Famous Rocks, Famous Falls

Stillwater

Oenpelli airstrip in Arnhem Land seems to be depicted already in Covid mode: the airport is closed.

5tBKy0H.jpg

At least we could head into our trusty Cessna 185 and fly over Ubirr Rock, with its sacred places and famous rock paintings, which are up to 40.000 years old https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubirr .

YQEwIAn.jpg

The major city in Kakadu NP is Jabiru, founded as an Uranium mine and now home of tourist activity.

G8JH6GB.jpg

Nourlangie Rock (hard to spot here) is below us. Again a place with famous rock art and occupied for about 20.000 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nourlangie_Rock 

qTnl1Sp.jpg

We follow Jim Jim Falls (4WD) road west of the rim...

PxLO8Zk.jpg

... and meet the falls and its lake at the road´s end, here shown in dry season.

ayYSKky.jpg

It would be a walk of about one hour to reach Twin Falls.

r8kzHAK.jpg

You can see the path across this picture. The scenery´s vector data are great.

UguhIlZ.jpg

Not too far to go to our next restplace, Cooinda.

owetKq8.jpg

HZNdOO3.jpg

Great journey, Gerold. One day you will have MSFS and then you have to do these GA trips again. I can tell you: what a difference :)

Over the last couple of months I have visited all the places in Australia (and South East Asia) I have been to, in MSFS. Boy oh boy!

Thank you, great shots of my old stamping grounds - was based in Gunbalanya (Oenpelli) for 4 years in the mid-1980s before going into commercial aviation serving Arnhem Land for 8 years from Darwin - things have come a very long way since those days

22 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine shots Gerold.

cheers

Iain

13 hours ago, timmo32 said:

Great shots :)

Thank you Timmo!

6 hours ago, mikee said:

Beautiful shots Gerold :)

Thanks Mikee.

22 hours ago, BradB said:

Probably my favorite plane and livery for P3D , still waiting for it to drop in with MSFS . Anyway enough from memory lane , I enjoyed the shots from your flight Gerold . :):)

Sad to hear this "simple" plane has not found its way into MSFS yet. But I hope it will do soon, I am not willing to lose it when I move to the new kid (at least for VFR flying).

Thanks for the comment!

20 hours ago, lifejogger said:

As Brad said, my favorite plane.

Super shots and flight. Thanks for the narration!!!!!

Thank you for "travelling with me", John!

15 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Great journey, Gerold. One day you will have MSFS and then you have to do these GA trips again. I can tell you: what a difference :)

Over the last couple of months I have visited all the places in Australia (and South East Asia) I have been to, in MSFS. Boy oh boy!

A very interesting comment, Bernd. It might be the way to go, later or sooner... but for now I keep calm and carry on...

15 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots great trip. Very interesting narrative. Thanks Gerold.:)

Thank you Karl. Can you imagine how much one has to drink in the tropical conditions of this flight?

14 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Thank you, great shots of my old stamping grounds - was based in Gunbalanya (Oenpelli) for 4 years in the mid-1980s before going into commercial aviation serving Arnhem Land for 8 years from Darwin - things have come a very long way since those days

Wow TT, that sounds like a frontier adventure. Oenpelli really is at the end of (western) civilization, and serving Arnhem Land even one step further. That must have been memories for a lifetime - may there be material for a book?

4 hours ago, boetie said:

You never fail to impress Gerold. My wife and I are going to have another go at booking a trip to NT, Uluru this winter. Fingers crossed it’ll happen this year.

Cheers

Graeme :)

Thank you Graeme! I´ll keep my fingers crossed for you as well - and for the entire tourism operators. We have done a 3-day-tour with https://www.wayoutback.com.au/ in 2019, and it was a fantastic experience. Unfortunately they currently have a reduced program, with prices increased by about 50%, but I hope they survive and return to their former offers. Have a look for the 4-day red center tour, ideally with their old schedule cross Mereenie Loop.

Archived