LM Announces Prepar3D V6

robpol471

this is a weird one, I read that they changed the EULA but I won't mention here, also it seems mostly aimed at commercial / military now, or at least more so than before, but of course that is their main market, we are just paying BETA testers...only a few weeks wait to see what it's all about.....definitely a lot going on in the world of flight sim...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

According to FSNEWS.eu,  P3D V6 will be compatible with scenarios from previous versions:

"The new release will also come with a total airport generation revamp. The default generation of global airports has been drastically improved to make your ground stays far more pleasant to the eye. Additionally, these changes will not conflict with your custom scenery! This has been a focus with all the changes in Prepar3D V6, the developers have worked with the community to ensure that everything is backward compatible and no product should become deprecated with the update."

https://fsnews.eu/prepar3d-v6-to-release-this-july/

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doc_Z said:

There have also been reports (althoug second hand) that v6 will have a personal and a professional version instead of the present academic, etc. 

That's correct. One of the slides from their expo presentation yesterday showed the 3 tiers and new pricing. "Personal" remains $59 with the Pro and ProPlus licenses increased substantially.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

LM apparently made some changes to the modeling of aircraft and wondering how this affects older models.

This is from iFly...

Hi iFlyers,

In light of the recent announcement made by Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D team with regards to the upcoming version 6 we have been receiving questions about our NG & MAX Advanced Series product ranges’ compatibility with this new simulator.

No, the NG/MAX is not compatible with Prepar3D v6.

It requires a rework of the model, textures, effects, gauge displays, PBR and more.

We are currently in development with the MAX for MSFS 2020, as you are aware, that is our main focus now.

We plan to make the NG/MAX compatible with v6 but MSFS 2020 takes precedence.

We cannot provide a timeline for the P3D v6 compatibility or if this would be a paid upgrade at this time.

Happy iFlying!

Only members unfortunately.

http://ifly.flight1.net/forums/prepar3d-v6_topic21115&FID=30&PR=3.html

• Like 1

Gee... i just removed 5.3 and started a 5.4 full fresh reinstall........ and now...puffff:      V6....   🤷‍♂️

Remember old years when we used to see tease....after tease...but this is getting really weird....     like Beta after beta and then.....Bum    FS2024 / V6.....

Feeling  like:

Edited by Raphael_Chacon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

having spoken with a few developers since the announcement I am not sure that I will go beyond 5.4, seems as the market as we know has dropped out their will be very little developed, if however it looks so much better and a lot of my products get moved across I may be interested, I guess we will see next week....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just read the licensing announcement on the P3D website, they have dropped the 'academic' pretext and now its a personal license, same price as before. 

Does anyone know if Orbx will be supporting V6?   From what I read it seams old scenery is compatible so hopefully.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joefremont said:

Just read the licensing announcement on the P3D website, they have dropped the 'academic' pretext and now its a personal license, same price as before. 

Does anyone know if Orbx will be supporting V6?   From what I read it seams old scenery is compatible so hopefully.

A story about the 18th/19th century hat business serves as a sort of parable here.

At this time the best hats were made of felt made of beaver fur.  However beaver was very expensive, so hatters made hats of "imitation beaver" which was actually muskrat.  Now this was a time before the railroads, so the best way of moving bulk goods was by canal boat.  This made the muskrats extremely happy; these really, really nice humans are building all of these artificial rivers just so the muskrat has a wonderful place to live!  But the canal operators did not see it that way, because the muskrats did a lot of damage burrowing under the berms and tow paths.  So the canal operators offered a bounty. On the Erie Canal in 1830 it was $1.00, actually quite a bit of money then. To collect the $1.00 all the trapper had to do was go to the canal office with the muskrat's tail.  The trapper still had the rest of the muskrat which he could sell to a felt maker for $0.25. So the same muskrat got "sold" twice.

Microsoft was the trapper, and Flight Simulator the muskrat that was sold twice.  Unfortunately that resulted in a EULA which left out the casual "gamer,"  which hurt Lockheed's sales, especially after MSFS came along.  Of course the other purchaser of the muskrat was Dovetail, which after much hype about "personal" flight simulator, dropped the ball.

Now it would seem that Lockheed can and will change the EULA allowing recreational use of the new P3D.  As a great fan of P3D I can only hope that the new EULA is not too little, too late to boost sales, and consequently lure some developers to create new add ons for it.

By the way, with my simulator cockpit and the way I use the sim, I've always felt that I qualified for the P3D EULA's allowed use for "simulation."  This is, in the context, a vague distinction.

Ken (the Hatter)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, pilot100 said:

That is the weirdest simile (parable) I have ever heard, but it might form the basis of a great MS game, muscrat hunt.......🤩:).

OK don't flame me just kidding.

OK, maybe a strange analogy, but you see my point?!

But, on a hopeful note.  I just saw an interview of Orbx CEO Anna, where she held out hope that if the new P3D 6 attracts enough business we might see some third party development for it.  I hope so.

Ken

• Like 2

Yes I see your point. The difference is when MS goes muscrat hunting they use grenades not traps.

I saw the interview FWIWW. She really didn't say much about P3D V6, except that if the customer numbers are enough devs will dev for it. Some indications are that existing P3D stuff may not be compatible with V6, but seems like we don't know for sure. If that is the case it won't help much.  It's interesting that V6 personal will have the requirement to stay internet connected whilst prof vers does not, not sure what thats all about. 

It's wait and see time - hey that's deja vu isn't it.

• Like 2

yeah only a few days, Ken I like your little story, it made me smile....I can't remember his name but the guy at Aerosoft said to me once, when you use P3D do you learn something new?, my answer was yes, well you are a student then - he said....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I already said my interest for a "reasonnable" fee to get updated scenery for V6.

When Orbx is able to evaluate the work involved and hence the cost to update, it would be a good indicator to ask us if we vote for a paying update.

Of course, I consider that this should be profitable also for Orbx (income as well as reputation).

That would be good business and a win-win operation.

Thanks.

Gérard

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

well reading stuff from some developers they are talking like they have had access and it's a lot of work, but who knows, I'd like Global and True earth to be updated if it was possible but no one says a lot on here lately, I sometimes know how a mushroom feels....😁

• Like 1