tree sizes in the Marketplace does this but I'd prefer this new Orbx program if it did it!

Vegetation heights have been reduced to match tree species in both urban areas and the rest of the area.

AW_006.thumb.gif.854460c307b8a5e317ae31bb8140bd67.gif

AW_009.thumb.gif.3b1477c41b4a6245a4eb08aa3cd0db44.gif

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 7/23/2024 at 10:12 PM, John Dow said:

Hi

I wouldn't worry too much.  The product will work with PG on just the same as it does now, and the HD Trees will still be there.  As is the case now, if an area such as a city has PG applied by Asobo/Bing, the PG so called trees will take over, just the same as the melted buildings take over the default boxes.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

Carlos

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. I probably have to disagree with the majority of flight simmers. I have no clue where the idea comes from dafult MSFS trees were too tall. That is plain wrong. Dafult MSFS trees are not too tall at all, at least not in the area where I am living (Innsbruck, Austria). Sometimes they are not even tall enough. They might have a too big diameter, yes, but they are not too tall. The large diameter is just a trick to give forest a more dense look (what I like) without affecting FPS and performance too much.

In real life trees can have an enormous hight, they are huge. Just go out into nature and you will see. From where I am writing this I can see some 10 stories appartment blocks in the distance, which are surrounded by by many gigantic decidous trees (maples and beeches) which reach up to the 6th and 7th floors of the appartment buildings. And there are some poplars which are even taller. Much less than the spruces and fir trees in our area.

Looking at the MSFS Global Trees HD in above comparison shot, which are barely taller than the one story buildings in the shot, I have to say they are way too small. For me the shot of the default trees in the second comparison looks way more reealistic than the shot of the Global Trees HD. Sorry, but that's just my 2 cents.

Edit: since the Global Trees HD product otherwise looks great and I will probably buy it, I do hope the user has the choice to stay with the default tree sizes.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 1

Obviously there are many areas of the world where the soil and rainfall lead to tall trees, but overall, I find, based on many years of VFR flight, that trees appear too voluminous in most areas of the world. Sure, if you do a side by side comparison of buildings and trees in most places you'll see that the height is often quite accurate, but when you fly over the scenery the simulation looks just plain wrong.  With the tree height limiter, my flightsim world looks about right, without it, it looks far too forested. 

I also hope we can keep the default treeheight. Where I live they are mostly perfect. Many trees are twice the size of buildings or even more.

Edited by DunRingill

If the tree biomes could be modified to reduce the height of 70-80% of the trees leaving 20-30% full height, it might be more realistic across most of the world. Unfortunately it's not possible as far as I know, and rather than a city full of oversized trees I'll take the lower heights across the board. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wolfko said:

Sorry, but I have to disagree here. I probably have to disagree with the majority of flight simmers. I have no clue where the idea comes from dafult MSFS trees were too tall. That is plain wrong. Dafult MSFS trees are not too tall at all, at least not in the area where I am living (Innsbruck, Austria). Sometimes they are not even tall enough. They might have a too big diameter, yes, but they are not too tall. The large diameter is just a trick to give forest a more dense look (what I like) without affecting FPS and performance too much.

3 hours ago, DunRingill said:

I also hope we can keep the default treeheight. Where I live they are mostly perfect. Many trees are twice the size of buildings or even more.

Don't worry, climate zones were taken into account when assigning vegetation heights. Therefore, some types of vegetation were reduced by no more than 5%.

Innsbruck

FlightSimulator2024-07-2611-55-00-961.thumb.jpg.54fdf58397f8fb7aca4c43218e881c26.jpgFlightSimulator2024-07-2612-12-23-215.thumb.jpg.5a604c867f212278156ea7227c168094.jpgFlightSimulator2024-07-2612-14-29-303.thumb.jpg.9ba928a4c96253cd80e2f72eed1c112e.jpgFlightSimulator2024-07-2612-22-49-124.thumb.jpg.d8bf2493173cc32c89389084823568dc.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, janjoensson said:

Saw this video is out:

Does that mean that it is released very soon? :)

All I can confirm is that we've been advised that the beta testing phase is complete, so unless late issues are discovered I think you will see it within days. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Dow said:

All I can confirm is that we've been advised that the beta testing phase is complete, so unless late issues are discovered I think you will see it within days. 

Looking forward to it :)

Best regards Jan

Am i right in thinking from the video, that we still have to select manually what we wish to see, rather than it automatically changing through the months?  i have noticed a trend with this though so is that an MSFS limitation?

Yes I believe that there are 4 options of seasons, however you should only need to change the settings four times a year, to do with the change from Northern to Southern summer/winter settings, assuming that you are using the current date. 

