It's never ending

Aussieflyer38

I really have had a gutful of Microsoft and their updates. Why don't they let something that works alone, instead of continuing to mess with it and muck it up. Apart from the graphics drama many of us are having, now it won't load flights in my sim. About 75% of the way loading the flight, it freezes and just sits there doing nothing. :banghead: I've shut it down and rebooted it, both MSFS and my computer, nothing changes, four times now all the same. I gave it a rest and tried again, different airports in case there was   a conflict there - nope, still freezes, I've given up and am asking for suggestions, should I re-install it?

Don 

You have something in your community folder that's conflicting almost guaranteed. I had the same. I put all my community folder stuff into a hangar and MSFS loaded. Put all Orbx files and other add-ons that I guessed would be safe back in, and MSFS still started. I've got maybe two dozen files left, eventually I'll check them but I don't need them, I'm enjoying the DC3 in VR too much. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, boetie said:

Yeah, I'm with John. Do you use addons linker Don? If so hit the little red cross and the refresh icon to disable your addons and try launching the sim. 

Cheers

Graeme

No haven't used it so far Graeme, wish I had, it might have been an easy fix.

2 hours ago, John Dow said:

You have something in your community folder that's conflicting almost guaranteed. I had the same. I put all my community folder stuff into a hangar and MSFS loaded. Put all Orbx files and other add-ons that I guessed would be safe back in, and MSFS still started. I've got maybe two dozen files left, eventually I'll check them but I don't need them, I'm enjoying the DC3 in VR too much. 

Thanks John, can't quite understand why now? I haven't had this problem before the update.  

G'day Don

I had updates go through yesterday and so far

everything seems fine. I just took of at some random

airport, can't remember which one now and all seems normal.

I haven't flown the sim for months now in p3dv5, 

no time,:(. You've had a crap month or so from what I've read and

Ms updates can be a @%$**&^% at times. Hope it works out.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gumbypickett said:

G'day Don

I had updates go through yesterday and so far

everything seems fine. I just took of at some random

airport, can't remember which one now and all seems normal.

I haven't flown the sim for months now in p3dv5, 

no time,:(. You've had a crap month or so from what I've read and

Ms updates can be a @%$**&^% at times. Hope it works out.:)

cheers

Gumby

Thanks mate, I'll just have to keep on truckin as they say :)

21 minutes ago, boetie said:

Righto Don. Let’s get to know your level of knowledge folder wise. Do you know where your community folder is located on your hard drive/s? 

I know the path to install aircraft and scenery, is that what you mean. Win 10 I could handle most stuff, Win 11 that I'm on now, not so much.  

15 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

I know the path to install aircraft and scenery, is that what you mean. Win 10 I could handle most stuff, Win 11 that I'm on now, not so much.  

This is where it's at on my pc:

G:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2472195004-4180338828-1079957864-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

Your pathway should be similar just the drive letter might change.  Assuming you have the Microsoft Store version installed.  You can also find the path by going into your User folder in the C Drive and findding the appdata path as above.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

I've removed both the Gotgravel aircraft, nothing changed, still won't load. If I can locate the Community folder, would it be best to copy it to my desktop, and let MSFS generate a new one? Sounds like a slow tedious process.

Just rename it to something like NotCommunity and then make a new empty Community folder for MSFS to recognise.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

If I can locate the Community folder, would it be best to copy it to my desktop, and let MSFS generate a new one? Sounds like a slow tedious process.

Hello Don,

all "Community" addons are placed in the Community folder.

The definition of a Community addon is that it was not bought from the in-game Marketplace.

All "Official" addons are placed in the Official folder.

The definition of an Official addon is that it was bought from the in-game Marketplace.

Under no circumstances must a Community addon be placed inside the Official folder and under

no circumstances must the user manually change anything inside the Official folder.

Microsoft Flight Simulator can only see a folder named "Community", so in order to hide all of your

Community addons from it, you only need to change the name of the folder.

Altering or adding one character is enough.

The most intuitive way, involving the smallest chance of a mistake, is to just add an X to the name,

thus renaming it to "CommunityX".

The next time that you start Microsoft Flight Simulator, it will see that there is no Community folder

and create a new and empty one.

