A320 landing at NZQN

cyberpilot

It sure is seat of the pants stuff in an A320.

I had a blast above Queenstown in a Pitts special back

in the day. Now that was something to get the heart rate up.

20 minutes full on aerobatics. The pilot kept asking me if I was

okay and I just kept saying just throw everything at it.

That was at least 15 years ago and I still can't get the grin off my face.

Kevin

• Like 2

Hi

I have flown into Queenstown on many occasions but only once did we take this approach.  Interestingly I believe it was the day before the date in the video. 

Also what the video also did not show is the spectacular scenery when you are flying down the lake with the mountains on each side.

On one visit to Quenstown I also did the flight from Quenstown to Milford,  absolutely amazing scenery.

Thanks for the memory,  I wonder when us from Auckland will be able to visit Quenstown again?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rlaycock said:

Hi

I have flown into Queenstown on many occasions but only once did we take this approach.  Interestingly I believe it was the day before the date in the video. 

Also what the video also did not show is the spectacular scenery when you are flying down the lake with the mountains on each side.

On one visit to Quenstown I also did the flight from Quenstown to Milford,  absolutely amazing scenery.

Thanks for the memory,  I wonder when us from Auckland will be able to visit Quenstown again?

I wonder why he did that approach - since the windsock at the end of the runway shows zilch wind - and so why did he not do a straight in 

approach and landing - saving time and Juice ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John Heaton said:

I wonder why he did that approach - since the windsock at the end of the runway shows zilch wind - and so why did he not do a straight in 

Hi

I have no clue but I am extremely glad he/she did (so is my wife) 

Best wishes

Bob

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Thanks for that one cyberpilot.  Now I'm off to go try it in msfs with the A320.

After you do please do the flight from Quenstown to Milford.  Following the lake, then find a path through the mountains.  It always brings a smile to my face.

My wife and daughter also did the flight from Quenstown to Milford with me.  They still try to embarrass me with the story of when the pilot ask who wants to sit up front next to him, I actually  I pushed aside all others to get to the front.   

Best wishes

Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, rlaycock said:

After you do please do the flight from Quenstown to Milford.  Following the lake, then find a path through the mountains.  It always brings a smile to my face.

My wife and daughter also did the flight from Quenstown to Milford with me.  They still try to embarrass me with the story of when the pilot ask who wants to sit up front next to him, I actually  I pushed aside all others to get to the front.   

Best wishes

Bob

Just made that flight.  Loved it, so scenic!

1257983123_MicrosoftFlightSimulator11_6_202110_44_24AM.thumb.png.31f51ebd79c9a6eb0fbfb055642bd660.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 12:55 PM, John Heaton said:

The wind at ground level might be doing something very different to that at 2-3000ft, especially in the mountains

• Upvote 1

One of the best landing videos I've seen -beautifully shot :D Definitely a fair weather approach but excellent operation of such a large aircraft in confined airspace.  Have never been there in real life but the Orbx representation scenery is so good I knew exactly where I was at all times in the video! Largest FS aircraft I have done that approach _ Navajo :lol: