On the road again

Stillwater

The Great Ocean Road I mean. Our plane takes off where we landed recently, Tullamarine. Soon after we cross the Orbx headquarter at Essendon, ...

KbCHju9.jpg

... before we pick up some tourists at the CBD hotels.

r4Kx7HD.jpg

The cityscape is P3D at its finest.

RzOKzrm.jpg

Then we follow the road along Port Philip, ...

hl4y1qX.jpg

... Avalon...

JL9Domr.jpg

... and Geelong / Ceres. Can you see the curved runway under the plane? This was the first OZx airstrip I ever attempted to land at, and I will not forget this impression.

qWkH2gc.jpg

Many of the world's most famous surf companies have their home in Torquay, including Rip Curl and Quiksilver- all of which make up part of the Surf Coast Plaza, which provides shopping and eating, as well as the Surf World Museum. This is also the city where the Great Ocean Road officially begins.

q0vWItO.jpg

Anglesea, where Alcoa operated a power station and open-cut coal mine near the town from 1969 until August 2015. The site is now the subject of restorative work.

I6LSxJ9.jpg

The Great Ocean Road was built by approximately 3,000 returned servicemen, keeping them in employment, as a memorial for fellow servicemen who had been killed in World War I. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Ocean_Road

H4LreR6.jpg

Apollo Bay, a good place to make a break - even with a nice OZx airfield.

BiOnm9L.jpg

But we go on along Cape Otway, the secondmost southerly cape of the continent.

CD9hE8S.jpg

The NP is famous for its Koala population.

3wcqGb2.jpg

And the coastline for its natural limestone and sandstone rock formations including Loch Ard Gorge, The Grotto, London Arch (formerly London Bridge) and The Twelve Apostles. I would love to have more details here...

8e9j7La.jpg

Port Campbell, todays destination. By car this would be... in the air we have to find a safe place to land nearby.

2ZMsEzF.jpg

13 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots these Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain - and keep on celebrating your birthday.

12 hours ago, adambar said:

Excellent informative post and shots Gerold! :)

You are welcome Adam.

22 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Great post Gerold.  Great shots and I enjoy your narration, about as close to Australia I will ever get.:)

Thanks John. Just a couple of hours to fly, via LA it would be done in one big hop!

21 hours ago, BradB said:

CBD hotels ....... my kind of place for all of my aches and pains . B):P:lol:   Seriously , I loved the shots and the flight Gerol;d . :):)

I see your preferences in acomodation, John... but I know you enjoy virtual city views as much as so many of us...

17 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Wonderful shots and narrative Gerold. Beers well deserved.:P:D

Good idea, Karl. I did not think of that yet!

17 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Very nice shots Gerold!

I have nice memories of P3D

Thank you Carlos. At least for long-distance flights its value is still there for everyone, not only for late-achievers like me...

14 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Marvelous shots, great aircraft for it, indeed that section of Victoria for coastal attributes is outstanding and so well portrayed in AUv2 and its many upgraded airports as well, as you have mentioned, our beloved OZx

Thanls TT. OZx still is a gem of a project, with so much passion and fascinating results in it.

3 hours ago, renault said:

Absolutely super cool shots Gerold. I really like the 3rd one - the cloud shadowing is fantastic.

It is so cold here this morning that just looking through the sequence made me feel a lot warmer :)

All the best

Pete

And this was even a cloudy spring days flight, by far not the heat of a summer day in the red center...

Archived