As that point, you have excluded all of your Comminity addons and you are left with just the default simulator

and any "Official" addons that you may have added.

Most users find that at this point, the simulator will once again start and run.

If yours does not, then please come back to this topic for some more advice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Don, 

another thing that you can try is to open the Options\General screen from the Welcome screen

and set them all to the lowest possible setting and see if your flight will then load.

Thanks Nick, I'll give it a try, as you can see by the pic, it's actually worse now, the ribbon is barely making it to halfway1318649979_MSFSupdatedrama22.thumb.jpg.2d9e78eb112f72571004557ecd3705db.jpg

2 minutes ago, John Dow said:

I have in the past completely downloaded a new install of MSFS, maybe it's time?  Can e good for the soul despite the wasted day to get it back.  The good news is most settings are retained somehow, control preferences etc.

Thanks mate, but I hope not, my computer is new, just a bit over two months old, and apart from the graphics error some of the other guys are experiencing also, it has been     running sweet as a lamb. I don't know if you are running win 10 or 11, I'm running  win 11, my old computer is on win10 and running MSFS okay or was when I checked yesterday. I'll try it again tomorrow to make sure, because if it is, I think I might have a Win 11 problem, although Nick is on Win 11 without problems, got me beat:(

6 minutes ago, John Dow said:

The good news is most settings are retained somehow, control preferences etc.

Yep, that's a strange thing.

I had used MSFS via the Xbox game pass when it came out, because of a special offer which ran out after 3 months. I then quit the game pass, completely uninstalled MSFS and asked Santa for the DVD version. 

So for about 3 to 4 weeks MSFS was totally absent to my system, but when I installed the DVD version all my previous settings and prferences automatically showed up again. Must have been stored in the cloud under my Xbox user name I guess.

27 minutes ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Thanks mate, but I hope not, my computer is new, just a bit over two months old, and apart from the graphics error some of the other guys are experiencing also, it has been     running sweet as a lamb. I don't know if you are running win 10 or 11, I'm running  win 11, my old computer is on win10 and running MSFS okay or was when I checked yesterday. I'll try it again tomorrow to make sure, because if it is, I think I might have a Win 11 problem, although Nick is on Win 11 without problems, got me beat:(

I'm on Windows 11.  Never had a problem.  All my initial problems were caused by me fiddling with files :-)

• Like 1

I hope you do get this sorted Don, it can be very frustrating at times after an update.....there was an Nvidia update pushed out just before the MS one, not sure if that would help you.....I run Win 11 without any issues, and there shouldn't be as they are both MS programs and will have been tested together lots... community folder is a big issue if lots of downloads are in there, I have very few addons from anyone that doesn't update regularly, on updates I don't touch the community folder but that would be my first place to look and as others have said maybe rename it and drag stuff in slowly to see if there is a culprit, it's tedious but sometimes needed....also is the sim giving you an option to start in SAFE mode? if so take it......also go to the Blue window square at the bottom of the windows screen, open apps, find MSFS, right click, chose MORE then APP SETTINGS, from there you could try Repair or even reset, however reset I think removes your settings...

• Like 1

Hi Don

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

The  comment you made in relation to a answer to John D

Thanks John, can't quite understand why now? I haven't had this problem before the update.  

Asobo has been known throughout many updates to change some items related to how they describe the internal file/folder structures that

are an integral part of any download that you put into the community folder. 

In any community folder item, within the folder that you downloaded and installed there always will be two files called  layout.json and manifest.json

In addition there are often other .json files depending on what the add on developer has put into their product.

These files tell MS2020 what is in the addon and more importantly how to find certain specific items . E.g. in the layout.json file for example

there are specific entries for the path, size and date of every item that is part of the addon

Unfortunately, if you have a folder that worked for Su10 as an example , if Asobo has respecified their description , or if they have added to the description beyond that used in a previous MS2020 version this update will either not work, stop MS2020 from loading or cause a CTD 

At flightsim.to, when you are down loading a file, there is always an indicator which sim update the addon has been tested with.

If you are downloading a non Su11 file, you just need to be aware that it make work perfectly fine, or it may cause you issues  (this is why products such as addons linker are so helpful).

Some thoughts ....

1) You mentioned a while ago that you had malware on your machine .  What did you use to remove it, and if you now have a commercial product such as Malwarebytes

have you looked at its detection history to see if it has quarantined any files, especially any that may be part of your MS2020 installation.

2) Are you now completely sure that your machine is clean and have you checked ?

3) Then I would suggest you try the following:

a) Close MS2020
b) Sign out of  the XBox app and the MS Store
c) Restart your PC
d) Sign back into the MS Store first and then sign into the  Xbox app
e) Then try MSFS2020 again.

4) If this doesn't work and you are completely sure that your machine is clean  and 

you are using a commercial malware solution, temporarily turn off the malware program and try to start MS2020 again.

If you are still having difficulties then follow these steps for Microsoft Defender (again only  if you are completely sure your machine is clean)

These steps are from the second microsoft article link that I have posted below....

DISABLE YOUR SECURITY SOFTWARE

Antivirus and malware checkers can close down or prevent certain applications from launching, even if they are legitimate and safe.

Open Windows Defender and turn off real-time protection.

• In the Cortana search box, type "Windows Security"
  • Open "Windows Security" > "Virus & Threat protection" > "Manage settings"
  • Disable "Real-time protection"

Stop Windows Defender from blocking Microsoft Flight Simulator by adding the launcher to the exclusions list

• Go to Start  > Settings  > Update & Security  > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection.
  • Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings, and then under Exclusions, select Add or remove exclusions.
  • Select Add an exclusion, and then select Microsoft Flight Simulator. A folder exclusion will apply to all subfolders within the folder as well.

Temporarily disable your security program(s) before launching Microsoft Flight Simulator

False positives occur when your antivirus software incorrectly identifies safe software as malicious. If your antivirus or anti-malware falsely flagged Microsoft Flight Simulator remove the file from quarantine if necessary then whitelist Microsoft Flight Simulator. To do so follow the instructions from your manufacturer.

• Sample of Virus & malware checkers that have been known to prevent Microsoft Flight Simulator from launching:
    • Malwarebytes
    • Trend Micro Maximum Security
    • Comodo Antivirus
    • Sophos
    • Emisoft Anti-Malware
    • Avira
    • Avast & Avast Cleanup
    • Bullguard

If the sim loads normally after disabling your security program, whitelist Microsoft Flight Simulator before turning the program back on. To do so, refer to your security software's support website.

First Microsoft article 

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406039624338

Second Microsoft article (source of the above security program steps

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4406047820690-All-versions-Sim-freezes-or-crashes-before-loading-fully

I hope this is of some help

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Don, 

another thing that you can try is to open the Options\General screen from the Welcome screen

and set them all to the lowest possible setting and see if your flight will then load.

Hi Nick, did that and all the settings are already on low, so now that didn't work, but thanks for the suggestion.

Okay first, 

No I do not have Malwarebytes, Hitman or any other, in my system. When I got infected with malware, I contacted the "Microsoft support chat line", and they got rid of it for me. everything went back to normal after that, so I have to assume they did a good/right job. 

2. My Community folder is empty, BUT my old folder is still sitting in my Xbox game folder, does this matter, there is a heap of other files in there, so I guess not.

3. I have to assume my computer is clean, I don't know how to check that.

4. I had a quick fly this morning in safe mode, just a check that at least that works.

5. Prior to the update, everything was fine, it did something that stopped me loading FLIGHTS, it loads okay and goes through all the screens Right up to where I select an airport to fly from and destination airport, that won't load. I have removed my Community Folder, so it can't be addon related, can it??

6. QUESTION, is it worth a try to reinstall the update if possible, because that's when all this drama happened.

7. I'm doing all this stuff you guys recommend, for which I am extremely grateful and not getting anywhere, so is my best move to re-install EVERYTHING?? 