Summer Winter

Fall Spring

Winter Summer

Spring Fall

• Like 1

I bought and installed MSFS Global Trees but there's a problem, as you can see in the picture below.
I uninstalled Rex AccuSeason and any other mod related to the vegetation before installing MSFS Global Trees.
When i remove the MSFS Global Trees then everything looks normal again.

Any ideas what's wrong? 

trees.jpg

13 minutes ago, Bloodhound said:

Any ideas what's wrong? 

It is 100% in the "Community" folder there is a third-party mod for vegetation (bijanstudio, REX AccuSeason, str1kestudioz-nztrees). Carefully check the "Community" folder and deactivate them.

Got an strange CTD while taxiing in SVCS to RWY10 during the first flight after installation of Global Trees HD. Never happened anything to me in that airport. Decided to uninstall Global Trees HD until I know more about this product.

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Got an strange CTD while taxiing in SVCS to RWY10 during the first flight after installation of Global Trees HD.

Thanks for the report Edward.

I only have the default SVCS (not sure if you have an addon scenery) but just started a flight there with Global Trees enabled and taxied to and took off from rwy 10 without a problem.

Not much help I know!

All the best,

John

2 hours ago, John Burgess said:

Thanks for the report Edward.

I only have the default SVCS (not sure if you have an addon scenery) but just started a flight there with Global Trees enabled and taxied to and took off from rwy 10 without a problem.

Not much help I know!

All the best,

John

Yes, my SVCS is an addon (TDM Scenery) and as I said before, never had any issues when using that airport. Is there any special installation procedure for Global Trees HD (apart from uninstalling any previous vegetation mod from the Community Folder), like Adm rights, etc.?, that I'm maybe missing?.

57 minutes ago, edpatino said:

Yes, my SVCS is an addon (TDM Scenery) and as I said before, never had any issues when using that airport. Is there any special installation procedure for Global Trees HD (apart from uninstalling any previous vegetation mod from the Community Folder), like Adm rights, etc.?, that I'm maybe missing?.

Did you retry the flight? Glitches happen occasionally as once offs. There should be nothing in the HD Trees program to cause a crash, it's just different textures and a modified biomes density and height program. 

1 hour ago, John Dow said:

Did you retry the flight? Glitches happen occasionally as once offs. There should be nothing in the HD Trees program to cause a crash, it's just different textures and a modified biomes density and height program. 

Yes, of course. The second flight was successful, contrary to the first one.

Then, I went deep into the vegetation files found in the vegetation sub-folder of the main app directory in the Community Folder and found what it seems to be an important difference: during the first flight (the one that had the CTD) there were only two files inside the vegetation sub-folder, and in the second attempt, after a new selection of season and grass type (same as before, except that I chose the grass type 2 this time), I found four files in there. Maybe it was a download issue or something related to the app itself that should be verified (I don't know if the app downloads the vegetation files every time after selecting season/grass type or it copies and paste them from another already existing folder).

Waiting for your comments. Thanks!.

I found this deadly slow

Do we have to launch it every time we are going to fly?

RXYC49Q.png

For this section here

I have an Orbx folder in the addon linker

It seems the application automatically found my Community folder, should it be installed there or should I create a folder in my D drive (where I also have Orbx folder?)

It's a bit confusing

wv5NXyb.png

Also the remove...

It is just in case I want to go back to the default? Or do I have to remove every time I close the game?

I expected this to be fully automatic

I saw the video but most people install stuff directly on the community but I have all in D drive with links to the community folder, then I think I should create a path folder despite the selected one above....

Thanks

Carlos

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

Yes, of course. The second flight was successful, contrary to the first one.

Then, I went deep into the vegetation files found in the vegetation sub-folder of the main app directory in the Community Folder and found what it seems to be an important difference: during the first flight (the one that had the CTD) there were only two files inside the vegetation sub-folder, and in the second attempt, after a new selection of season and grass type (same as before, except that I chose the grass type 2 this time), I found four files in there. Maybe it was a download issue or something related to the app itself that should be verified (I don't know if the app downloads the vegetation files every time after selecting season/grass type or it copies and paste them from another already existing folder).

Waiting for your comments. Thanks!.

What you seem to be saying is that you haven't tried to duplicate the first flight, so you can't know if the difference in the number of files causes the CTD. No one across the entire testing regime reported any CTD from any combination of seasons and locations, which is why i suspect a one off glitch, something that is not unknown in MSFS. 

