It's never ending

Aussieflyer38

2 hours ago, BradB said:

Why go thru all this frustration Don with the MS Store version , uninstall all of it and go the Steam route my friend : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250410/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_40th_Anniversary_Edition/

Cheers

John

Thanks John, been missing you lately, nice to see you back. If that's the answer, then I'm all for it. I was always under the impression that it was best to get it through Microsoft store. Question, is the Community folder the same, I have it saved like Nick advised, can I load that back into the steam version?

You know what is weird, is that I have MSFS 40th anniversary on my old computer as well, and it works fine, but soooo slow.

Thanks again for the advice.

Don

Edited by Aussieflyer38
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pilot100 said:

You should get the option to load in either safe or normal mode, are you not seeing this option displayed when you start the simlulator? 

Yes I was, but MSFS ignored my selection, and opened the "safe" version each time (5). I think I'll do what John (Brad) has suggested and install the steam version, apparently it's pretty trouble free. I've run out of patience and time with the store version. Gonna be a lot of work, but hopefully I'll have a sim I can fly in in the end. 

Folder system is the same plus you can designate where you want to place the sim in . I keep mine in my G drive away from my main SSD C drive . I started out in 8-20-2020 with the store version but moved too Steam in January of 2021 . Best thing I ever did . 

• Like 1

Well, your call, and hope it works out. I still think you have a driver or add on corruption issue because you can load the flight in safe mode. The zen desk, which I gave you the url to earlier, is quite specific on that and in fact safe mode (apparently) turns off all add ons. 

Anyhow as I say whatever you decide and best of luck with it.

Brian

• Like 1

Hello,

you can do all of those things with the Microsoft Store version as well.

All of mine is also installed on the G drive and there is only 2.36 MB on the C drive.

I am not sure that the Steam version will solve these problems.

Don't forget that thousands of MSFS users have managed to update without these

problems and if they are all local, buying and installing a second version of MSFS

may well not put things right.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pilot100 said:

Well, your call, and hope it works out. I still think you have a driver or add on corruption issue because you can load the flight in safe mode. The zen desk, which I gave you the url to earlier, is quite specific on that and in fact safe mode (apparently) turns off all add ons. 

Anyhow as I say whatever you decide and best of luck with it.

Brian

Thanks Brian. My community folder is empty so I don't know here else any addons could be. I have MSFS on two computers, and my old computer running win10 runs the latest version without problems, so not being a computer wizz I have no idea what the problem is. Thanks for trying to help

Don 

Although it is a bit drastic, this webpage tells you how you can "Refresh" MSFS with a few mouse clicks.

Microsoft Store version - How to Repair or Uninstall Microsoft Flight Simulator – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

That might well be worth a try.

Once you have set it off, you could go away and do something else while it sorts itself out.

44 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Although it is a bit drastic, this webpage tells you how you can "Refresh" MSFS with a few mouse clicks.

Microsoft Store version - How to Repair or Uninstall Microsoft Flight Simulator – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

That might well be worth a try.

Once you have set it off, you could go away and do something else while it sorts itself out.

Thanks Nick, I don't understand what the difference is between Steam and Store versions, I always thought they were the same you were just downloading the same thing from a different source.

That's my understanding as well, but I don't have it, so I can't give a definitive answer.

I have read, I think, that what is bought from Steam is the "game", that is the first part that

downloads, around one and a bit GB.

Then, once that is installed and running, the "game" downloads all of the content,

from Microsoft, just like it does when you buy it from the Microsoft Store.

Perhaps John can put us right on this, as a Steam user.

• Like 1

I am coming in here a little late -  but having seen all the suggestions for Don to try - I note he has Windows 11

I had noticed on my computer  Windows 10 - that I was getting reminders that a particular update was available

and i think it had the same Number as the one for W11  - and on the basis that it wasn.t mandatory I Ignored it 

Soooh - i wonder Don if somewhere in the past few days - you may have updated W11 - and the following is what 

is happening to you

I read somewhere that The sim would stop sometimes as if one had pressed pause - and if one had pressed pause 

the sim would not restart - but I cant remember where I saw it - maybe someone else did

Microsoft Users, Avoid Installing This Windows 11 Update (msn.com)

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

I don't understand what the difference is between Steam and Store versions,

all I can say is that deliberately purchased the Steam version from the beginning & it just works,

I also note that experienced simmers switched from the MS version to the Steam version after encountering problems…

there is a downside - for example, I also have Xbox Series X & Orbx (& other purveyors) purchases from their stores which I use in Steam PC version - I have to then purchase again for the Xbox via the Marketplace - effectively double $charged…

Nick Cooper @Nick Cooper can explain this better than I can…

so Don - Steam works super smoothly as far as install & updates go (I actually detest the Windows Store install methods for PC - only my opinion)…

good luck with it mate! :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

I am coming in here a little late -  but having seen all the suggestions for Don to try - I note he has Windows 11

Hello John,

I don't think it can be relevant here, it supposedly only affects "some games" and even then only their performance.

Don has a problem that for him, the "game" does not work at all.

I have the aforementioned update and MSFS might be a little more jerky but if it is, it's very little.

1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

you can do all of those things with the Microsoft Store version as well.

All of mine is also installed on the G drive and there is only 2.36 MB on the C drive.

I am not sure that the Steam version will solve these problems.

Don't forget that thousands of MSFS users have managed to update without these

problems and if they are all local, buying and installing a second version of MSFS

may well not put things right.

Thanks Nick, I understand what you are saying, and it might well be that this is specfic to my computer/MSFS situation. I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I have MSFS on my old computer that downloaded okay and works, but it's almost impossible to use it as it is sooo slow now, don't know why, but that's another problem for another day - if ever. 

At this point now, with all the advice and comments, I pretty confused, all I know is, I have MSFS that doesn't want to work/run. The only difference between my old computer and my new one is Win11 and a better faster system, so nothing makes sense. My computer works great doing the normal things, I have absolutely no complaints, happy as a pig in you know what :) until I try to get MSFS going as I have previously said :rolleyes: many times. I think It's decision time, all I'm doing now is spending hours at my computer reading everyone's advice and not getting anywhere. I need to make a decision and give everyone some peace.

Thank you for your help. It's nearly 1800 here in Brisbane, so not far short of retiring for the day and ponder. 

Don 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Heaton said:

I had noticed on my computer  Windows 10 - that I was getting reminders that a particular update was available

and i think it had the same Number as the one for W11  - and on the basis that it wasn.t mandatory I Ignored it 

Soooh - i wonder Don if somewhere in the past few days - you may have updated W11 - and the following is what 

is happening to you

I read somewhere that The sim would stop sometimes as if one had pressed pause - and if one had pressed pause 

the sim would not restart - but I cant remember where I saw it - maybe someone else did

Microsoft Users, Avoid Installing This Windows 11 Update (msn.com)

Not as far as I know John. Update is a dirty word around here right now. :) My sim doesn't stop until it gets to loading a flight, then it just stalls, doesn't close it just, I suppose you could say "freezes", picture stays there, the ribbon doesn't move, no alternative but to shut it down.    

7 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Thanks Nick, I understand what you are saying, and it might well be that this is specfic to my computer/MSFS situation. I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I have MSFS on my old computer that downloaded okay and works, but it's almost impossible to use it as it is sooo slow now, don't know why, but that's another problem for another day - if ever. 

At this point now, with all the advice and comments, I pretty confused, all I know is, I have MSFS that doesn't want to work/run. The only difference between my old computer and my new one is Win11 and a better faster system, so nothing makes sense. My computer works great doing the normal things, I have absolutely no complaints, happy as a pig in you know what :) until I try to get MSFS going as I have previously said :rolleyes: many times. I think It's decision time, all I'm doing now is spending hours at my computer reading everyone's advice and not getting anywhere. I need to make a decision and give everyone some peace.

Thank you for your help. It's nearly 1800 here in Brisbane, so not far short of retiring for the day and ponder. 

Don 

It's possible it's a folder permissions thing, or virus software, or administrator access, any number of things.

In my experience it can be best to completely uninstall and reinstall, with a guide of all steps you should take from go to whoa, including ensuring virus software is disabled orr configured correctly, that you install with administrator access, your folder paths are optimised etc.  If you have been using the Orbx Central backup feature, you'll have minimal downloads to reinstall Orbx software and overall you will probab;y save heaps of time.