Don

Sorry Pete I omitted to thank you for that post of yours, so THANK YOU, that was an incredible amount of information. One reason is this - time out this morning to go to the optometrist, my wifes dog had a fun night, and chewed up my glasses, now I'm up for $400 for new specs. Never rains but it pours, or something like that:rolleyes:

Don

Edited by Aussieflyer38

Here is some reference to safe mode, which you say works ok: - in essence if you can load flights normally in safe mode then the issue is a third party app somewhere. Re installing the whole is probably not necessary.  Use Nick Coopers advice above, not sure what you mean in your text about "BUT my old folder is still sitting in my Xbox game folder, does this matter" but I wonder whether your MSFS is using that community folder (not sure how) but as he suggestes rename it to communityX or whatever. If you can load flights in Safe mode then not in normal the system is picking up a third part add on somewhere or and incompatible driver, have you added any new divices to the sim  especially legacy ie older ones ?

url https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4405893759378-PC-versions-Safe-Mode-FAQ

WARNING

Your last session of Microsoft Flight Simulator ended unexpectedly.
This may be due to installed 3d party content, out of date content, or incompatible drivers.

Would you like to continue in Safe Mode? In this mode, 3rd party content will be disabled.

If you do not have any issues when Safe Mode is active, then the issue is likely related to 3rd party content. This content can be updated or removed via the Content Manager or the community folder.

If the problem persists, try updating out of date content or incompatible drivers.
You can also check the forums, or contact customer support.

CONTINUE IN SAFE MODE

What does booting in Safe Mode do?

When launching Microsoft Flight Simulator in Safe Mode, mods from the community folder and third party content from the marketplace will be temporarily deactivated.

Do you know which add-on caused my last session to end unexpectedly?

There is currently no way to know exactly which add-on or combination of add-ons caused the crash. To find out exactly which add-on caused the crash, you will need to reactivate your Community and 3rd party content one by one.

• Like 1

Thanks Pilot, I have done as Nick suggested and added a "X" to the community folder, and from what I can establish, the sim is booting up with a empty community folder. 

When I said my "old" community folder is in my Xbox games folder with the newly created Community folder, I don't know enough about MSFS to know if that will cause a conflict.

Don   

Hello Don,

if MSFS has created a new and empty Community folder in the same place as your renamed

CommunityX, then that is the only one that it can see.

If, with an empty Community folder, MSFS now works, then you will need to find out which of the addons

in your Communty folder was causing the problem.

Trial and error is the only way though.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Don,

if MSFS has created a new and empty Community folder in the same place as your renamed

CommunityX, then that is the only one that it can see.

If, with an empty Community folder, MSFS now works, then you will need to find out which of the addons

in your Communty folder was causing the problem.

Trial and error is the only way though.

Thanks Nick, unfortunately it's bad news, yes MSFS is only seeing the empty Community folder it created, so there is no addons to influence it. This morning I loaded a flight in "safe" mode and all went well, but not so in normal mode, so it can't be an addon causing the problem, not one that I put in the community folder at least, it's empty. I feel like a dog chasing its tail :(. Question...

The sim loads normally, progresses normally, lets me select a destination and an aircraft, then when its about 75% loading the flight, it stalls won't complete the flight/journey loading. So as it is normal up to that point, does that not suggest that something went wrong with the update. If this is a possibility, can/should I reload the update again, if thats possible.   

2 hours ago, pilot100 said:

As Nick says, but BTW please tell me that the aircraft you are trying to start with is a 'default MSFS' a/c and not and add on one.....

It's not a "default" one, but one that I purchased through the market place, which according to all reports should work, as it's not a addon from the community folder.

13 hours ago, pilot100 said:

try the default c150 or something similar, may not be the issue but something else to eliminate.

Just tried the default Cessna 175, but after loading the flight, realised that MSFS had "automatically" loaded in "safe" mode. Shut it down and rebooted it and got the same result "safe" mode. Not sure if there is a setting to change this, never had it happen before, guess I'll go and have a look.  

Think I've reached the end of the line with MSFS. This morning I booted it up and now find it will only load in "safe" mode. Shut it down (ctrl/alt/del ) so I could get the splash screen, which I did, selected "normal" and it still activated "safe" mode. I had a look in the General screen, but couldn't find anything there that related to mode selection, hence this post. I'm not too sure where to find the update, the MS Store I guess, as I think that's the next move as right now I'm getting nowhere. If I can't just re-install the update, then it's the sim full install and go from there. I'll mull this over whilst I'm at the optometrist, wife's dog destroyed my specs:(

Don  

• Sad 1