A few screenshots from Testing of MS2020 WU5

renault

Well all I can say  is after what was truly the "update from h..l " which lasted all of 8 hrs. :(, I am impressed with how well MS2020 is working.

It is super, super smooth, both cpu and gpu load are significantly lower than before. Rough numbers at KSBA which I like to use for testing is that CPU 

is much more evened out and my one core which I always thought would "melt" from over work is running at about 85-90% utilization. 

On the GPU side I have gone from about 85% utilization pre WU5 to about 65% utilization after the update.  This is all with everything on Ultra , but with the terrain slider

now set at 200 ( the forests have repopulated :)).  Everything else is the same as before and fps is locked at 30 fps.

There seems to be a mixed reception to this update at the moment, but so far I am pleased with the result.

Just thought my fellow members might be interested.

Cheers

R

0-Flight-Simulator-2021-07-27-21-59-26.j

1-Flight-Simulator-2021-07-27-22-01-52.j

One of the first "niggles" was that in cockpit view , everything was drifting around, without any input.  Fortunately the fix was easy and took all of 5 seconds.

Just make sure that you reset all of the XBox controller zones as there are two extra ones right down at the bottom of the listing. This isn't the first time 

this has happened to me , so I don't think it is unique to WU5

2-Flight-Simulator-2021-07-27-22-00-59.j

There has been a lot of discussion regarding "views snapping"  into place compared with WU4.  This is an optimization that is present in all modern gaming engines

and is designed to save resources (ram/vram) and increase throughput , by not loading image data surrounding your view point until you need it.

All I can say, is that I don't have this issue as far as I can determine. The following two images, were literally taken by just quickly swinging the camera

from straight ahead to a side view and pressing the "v" key as quickly as I could.  I do have very fast low latency RAM in my machine and that may be influencing

the results.

3-Flight-Simulator-2021-07-27-22-05-53.p

4-Flight-Simulator-2021-07-27-22-14-54.j

And considering the load on the MS severs at the moment, I didn't expect this.  Not a "melted" building in sight :)

5-Flight-Simulator-2021-07-27-22-11-36.j

And lastly, we now have particle effects.  True confession time, I must have spent all of 10 minutes just blasting back and forth on this runway,  just 

watching the spray ....:D

6-Flight-Simulator-2021-07-27-22-21-35.j

So that's about it.  YMMV of course , but I hope that at the very least this may be food for thought.  For me personally, its early days, but I am really impressed

with how well everything has come together.  Yes of course there are "glitches" and things that worked before but don't now, but truthfully as with all software they will be

fixed.  But in terms of graphical fidelity and performance I see this as a very big , and positive step in the right direction.

Cheers everyone:)

• Like 6

cheers for that Pete, updating content manager at the moment but hopefully will get to try it out later today, been a long update this time but sounds like it could be worth the wait......I guess it should be expected when PC gets updated and XBOX goes live at the same time......

• Like 1

Very nice report and great images.  The more I compare images from MS 2020 and P3D5.2HF1 it seems to me one big difference is that the lighting seems better in 2020.  I do see occasional view snapping in P3d when the system is really loaded down.

4 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is content manager?

John, in your MSFS Content Manager you have all the stuff that comes with the simulator, like aircraft, free MSFS liveries by Asopbo, POI, country updates etc, etc. It can take quite some time, to update all this stuff, once a newer version of the simulator comes along.

Yesterday I updated my MSFS to the latest build, but haven't flown yet, as I am busy now with updating all the stuff in the Content Manager. The bloody annoying thing is that all the many items in there can only be updated one by one. At least I haven't found a way to update all at one go.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:57 PM, BradB said:

Thanks for your comments Pete , I am all set to fly the new update tomorrow . Spent some time in my 

Content Mgr getting my space used down to 42 GB . 

This one does require a lot of patience , and in my case a sense of humour when it all went south half way through and I had to start again.

Cheers & thanks 

Pete

On 7/28/2021 at 2:11 AM, wain71 said:

cheers for that Pete, updating content manager at the moment but hopefully will get to try it out later today, been a long update this time but sounds like it could be worth the wait......I guess it should be expected when PC gets updated and XBOX goes live at the same time......

Thanks Wayne

And I see that there is the first hotfix coming out tomorrow.  It will be an interesting few weeks I think

Cheers

Pete

On 7/28/2021 at 4:25 AM, Dadtom65 said:

Yes a big old slow update though I had to change drives as well. So thinking my computer will be going all day. Thanks Derek.

I never seem to have great luck with updates Derek. I keep getting the dreaded "looping on big files issue"  which is a pain as when I restart

the sim I always end up having to face a 55.7 GB download  of the main scenery file.

But it does just go through without hiccups when this happens which is a blessing. I almost am on a first name basis with the Zendesk support people

and I have tried everything they have suggested but so far no joy.  Its just how my updates go I guess. 

Cheers

Pete

On 7/28/2021 at 5:42 AM, boetie said:

Thank you Pete! You’ve given me the reassurance I wanted. Will be spending my weekend going through the updates.

Cheers

Graeme :)

It is worth it Graeme.  It does work very well for me here and as I said previously I think there will be fixes coming out for the major  issues with it.

First  one tomorrow apparently.

Cheers

Pete

On 7/28/2021 at 9:09 AM, lifejogger said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is content manager?

I always forget to update this John. I remember when the Japan update came out I flew in Japan and wasn't at all impressed. 

When the next world update came out, I was aware that you had to also go to the content manager  to download specialized scenery content and that

was when I saw the Japan update.  Couldn't believe how excellent it was :rolleyes:

Cheers

Pete

On 7/28/2021 at 1:21 PM, Bullfox said:

Very nice report and great images.  The more I compare images from MS 2020 and P3D5.2HF1 it seems to me one big difference is that the lighting seems better in 2020.  I do see occasional view snapping in P3d when the system is really loaded down.

Thanks . I don't have P3D so I will take your view on that.  From screenshots posted here , it does look pretty good though and certainly the difference

to me seems in the details when compared with MS2020.  

As much as it is frustrating when the internet is bogged down or there is an outage, I really have come to like the scenery streaming process for MS2020. 

With other generation sims, you need a bit of disk real estate to hold all your scenery.  But to be fair , it is always available to you and doesn't depend 

on a web connection for content so it can be a bit of a mixed bag so to speak.

So far I still haven't had any issues with view snapping so fingers crossed on that one.:)

Cheers

Pete