This Weeks's Meaningless Topic (#162)(Oct 13)

Hi all. flsm(Frank) recently put up an interesting post in the General Discussion in which he flew take-offs and landings in five Papua New Guinea bush strips. I love those kinds of flights and do a lot of them myself (not as well as Frank).  Flight sim scenery offers many nice bush strips here in the USA Pacific Northwest , and there are many more worldwide. Us grizzled old bush pilots have found most of them by now. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: If you want to do some fun bush flying, where in the world do you go?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

I haven't really done any bush flying I'm more

of a tube flyer, but I do like the shots that people put up.

cheers

Gumby

I too like seeing pictures and videos of bush flying, both in the sim(s) and real word.  But like Gumby, I don't do it myself.  I'll fly my Mooney almost anywhere where there is a paved runway, including Mountain top air strips like Blue Canyon and Sedona, but that's about as close as I get.

Ken

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, boetie said:

Currently exploring the New Zealand (South Island) bush strips. Some beautiful spots!

Cheers

Graeme :)

Sounds like you prepare your RL trip. That´s what I did as well, and it worked out!

If you still can get inspiration from our trip, just send me a PM.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One of my all-time-favourite bush trips is the Tasmania tour which has been published by @teecee Terry Carr more than 10 years ago. I initially loved his descriptions, found that we had crossed common places and people and stayed in contact until he passed away just over a year ago. Rest in peace and enjoy your memories!

For those who would like to follow his tour, I post text & flight plans here.

VFR5 Queenstown to Smithton Via NW Coast.rtf VFR6 Smithton to Launceston.rtf VFR7 Launceston To Central Tiers Tango.rtf VFR1 Fantastic Furneaux.rtf VFR2 Fabulous Frecinet.rtf VFR3 Hobart to Magical Melaleuca.rtf VFR4 Melalauca (Bathurst harbour) to Queenstown via Strahan Harbour.rtf VFR 7 Launceston and Tiers Tour.pln VFR 1 Fantastic Furneaux.pln VFR 2 Fabulous Freycinet.pln VFR 3 Hobart to Bathurst Harbour.pln VFR 4 Bathurst Harbour to Queenstown.pln VFR 5 Queenstown to Smithton NW coast run.pln VFR 6 Smithton to Launceston.pln

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Sounds like you prepare your RL trip. That´s what I did as well, and it worked out!

If you still can get inspiration from our trip, just send me a PM.

Thanks mate, trying not to pack too much in - quality not quantity. We depart Monday am. We'll return another day for sure! Very much looking forward to it! Thanks Gerold!

• Like 4

Not sure if I have a particular goto area but, on occasions, float planes up in Alaska have provided some entertaining flights.

In real life being flown into Lukla in Nepal is the standout moment though I'm not sure if that counts as a bush strip. It has a tarmac runway!

All the best,

John

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1