What I can say is that I don't have any way to control the number of files that should or should not appear in the vegetation subfolder inside the CF. During the first flight with the CTD I had two files inside such subfolder, during the second flight (successful), I had four files, and all of them were placed, correctly or incorrectly, by the app itself, not by me. Maybe, it's possibly a glitch that should give the developer more information to see/evaluate if this is a normal behavior or not.

1 minute ago, carlosqr said:

I found this deadly slow

Do we have to launch it every time we are going to fly?

RXYC49Q.png

For this section here

It seems the application automatically found my Community folder, should it be installed there or should I create a folder in my D drive (where I also have Orbx folder?)

It's a bit confusing

wv5NXyb.png

Also the remove...

It is just in case I want to go back to the default? Or do I have to remove every time I close the game?

I expected this to be fully automatic

I saw the video but most people install stuff directly on the community but I have all in D drive with links to the community folder, then I think I should create a path folder despite the selected one above....

Thanks

Carlos

Until you change something in the program the textures remain installed, but not in the Official Asobo folder but as a replacement that is loaded into the sim by the xml instructions in the HD Trees addon. 

To revert to the default you can select the no seasons option in the addon, or, if you remove the HD Trees folder from your community folder, the addon won't run and you will see default Asobo trees. 

I think the idea is once you have selected the suitable season choice from the menu, you won't change it until you enter a different season or fly in the other hemisphere. 

Eventually it might become possible for the seasons to be generated automatically but at the moment I believe it's not feasible. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Dow said:

Until you change something in the program the textures remain installed, but not in the Official Asobo folder but as a replacement that is loaded into the sim by the xml instructions in the HD Trees addon. 

To revert to the default you can select the no seasons option in the addon, or, if you remove the HD Trees folder from your community folder, the addon won't run and you will see default Asobo trees. 

I think the idea is once you have selected the suitable season choice from the menu, you won't change it until you enter a different season or fly in the other hemisphere. 

Eventually it might become possible for the seasons to be generated automatically but at the moment I believe it's not feasible. 

Ok thanks a lot

I'm going to launch my sim and see what happens

Cheers

Carlos

5 hours ago, edpatino said:

Then, I went deep into the vegetation files found in the vegetation sub-folder of the main app directory in the Community Folder and found what it seems to be an important difference: during the first flight (the one that had the CTD) there were only two files inside the vegetation sub-folder, and in the second attempt, after a new selection of season and grass type (same as before, except that I chose the grass type 2 this time), I found four files in there.

To try and explain what should happen during the install (as far as I know that is!)

The first thing OC installs is the app itself in the folder 'MSFS Global Trees HD'.  This contains the various vegetation types in the data folder but is not used by MSFS which is why OC won't install it directly into the community folder.

After launching the app and making the selections for seasons and grass type a second folder 'Orbx-global-trees-hd' is created and it is this one which MSFS actually uses.

As far as I can tell there should be 4 files in the vegetation subfolder.

Not sure why you might have originally just got 2 but worth knowing if anyone else experiences a similar problem.

I just tried a fresh install and found 4 on first install.

Anyway glad it's working okay!

All the best,

John

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Hi Carlos.

My post just above this one should hopefully give a bit more explanation about what's happening.

As you say the app automatically finds the community folder but in your case, wanting to install into a library, you need to use the 'custom folder' option and point the app to the folder you have your Orbx scenery in.

This creates a folder 'Orbx-global-trees-hd' which contains the files MSFS actually uses.

If you use Addon Linker you can activate and de-activate it as usual depending on whether you want default vegetation or the Orbx vegetation

For some reason on my system it appears right at the end of the list in addon linker.

Make sure it's enabled before running the app to change the seasons!

As John Dow mentioned you only need to run the app when you want to change seasons or grass type.

All the best,

John

• Thanks 1

Hello Carlos,
just to clarify a bit more:

Although I am a huge fan of the Addons Linker, I see no point in further complicating the operation
of HD Trees by pointing the software to a folder outside the MSFS Community folder.

If you leave it alone, the HD Trees software works by simply adding a folder to the Community folder
and if something dreadful happens to the Community folder, simply running the HD Trees software
again puts that folder back.

Secondly, all of the settings in the HD Trees software make changes to the simulator except
"Remove from Sim", which simply deletes the "Orbx-global-trees-hd" folder.

Here is what is described in the software as "Default BIOM - All Summer" :

1.jpg

but here is what it looks like with "remove from sim" selected, that is, the software completely disabled and therefore only the actual

default Asobo trees appear, that feature, among other things, the double-decker trees that you can see towering above the others in this screenshot.

2.jpg

Thirdly, just like Accuseason, Orbx Central and so on, the HD Trees software is a configuration program, that once set, can be closed
and not used again unless the customer decides to change the in-game trees.
In my brief experience, it is only a bit slow when first run after installation, but thereafter there is little delay.

• Thanks 2

Thank you John x2 and Nick for the assistance

At the start I might have done something wrong as the sim took more than 1 hr trying to launch but never achieved it, had to close it and tried again had to remove some files too as per the post above I think that even not enabled it's better not to have any other similar product

Then it started and I tested in Costa Rica and Chile but I'm not sure if these were the most recommended to do so, as I didn't noticed the selected grass and the trees were a bit difficult to tell if they were changed but I'll check my installation again (as I did create the folder with the addon linker) probably will just have the direct install as Nick recommends and then will test in more areas. I'll do it later as it is 2 am here and have to work tomorrow

Thank you again

Cheers

Carlos

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John Burgess said:

The first thing OC installs is the app itself in the folder 'MSFS Global Trees HD'.  This contains the various vegetation types in the data folder but is not used by MSFS which is why OC won't install it directly into the community folder.

After launching the app and making the selections for seasons and grass type a second folder 'Orbx-global-trees-hd' is created and it is this one which MSFS actually uses.

As far as I can tell there should be 4 files in the vegetation subfolder.

Not sure why you might have originally just got 2 but worth knowing if anyone else experiences a similar problem.

Thanks John, that's the way the program works and that has been clear to me since the beginning, no doubts in this regard.

I don't remember exactly which exactly were the two files I've initially got into the vegetation subfolder inside the Community Folder, and was not sure about how many of these files were actually required, but after a second and third attempt to recreate the vegetation (or season) and grass using the main interface, I got 4 files. My second flight taxiing out to RWY10 at SVCS was Ok, no CTD.

Good point in letting everybody know how the program works and to check with other users if they experiment or not the same issues related to the number of files in the vegetation subfolder inside the "Orbx-global-trees-hd" folder located in the CF, after the season and grass selection is made.

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2024 at 4:00 PM, Bloodhound said:

I bought and installed MSFS Global Trees but there's a problem, as you can see in the picture below.
I uninstalled Rex AccuSeason and any other mod related to the vegetation before installing MSFS Global Trees.
When i remove the MSFS Global Trees then everything looks normal again.

Any ideas what's wrong? 

trees.jpg

I'm so frustrated here !!!

I uninstalled REX AccuSeason and there were no files/folders left in the community folder, but I also have this problem.

I've deleted some remaining REX folders on my main hard drive and in user documents too but the problem still persists.

If I remove MSFS Global Trees HD everything is fine, same with and without REX AccuSeason. Only MSFS Global Trees HD causes this problem.

orbx hd trees 1.png

orbx hd trees 2.png

Edited by Cpt. Oveur

38 minutes ago, Cpt. Oveur said:

I'm so frustrated here !!!

I uninstalled REX AccuSeason and there were no files/folders left in the community folder, but I also have this problem.

I've deleted some remaining REX folders on my main hard drive and in user documents too but the problem still persists.

If I remove MSFS Global Trees HD everything is fine, same with and without REX AccuSeason. Only MSFS Global Trees HD causes this problem.

There can be only one reason - the presence of a third-party mod for trees in the "Community" folder!!! This can be either a folder or a symbolic link containing a nested folder "vegetation" with the file 10-asobo_species.xml of a third-party mod for trees.

42 minutes ago, Dmytro Krykunov said:

There can be only one reason - the presence of a third-party mod for trees in the "Community" folder!!! This can be either a folder or a symbolic link containing a nested folder "vegetation" with the file 10-asobo_species.xml of a third-party mod for trees.

That helped, thank you !!

I found a city add-on with a vegetation folder that obviously altered files:
https://de.flightsim.to/file/65456/bern

I removed it and now everything works as it should.

I contacted the developer of the other add-on...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cpt. Oveur said:

That helped, thank you !!

I found a city add-on with a vegetation folder that obviously altered files:
https://de.flightsim.to/file/65456/bern

I removed it and now everything works as it should.

I contacted the developer of the other add-on...

Oh boy

I have that one too, it's a shame as the city looks very good.

Thanks a lot for this it saved me time but now I wonder if there are more of these as I have downloaded a lot of cities and some from this creator

Cheers

Carlos

9 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Oh boy

I have that one too, it's a shame as the city looks very good.

Thanks a lot for this it saved me time but now I wonder if there are more of these as I have downloaded a lot of cities and some from this creator

Cheers

Carlos

I also have some other sceneries from this guy. But so far that only seems to be a problem with this scenery. I have already written to the developer at fligtsim.to, asking if he can please fix the problem...

• Like 1