I would have thought that there would be at least a couple of MSFS and/or Orbx users in the Amberley area who could come to your computer and see what's going on, how you'd find out or contact them I don't know, is it possible to search for users in your area here on the forums I wonder?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Dow said:

It's possible it's a folder permissions thing, or virus software, or administrator access, any number of things.

In my experience it can be best to completely uninstall and reinstall, with a guide of all steps you should take from go to whoa, including ensuring virus software is disabled orr configured correctly, that you install with administrator access, your folder paths are optimised etc.  If you have been using the Orbx Central backup feature, you'll have minimal downloads to reinstall Orbx software and overall you will probab;y save heaps of time.

I would have thought that there would be at least a couple of MSFS and/or Orbx users in the Amberley area who could come to your computer and see what's going on, how you'd find out or contact them I don't know, is it possible to search for users in your area here on the forums I wonder?

Didn't know about Orbx Central Backup, how does that work?

I have a friend who knows a bit about Computer systems call in and take a look today. He's not a flight simmer, but does a bit of gaming, I showed him what was happening, or wasn't happening. I tried a couple of his suggestions, which were very similar to what you guys are suggesting without success. Tonight is decision night of what I will do moving forward. Thanks John  

Don - Just like you say you are - I am not too well up in computer buzz - but i am a logical person - who sees people having problems with 

W11 - and even MS saying - "Don't Download the Windows update - if you are a gamer" - and the problem is a freezing one

The update has been around for a while and it could be in your new PC  - that you have had for only a short time

You seem to be happy that the Sim worked well in your oldie - well !! - nothings changed really - assuming you have only UD10 on your old one-

have you done the upgrade ud11 on that - and it still works - your new PC - is just an upgrade in all your hardware which is solid state - 

Sooh! - logically - the problem can be only one thing on your new PC - W11 - and I suggest you go back to who you bought it from - or failing that

get someone to remove W11 - Which is NOT stable - and go back to what you know is working - on your old one - install W10 on your new one

• Like 1

Hello John,

not really wishing to start an argument here but I am also a logical person and my version of

logic tells me that there are (tens of) thousands of Windows 11 users, just like me, who do not have the

problems that Don is having.

There are also (tens of) thousands of users of the Microsoft Flight Simulator, Microsoft Store version,

like me, who do not have those problems either.

In the light of that, the logical solution does not rest in replacing either Windows 11, which in

my experience is the most stable Windows version yet, or Microsoft Flight Simulator, Microsoft

Store version with the Steam version.

If you are prepared to accept that then the problem must be local to Don's PC.

Whether that be software or hardware related, or both, remains to be seen.

I do agree that going to, or getting in an adviser, to look at the troublesome installation is most likely a good idea.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello John,

not really wishing to start an argument here but I am also a logical person and my version of

logic tells me that there are (tens of) thousands of Windows 11 users, just like me, who do not have the

problems that Don is having.

There are also (tens of) thousands of users of the Microsoft Flight Simulator, Microsoft Store version,

like me, who do not have those problems either.

In the light of that, the logical solution does not rest in replacing either Windows 11, which in

my experience is the most stable Windows version yet, or Microsoft Flight Simulator, Microsoft

If you are prepared to accept that then the problem must be local to Don's PC.

Whether that be software or hardware related, or both, remains to be seen.

I do agree that going to, or getting in an adviser, to look at the troublesome installation is most likely a good idea.

i bow to your much greater knowledge than I - I just hope the old bloke just doesnt give up in frustration 

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

If it wasn't so far away, I would go round to Don's house and try to sort it out.:D

I suppose if I was allowed to drive long distances - I would offer because he's only about 2 hours away

Unfortunately - I am only allowed to drive to church on Sundays:ph34r: 

• Like 1

"Something I thought of overnight. You said you have MSFS installed on another computer? My guess is that you need to uninstall that one, I doubt that Microsoft allows two copies to be installed concurrently. "

Good thought. I've been following this silently, so far, and have to agree with the majority of the opinions. Windows 11 is an excellent, stable O/S. Even though I have the Steam edition of MSFS, I cannot envisage that any benefit could be gained by dumping one version and switching to the other. A few months ago I had massive problems with MSFS. It was looping on an update, and therefore was unplayable. I came to the conclusion that was something corrupt in Windows, so I uninstalled MSFS, and did a fresh Windows install, then reinstalled MSFS. It was arduous, and a real pain, but the sim is now running flawlessly.

