MSFS Update

wain71

Hello,

so far, not one MSFS update has done anything to the Community folder and there seems to be no case

at all for renaming or moving it.

I had understood that from the outset, it would only be a first step in diagnosing a problem with the simulator,

removing all addons in one go and leaving just the default.

Secondly, in my experience, the downloads are actually slower or less reliable on the second day, as those who

downloaded on the first one try out the changes.

I went ahead and downloaded at 1700 UTC and it went well but later in the evening, presumably when American

customer downloads were at their peak, the game could not maintain its connection to the servers.

Similarly, most of the problems that I have had with performance and frame rates and even CTDs have been at

peak hours, evenings and weekends in the USA.

These days, I just persevere and so far, the simulator has recovered on its own, as a rule, when next used at an off-peak time.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Took 3hr22min for me, and I think I may have a problem with my new rig, I'm not sure if it's related to my previous problem about my graphic card being overclocked etc, which it's not, but that window has popped up about four times in quick succession shutting down my computer, so I haven't been able to load any flights. In frustration, I downloaded the update into my old computer, and so far okay, but my main computer is now a worry, and I have all my gear setup on my new rig. I was hoping Microsoft would have fixed it in the update. :(

Don 

7 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Took 3hr22min for me, and I think I may have a problem with my new rig, I'm not sure if it's related to my previous problem about my graphic card being overclocked etc, which it's not, but that window has popped up about four times in quick succession shutting down my computer, so I haven't been able to load any flights. In frustration, I downloaded the update into my old computer, and so far okay, but my main computer is now a worry, and I have all my gear setup on my new rig. I was hoping Microsoft would have fixed it in the update. :(

Don 

You might want to have a look at a comment I added to Iain's thread

I have a suspicion that it may be a driver related issue and the most recent Nvidia driver 

update (525.86) specifically addresses the issue.

This was also confirmed by John Heaton @John Heaton with the 525.47 driver which was the one just before the 525.86

The latest driver 525.86 is working really nicely on my system.

Cheers 

Pete 

12 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

so far, not one MSFS update has done anything to the Community folder and there seems to be no case

I had understood that from the outset, it would only be a first step in diagnosing a problem with the simulator,

Secondly, in my experience, the downloads are actually slower or less reliable on the second day, as those who

downloaded on the first one try out the changes.

I went ahead and downloaded at 1700 UTC and it went well but later in the evening, presumably when American

customer downloads were at their peak, the game could not maintain its connection to the servers.

Similarly, most of the problems that I have had with performance and frame rates and even CTDs have been at

peak hours, evenings and weekends in the USA.

These days, I just persevere and so far, the simulator has recovered on its own, as a rule, when next used at an off-peak time.

Hi Nick

I completely agree with you on this. In my case as well I have never seen an update corrupt an existing entry in 

the community folder.

However, Asobo has changed the organization of their file structures between updates and I think there is a case that if this happens with an 

update, then an existing community folder entry may not be well liked by the new version.  It can simply not work, or worse case cause a CTD.

Because of this , I tend to remove everything from the community folder.  I use Addons Linker so it is very easy.  I also split up my addons in two and create two 

temporary presets for that split.

Then I do the update and then make a first run just to make sure that all is good with an empty folder. Then I  load the first preset in Addons linker & apply it

and if all is good then I add the second half.

The only time I have ever had a problem was with Henrik's boats and this was in the SU11 beta.  But the purpose of a beta for me is purely to find out if an 

interim update breaks things and it is successful if you find it does, and the developer can then sort it out before the final release.  In the case of the release SU11 all is good.

Cheers

Pete

Hello,

the updates are mandatory.

Every time that MSFS is started, it checks its own integrity on the computer against what should be there.

You can't choose not to update, the simulator will not start until it is up to date.

I can see that this is a very good idea, all kinds of additional problems in detecting and rectifying problems would be 

created if each customer was allowed to choose their simulator version.

As I have said many times before, I am a computer dunce, and also my age doesn't help, things I handled in the past, well, not so good today. Having clarified that, my current rig is WIN 11, my old rig WIN10. I installed UD11 into my old computer as well, a frustration move just to see if I still had the popup problem as with my new rig, no it's all good, as far as I could check at the time - very late night, so far no popups, and no driver update, so I assume, right or wrong that my old computer is okay and we come back to a software/driver issue in my new rig.

Pete, I see you refer to driver 525.86, I see Nvidia has another, 526.47. Has anyone tried this or would I be better to stick with what you guys are using, 525.86? Last night I had this popup four times in a row, I gave up shut it down and went to bed.

Don