London City Scenery Pack FS2020

Guest GripperSim

Guest GripperSim

Hi Guys,

Can someone please tell me why the Landmarks in London City Scenery Pack are from a very old version of Flight Simulator.

Some of the Landmarks are much worse that the standard scenery given in SF2020. 

I'm hoping you will respond before I post my review.

Thanks.

I would like to hear if they're planning to update them too. It's definitely not at the level of quality I'd expect for a paid add-on and it stands out with how bad it looks actually. I appreciate the correct skyline but some of the models are truly straight from 2006.

36 minutes ago, Guest GripperSim said:

Hi Guys,

Can someone please tell me why the Landmarks in London City Scenery Pack are from a very old version of Flight Simulator.

Some of the Landmarks are much worse that the standard scenery given in SF2020. 

I'm hoping you will respond before I post my review.

Thanks.

Hello,

thanks for your question.

Please register on the forums before proceeding.

Thanks.

Well i have to add my 2p's worth here and say the textures are terrible for the London landmarks. Looks like they came out of FS98. Don't even start me on the night time illumination which is way too bright. Compare the textures to the default and the default textures look nice and crisp. The landmarks while nice they are there, seriously need an update in the resolution department. I appreciate they should be viewed from a distance but please don't take us for mugs. Just because it's a new simulator, doesn't mean you can throw any old rubbish at us. Please sort this out with some better textures, you guys are capable of so much more than this.

Thanks for the feedback.

Whilst the POIs are designed to fill in the numerous gaps in the sim and enjoyed when flying, our expectation was not for people to park up close to them like they do at an airport terminal building. 

We will look at improving textures of some main features but need to factor in the performance impact that it will cause. 

In the Alpha I was disappointed at the lack of Photogrammetry scenery for the UK and felt that London was poorly served by the new sim with so many missing POIs.   I was that excited by the Landmark pack and EGLC that I actually purchased those before I'd even installed MSFS2020.  

I for one am really pleased with what Orbx had done here. 

I too was disappointed during Alpha testing ref London Landmarks and hoped each new update to it may of provided a London that looked as good as Seattle for example.

Washington DC was also poorly done like London ref landmarks (I am away at the moment) anyone know if Washington looks good with all landmarks present in the release version of MSFS 2020?

3 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Whilst the POIs are designed to fill in the numerous gaps in the sim and enjoyed when flying, our expectation was not for people to park up close to them like they do at an airport terminal building. 

We will look at improving textures of some main features but need to factor in the performance impact that it will cause. 

I can live with the lower textures (since I don’t plan on parking next to them), but the main thing I am hoping for is more realistic night textures.  Basically, I’m just hoping they will become a little bit less bright.  Thanks for listening to us.

Cheers

46 minutes ago, KORDATC said:

I can live with the lower textures (since I don’t plan on parking next to them), but the main thing I am hoping for is more realistic night textures.  Basically, I’m just hoping they will become a little bit less bright.  Thanks for listening to us.

Cheers

Yep, that's being toned now as well for an update.

That's all i'm asking for at least. I've bought most of your catalogue on P3D and have been very happy with the products i've bought, never considered a refund. This is the first time i've encountered what for me is textures that aren't up to your usual standard in one of your products. I'm pleased you guys are looking into it, look forward to the update.

9 hours ago, Crom UK said:

In the Alpha I was disappointed at the lack of Photogrammetry scenery for the UK and felt that London was poorly served by the new sim with so many missing POIs.   I was that excited by the Landmark pack and EGLC that I actually purchased those before I'd even installed MSFS2020.  

I for one am really pleased with what Orbx had done here. 

I ws very pleased too. Central London is infinitely better to fly around. Not only are the well known landmarks there but they've modelled at least 3 office buildings I've worked in! There are also skyscrapers in the pack that aren't actually built yet in real life, in Docklands and the City. Future proofing I guess?

I agree about the default scenery. Maybe it's because the game is so beautiful and rich that when you fly over recognisible places like Crystal Palace Park you really notice the giant antenna isn't there, and you're disappointed Brighton looks like a big industrial park because the scenery generator can't cope with older, more ornate styles of buildings. I hope this is just a start and that Orbx considers doing more of the country.

Can we have Wembley Stadium added to the pack please? Flew E out of Northolt and found the flat splat texture where Wembley should be rather than a stadium. The arch is an iconic part of the skyline and sorely missed. And if traffic would cross bridges rather than drive through the river under them, that would be great :)

20 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Thanks for the feedback.

The vanila scenery is of a certain standard & you are selling a product that looks way below this standard. If i'm honest it's put me off purchasing 3rd party addons altogether. 

15 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Yep, that's being toned now as well for an update.

Hi Ed,

I really do not understand your response. I came looking for answers to why you are selling this product when it actually is horrible compare to the default Microsoft scenery. I am new to flight sims and from other reviews thought Orbx was a premium vendor. OMG now I just want to uninstall this really bad add-on, don't even care about the money, in fact I would pay to not have it.... please tell the truth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyZw39ZiX8

21 hours ago, Ed Correia said:

Thanks for the feedback.

While I appreciate that this is new territory for developers and some areas are much more recognizable, claiming some kind of performance impact when the default scenery is so much more detailed, both in geometry and texture work... It is just not very credible. 

You guys should be striving for higher detail while maintaining good performance, not worse detail than stock because you are worried about performance. That is not a reasonable explanation for including FS2004 levels of geometry and texture work in a 2020 addon.

Just saw Grippersim's video, and simply cannot believe what I am seeing.  The texturing quality and resolution is staggeringly poor.   This is literally paying to downgrade the visual quality of the core MSFS product.

Literally, flabbergasted that this has been released in this state!

London landmarks is dreadful. Obviously been rushed out. Why they couldn't just include the buildings that are not in the default sim rather than replacing higher quality objects like Tower Bridge, The Tower Of London, Westminster etc. is utterly beyond me. It is most unlike Orbx as I love their stuff but this is inexcusable!! Please advise how to refund this purchase.

I bought this and have just gone for a flight over london to admire my new purchase and... seriously, what has gone on here.

This is absolutely terrible, why even bother replacing great assets with this, huge downgrades.

I literally signed up here to show my disgust, how would I go about getting a refund?
I just deleted the files from my content folder, just to get back to back to the year 2020.

Can Orbex simply not remove their version of the buildings that have better textures/models in the original, like for example tower bridge. removing these and posting as an update would then solve all the problems. leaving the original models, which appear to be to a better standard and adding  the Orbex ones to make the London Skyline look a lot better than games version.

The pack does add a better feel to the London skyline, Canary wharf and the Docklands are a big improvement as is Buckingham palace over the AI generated Buildings . But Why add some building that do not match the default models?

Yes, even this would be better.  Why put it there just because.. if its a downgrade, don't include it.  Adding or refining missing / poor content, with better quality, yeah sure, that is what I thought I was paying for.

29 minutes ago, David Rogers said:

Just saw Grippersim's video, and simply cannot believe what I am seeing.  The texturing quality and resolution is staggeringly poor.   This is literally paying to downgrade the visual quality of the core MSFS product.

Literally, flabbergasted that this has been released in this state!

I have to agree. I was looking forward to this addon more than anything else in the Marketplace. I love London. And I hate what you have done to it. The real shame is that if Orbx had simply taken the time to rip out their models of POI that Asobo had spent time on, there wouldn't be nearly as much to complain about. I mean Buckingham Palace looks dreadful, but it is an improvement over the default. If only just. It appears that there are only minor issues with Orbx's other MSFS releases, but this one needs to be addressed in a big way. If Orbx releases a 1.1 that has Buckingham Palace looking like something out of Grand Theft Auto 3... They may not get another chance to make a first impression on all us new simmers.

Please, Orbx. Take this matter seriously. This really is your new flagship product on the most important platform you will ever develop for. It needs to be a showcase even if it drops FPS.

I purchased Landmarks London because I thought it would “fill the gap on incomplete photogrammetry” (as per the description on the product page).

I did not expect Orbx to downgrade Flight Simulator 2020’s existing beautiful highly detailed landmarks by replacing them with low-res poor quality versions.

EDIT: I just saw Ed Correia’s reply in another thread where he advised “...we will remove our versions of default POIs from our pack in an upcoming update“. That is excellent news.

Archived