I've also had CTDs caused by problems in the Community Folder. As people have said, removing/renaming it almost always brings the sim back. Somehow, I don't think Don's problem is with the Community Folder.

I know that's not been much, or any, help, but many of us are watching this, and thinking of ways to assist.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi Don, 

I too have been following this thread, but as a newcomer to MSFS I have no 'box of tricks' to help you.

For what it's worth - I had a new pc last year with W11. I keep W11 up to date. I purchased MSFS from Steam. I downloaded the Sim update yesterday. No serious problems but it did change a couple of my settings which I have now fixed.

I agree with Nick's note above -

11 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I do think that John Dow has made a good point -

42 minutes ago, John Dow said:

My guess is that you need to uninstall that one, I doubt that Microsoft allows two copies to be installed concurrently. 

Given that MSFS is online whenever it runs, I expect that it does check if that licence is being used on another pc.

I hope that you find a quick solution and wish you good luck.

Just my two penny worth, 

I am using win 11 and with the latest update 22h2  and have had no issues loading and running MSFS  or updating it. So definitely is not a win 11 issue as such. 

I'd definitely recommend  the Microsoft Store version - How to Repair or Uninstall Microsoft Flight Simulator – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com) option that Nick suggested - what have you got to loose?  

I also read in the MSFS forum that some users have had issues with products they have bought through the store, and these have caused issue similar to the ones you descibed originally. They suggested that re installing the products cleared the issues. As the products from the in game store are stored in the main folder (at least that is waht I understand - correct me if I am wrong here)  and not the community one I am wondering if this could be an issue.

I have no experience with steam or the steam edition so no comment on that except that it seems like you will have to buy the product again which would not be my personal choice.

Brian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I have a friend who has it installed on two PCs with only one purchase.

The only proviso, I gather, is that you cannot run both at the same time.

I would imagine that he has both Pcs registered here:

Microsoft account | Home

Nick is correct in that MS tell you to close down the other PC / X box because you can only run it on one machine at a time

and if one has the sim via the games pass - there is no limit to how many machines - the "game" is installed upon

In fact -  it doesnt need to be installed at all - it can be played on Cloud -- although I wouldn't attempt to do that

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

I have a friend who has it installed on two PCs with only one purchase.

The only proviso, I gather, is that you cannot run both at the same time.

I would imagine that he has both Pcs registered here:

Microsoft account | Home

Hi Nick, the only reason I had both was to see if it ran okay on my old rig then I concluded there was definitely something amiss with my new rig. I have now removed it, don't need   two anyway:) 

14 hours ago, John Heaton said:

I suppose if I was allowed to drive long distances - I would offer because he's only about 2 hours away

Unfortunately - I am only allowed to drive to church on Sundays:ph34r: 

Thanks for the kind thought John, I'm in the same boat myself, I am on a 50 kilometre limit, for medical reasons. 

18 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Don - Just like you say you are - I am not too well up in computer buzz - but i am a logical person - who sees people having problems with 

W11 - and even MS saying - "Don't Download the Windows update - if you are a gamer" - and the problem is a freezing one

The update has been around for a while and it could be in your new PC  - that you have had for only a short time

You seem to be happy that the Sim worked well in your oldie - well !! - nothings changed really - assuming you have only UD10 on your old one-

have you done the upgrade ud11 on that - and it still works - your new PC - is just an upgrade in all your hardware which is solid state - 

Sooh! - logically - the problem can be only one thing on your new PC - W11 - and I suggest you go back to who you bought it from - or failing that

get someone to remove W11 - Which is NOT stable - and go back to what you know is working - on your old one - install W10 on your new one

Thanks John. I asked the computer mob I bought it from to uninstall Win11 and install Win10, they said with my new MB etc, my computer wouldn't run on Win10. See this is where my lack of knowledge kicks in, I took them at their word, you don't have much choice when you don't know. Should have asked one of you guys. :rolleyes: