This Week's Meaningless Topic (#43) (July 3)

Hi all. As part of research for my latest novel, I'm flying in Orbx's wonderful Papua New Guinea scenery and visiting their bush strips. At the same time, I'm working with some of the finest low-and-slow planes ever made--military spotter planes. That experience has suggested this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: Aussies love to go Walkabout as a way of clearing the head. If you could go on an aerial walkabout, which of these low-and-slow classics would you choose and where would you go?

1. Piper L-4H 'Grasshopper' | Planes of Fame Air Museum 

L-4 GRASSHOPPER (Piper J3C-65)

POWERPLANT: 65 hp Continental 4-cylinder

RANGE: 225 mi/ 362 m

CEILING: 12,000 ft/3,658 m

CRUISE: 75 mph/121 kph

2.Stinson L-5 Sentinel - National Museum of World War II Aviation 

L-5 STINSON SENTINEL

POWERPLANT: 185 hp Lycoming 6-cylinder

RANGE: 375 mi/604 km

CEILING: 15,800 ft/4,800 m

CRUISE: 105 mph/169 kph

3Taylorcraft J Auster Mk5 - Large Preview - AirTeamImages.com 

TAYLORCRAFT AUSTER 5

POWERPLANT: 130 hp Lycoming 4-cylinder

RANGE: 250 mi/402 km

CEILING: 15,100 ft/4,600 m

CRUISE: 112 mph/180 kph

4. Fieseler Fi 156 Storch - Air Age Store 

Fi-156 FIESELER STORCH

POWERPLANT: 240 hp Argus As-10 8-cylinder

RANGE: 240 mi/390 km

CEILING: 15,090 ft/4,600 m

CRUISE: 81 mph/130kph

5Cessna L19 Bird Dog Taxi Takeoff Landing - YouTube 

O1 CESSNA BIRD DOG

POWERPLANT: 213 hp Continental 6-cylinder

RANGE: 530 mi/850 m

CEILING: 18,500 ft/5,600 m

CRUISE:104 mph/167 kph

• Like 5

Hello @Rodger Pettichord,

I stumbled across your post and it got me thinking about Cessna Bird dog, I am in North East Victoria, Australia, and I fly light aircraft eurofox, 152 etc. There is an airport in NE called YBLA, Benalla and they have one of these aircraft in there flying museum, I have been up in this aircraft with a friend, and for my choice I would pick the Bird Dog.

Short field take offs no problem.

Cheers

Sam

• Like 5

Of the planes you selected, I would have to go with the Bird  Dog. It is at least one generation ahead of the others and its performance is superior to its predecessors. Of any bush aircraft, give me a Pilatus PC-6.

Greg

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Of the planes you selected, I would have to go with the Bird  Dog. It is at least one generation ahead of the others and its performance is superior to its predecessors. Of any bush aircraft, give me a Pilatus PC-6.

Greg

I'm with you on that one, Greg. The reason the PC-6 is not on the list is that it is a step up from the others. The Kodiak, the Beaver, and the Otter are missing for the same reason. 

• Like 4

The Bird Dog because of it's power, ceiling, carrying capability, comfort, maintainability and durability - had the pleasure of being in one a few times.

Where? PNG of course - AYPY then up the Kokoda Trail, over to the Goilala strips then Morobe (Garaina, Wau, Bulolo) refuel at Lae (Nadzab) and head for the highlands or conversely the islands (I could go on forever)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TerribleT said:

The Bird Dog because of it's power, ceiling, carrying capability, comfort, maintainability and durability - had the pleasure of being in one a few times.

Where? PNG of course - AYPY then up the Kokoda Trail, over to the Goilala strips then Morobe (Garaina, Wau, Bulolo) refuel at Lae (Nadzab) and head for the highlands or conversely the islands (I could go on forever)

And I thought my answer was great.:lol:

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

If there are no weight restrictions I'd like to volunteer Hilda on any of the pilots brave enough to let her walk on the wings.:o:rolleyes::D  She is very gentle with the Grizzly bears so there is no fear unless you don't like animals or beer (she likes beer). Oh and yeah she love airplanes too, and beer (did I mention that?). She's great at pulling them out of the hangar and if needed right up the the runway for take off (costs you a lotta beer though well worth it if you chose the right brand:P). Good luck.:D

Aw man. Totally misunderstood. I thought you said: "Walking on the wing". Still sort of standing by Hilda. No choice she's watching me:unsure:. I actually like the Stinson. Low and slow.:D Sorry for the confusion.:unsure:k:D

Edited by flyingleaf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, John York said:

Never heard of the Bird Dog but for me if I was still flying it would be the Cessna 142.  Easy to fly and can land practically anywhere where there are no obstacles.

I have heard of the Bird  Dog but I would also go with the Cessna 142 for the same reasons.

• Like 4

My choice would be the Bird Dog and I would fly to the nearest airport that had a pub. :D  Probably need a designated pilot to get back to the original starting point, or spend the night sacked out on the tarmac. :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1