This Week's Meaningless Topic (183)(March 8)

Hi all. I'm flying a Kodiak 100 as background for my new book. I will soon fly it in Columbia in support of back-country humanitarian locations. I just picked it up at the factory in Post Falls, Idaho, and flew it down to Felts Field in Spokane, Washington, where my characters will get Kodiak training at the Spokane Turbine Center. That flight took twenty minutes, and I really enjoyed it. And that got me thinking -- how long does a good flight last for me? How long is too long? I ended up saying that my most enjoyable flights are between a half-hour and fifty minutes. More than that, my butt gets sore and I start to zone out. As you may guess, that conclusion leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What length of flight is most enjoyable for you?

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

I fly the Mooney M20M (Bravo).  I like flights of about 100 to 175 miles, or just about an hour to an hour and a half, with a bit more for preflight, etc.  Shorter is not worth much of the prep time, longer can get boring.  Of course there is pre flight planning which adds to it all.

Ken

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I tend to like flight of around an hour and a half, two maximum.....this will of course be longer depending on what you are flying due to the planning and prepping of a plane, obviously more for the tubes etc......so that 2 hour flight might actually be 3 hours in front of the PC, it will really depend on what time I have available.....Sunday I had a spare afternoon to fly, but I couldn't be bothered with all the trimmings and ended up motoring a fast car around a race track, so for me also every once and a while I can feel the fun has gone out of it and just don't fly for a week or two until I get the 'itch' again...I really couldn't see myself doing a flight for 6 or 7 hours, I'd be bored or a sleep....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

A flight around 1hr to 1 and a half hours does me.

Any longer I fall to sleep which isn't healthy for my

passengers. I've done 3hr flights but I have to watch Frasier 

in between.

cheers

Gumby

• Haha 6
  • Upvote 1

If I am bush flying I tend to take trips that involve a few stops. Ideally an hour to and hour and a half. When flying heavy metal it's actually about the same time in the air plus time on the ground preparing. Any longer I can hear the lawn crying out to be mowed or the dog wanting to be taken for a walk.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

For vfr flying I join most of you with a time between 45 and 90 minutes. For ifr I am more tolerant: after 1 h of preparation (including flight planning) I accept up to 13 h flying… with 4fold sim speed and the „pause at TOD“ option, of course.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Around 20 miles any longer my butt gets sore and my hands feet go 

numb and I get extremely sleepy. Not a good scenario flying a plane. Oh, then there's this irritable bowel problem, not so good in a plane either. 🥵

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bluebear said:

I usually fly for about two good glasses of red wine

with some cheese

or a maximum of three to four small bottles of beer

with a handful of chips or nuts. :D

Cheers

Ulrich

That is a good way of time measurement. But I fear some of us would not get very far in these intervals…

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Stillwater said:

That is a good way of time measurement. But I fear some of us would not get very far in these intervals…

Karl!!!! No need to say more :)

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 1