Back to the Pacific coast

Stillwater

As promised at the end of my last flight report, here is an aerial picture of Palm Springs airport.

EQ38J5R.jpg

If you have sharp eyes, you can spot the San Jacinto tramway here. It is a pleasure to land on its platforms with a helicopter, Orbx details at the very finest!

MTh6rlO.jpg

Here we look back at the sandy Palm Springs valley. Not many palms to see, does someone know where the name comes from?

ug0mdCd.jpg

And just as we come over the San Jacinto mountains, sharp eyes can already spot the Pacific.

TKOLAq9.jpg

For those who need assist spotting things in the distance, they have built the San Palomar observatories under the right wing of the King Air.

emOzTnP.jpg

Shortly after we are already descending over the waterfront at Torrey Pines ...

2x7ijRd.jpg

... and into San Diego.

Xt2YF2E.jpg

Quite busy the place, let´s see if we get a parking lot.

WECokyC.jpg

PS: Wooooah, now Imgur shows ads before each upload :angry:! Time to move to another platform - which one do you use?

• Like 7

Thru the years development has taken its toll on a lot of the Palm trees , this link provides a good history: 

https://www.palmsprings.com/history/

My folks use to have a Winter home in this area for years and I would go down in the Summer to check on the place , 

I can attest to the old Indian translation of “boiling water” . 120F will do that . 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 8:20 AM, Iain Emms said:

Great shots these Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

On 8/24/2021 at 8:22 AM, wain71 said:

lovely shots Gerold...

Thanks, Wayne.

On 8/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, BradB said:

Thru the years development has taken its toll on a lot of the Palm trees , this link provides a good history: 

https://www.palmsprings.com/history/

My folks use to have a Winter home in this area for years and I would go down in the Summer to check on the place , 

I can attest to the old Indian translation of “boiling water” . 120F will do that . 

Ah, thank you for the history link, John. 

In that "boiling water" conditions I would prefer some colder liquid made from hops, barley or wheat.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:20 PM, lifejogger said:

Enjoyed the shots Gerold !!!!!!!!!!!

My pleasure, John.

20 hours ago, Bullfox said:

Very Nice!

Thank you!

13 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Your clarity and sharpness in this area continues to impress me - and I have added two more POIs to my todo list, thank you!

Sorry for extending yout todo list. But... that is one of the purposes of this forum. And, much better than getting the todo list filled by she-who-must-be-obeyed!

5 hours ago, adambar said:

Marvelous captures Gerold! :) 

Thank you Adam!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Great captures, Gerold. I use imgur too and so far I have never experienced ads when I upload my screenshots. Have you registered with them or do you use it as an unregistered user?

Currently unregistered, just to avoid maintaining too many passwords. So this might be an idea!