Close call at Bankstown today!

Actually - I thought it was dangerous to attempt that - 200 yds earlier he could have been in those houses- where a similar

occasion resulted in one smashing into houses in the same area

We had a similar flight path over factories - for R 33 and R 35 at Moorabbin - but we knew where to look if we had an engine cut

I look forward to seeing the reason as for the engine failure - it was a delivery aircraft - what's the betting it was 

lack of fuel - notice there were no firies rushing up - that usually happens - to dowse the AC in foam

• Like 3

Unless that angle from the news helicopter is deceptive I suspect he had partial power. He seemed just sooo low for so long. Anyone that has flown a 210, know they don’t have the best glide ratio in the world (but maybe a bit better without the weight of any fuel haha).

• Like 3

19 hours ago, vanderlay said:

Unless that angle from the news helicopter is deceptive I suspect he had partial power. He seemed just sooo low for so long. Anyone that has flown a 210, know they don’t have the best glide ratio in the world (but maybe a bit better without the weight of any fuel haha).

According to the video commentary above, the pilot said, he had lost all power.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wolfko said:

According to the video commentary above, the pilot said, he had lost all power.

Well I for one think he must have had just a little bit that he might not have been aware of, because that run down the street at rooftop height was just a little bit too long for a glide, even inground effect.  But then again we weren't there so maybe the angle of the video just makes it look impossible without a little bit of help.

• Like 2

Go back and watch his shadow - as it increases with each yard - which shows he was losing height all the time

He had no speed to float as his left wing drop indicated the start of a stall to me - and his touch down on the nose first

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

Go back and watch his shadow - as it increases with each yard - which shows he was losing height all the time

He had no speed to float as his left wing drop indicated the start of a stall to me - and his touch down on the nose first

When he was going down that street he had at least 200m of level flight with no loss of altitude.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It is not said at what point he eventually lost the last bit of power.

Besides, I love the dog.😂

Edited by wolfko
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

That was pure unadulterated skill on a video.  Maintained his best flyable attitude all the way and, presence of mind, a bit of left rudder on to the runway.  I've bent a few and recognize talent.  

Edited by olderndirt
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, olderndirt said:

That was pure unadulterated skill on a video.  Maintained his best flyable attitude all the way and, presence of mind, a bit of left rudder on to the runway.  I've bent a few and recognize talent.  

Actually it was on to a taxiway.

• Like 1