This Week's Meaningless Topic (#38) (May 29)

Hi all. Here in the USA, this weekend is Memorial Day weekend. On Memorial Day, we Americans honor those who died in service to country. That fact leads to this week's topic -- which actually is not meaningless at all, but rather deeply meaningful.

THIS WEEK'S TOPIC: who do you honor on your nation's equivalent of Memorial Day?

• Like 3

I think of my father, Curtis R Muller, BM2, USCG.  Those who die of the War, don't necessarily die during it.  In the aftermath of WW2, they did not understand PTSD and its lingering effects so when a 27 year old, in seemingly good health, drops dead of a heart attack, they say "oh, well too bad.". But my mom told me that he often woke up at night having nightmares about Leyte Gulf!  And maybe there is more:  I also think of a poor young Marine PFC named Bowling.   Recently a surviving ship mate of my father, obviously haunted by the incident, reached out to me and told me of this.  On a LST in convoy in the S. Pacific, they were attacked by Japanese torpedo bombers.  A nearby ship (a LCI) was hit, exploded, and shrapnel hit poor PVT Bowling in the head.  My father, assisted by the aforementioned ship mate, were detailed to make the burial shroud.  I can only imagine how this affected him, A 21 year old.

2 hours ago, gregmorin said:

2 hours ago, gregmorin said:

My son SGT Matthew Morin.

Greg

My sincere condolences, Greg. Losing a Uncle is very sad.  Losing a Father is even harder.  And a friend.  OND and Rodger, my sincere sympathy. But my heart bleeds for those who lose a child.  

Ken

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Wars seem to an intrinsic part of human DNA.  Their only result is grief and agony, the folks responsible seldom participate and the younger part of each generation is effectively thinned out.  Throughout history each century's wars have wreaked havoc at great cost and what was really gained?  Now too many nations are capable, by throwing some switches, destroying us all and we worry about the climate.    

Edited by olderndirt
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Wars seem to an intrinsic part of human DNA.  Their only result is grief and agony, the folks responsible seldom participate and the younger part of each generation is effectively thinned out.  Throughout history each century's wars have wreaked havoc at great cost and what was really gained?  Now too many nations are capable, by throwing some switches, destroying us all and we worry about the climate.    

Well said, OnD.

9 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Now too many nations are capable, by throwing some switches, destroying us all

Actually it comes down to a very limited number of individuals, be they clever or crazy.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

on November 11th  - Remembrance day and my Grandad -W. Tom Culshaw - and his 3 brothers WW1

He got thro to to the end after starting in 1914 and died 2 weeks after the end on Nov 28th 1918

from his wounds received on Nov 1st 1918

Lest We Forget

Grandad Montage.jpg

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I honour all those who went across the Channel and fought on the D-Day Landings.  Especially those who died.  And not least those forgotten heroes who so bravely fought in Burma and the Far East.  

Trust you Rodger to bring the tears to my eyes!  

• Like 2