I see no ships!

VH-KDK

Skagway is on the Taiya Inlet, Alaska.

With a population of just over 1100, it relies on the over one million visitors from the many cruise liners that call here every year.

1.zTQYVlL.jpg

Now it is May and the dock should have the liners berthed here but with the Wuhan Virus it is eerily empty.

2.aMECsh6.jpg

Better days last September, hoping that this damned virus can soon disappear and everything can return to some sense of normality.

Thinking too of all the communities that rely on the tourist trade that has vanished.

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

hoping that this damned virus can soon disappear and everything can return to some sense of normality.

Ah, that would be so great. But I fear this will take some time.

Let us keep our fingers crossed we all get out of this period in good health.

2 hours ago, rick66 said:

An amazing place... Sad to watch the global tourism suffer, and the locals hit harder. Hopefully it will bounce back soon.  

thanks for sharing Martyn.. Great shots

Cheers Rick 

I loved Skagway along with Haines, an incredibly picturesque area. A shame I was only there for a few hours.

It must be so hard on these people and I hope they are all there to continue when this has passed.

The only plus is that virtually all the souvenirs are made in China these days so hopefully their industries will suffer too.

35 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Ah, that would be so great. But I fear this will take some time.

Let us keep our fingers crossed we all get out of this period in good health.

That is the main thing, with our age the trouble and I are slightly concerned.

2 hours ago, Neptune6 said:

I like the second .. ! very nice simulator ... :P

We are getting to the stage where it will need a keen eye to determine if a sim screenshot is from a sim or the real world! Already non flight simmers see a screenshot from, say, X-Plane 11, and with enhanced scenery available, think it's the real world.

15 hours ago, orbmoke said:

We are getting to the stage where it will need a keen eye to determine if a sim screenshot is from a sim or the real world! Already non flight simmers see a screenshot from, say, X-Plane 11, and with enhanced scenery available, think it's the real world.

Very true, we are so lucky to have Orbx producing these excellent sceneries.:)

10 hours ago, JohnnyJohnJohn said:

For some reason, when I think of "cruise"  I just don't think of Alaska!

I never thought I would ever go on a cruise but Alaska is the only place I would consider and I was in the planning stage of my next visit there when the Wuhan Virus put paid to it.

Never mind, it is miniscule compared to what suffering so many unfortunate people are going through at the moment.:angry:

On 5/22/2020 at 2:46 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice Martyn.  This can’t last forever, I mean they made it through the Spanish Flu didn’t they?  Optimism my friend!

I am very optimistic Jack but first we have to beat the floored and corrupt "scientists, experts and you know who!";)

Archived