NZWR in P3Dv5 - my first shot

Adam Banks

p3dv5-nzwr-a2a-spitfire-01-1350.jpg?dl=1

Here's the A2A Spitfire in P3Dv5 - cruising over Whangarei (NZWR). I'm really struggling with the "new" lighting model: it's as if there's a huge amount of bloom added at certain camera angles - even with HDR bloom set to 0. Terrain shadowing looks odd too.

Orbx scenery transfer from my old P3Dv4 library went without a hitch (well done, Orbx!) - just waiting for my favourite area ... NZMF!!

All in all, I have to say that I'm very *underwhelmed* by P3Dv5 ... but that's probably not on topic here (!!).

Adam.

1 minute ago, patful said:

A2A's P-51, Spit, and P-40 all have an odd reflection on their canopies at certain angles in P3D4, but it looks blue in this one. Still a nice shot!

That blue canopy has been a major annoyance for years (!!). The problem I'm having is that the whole scene seems to get very bleached out at certain angles - and tweaking the HDR brightness down just over-darkens all the shadows.

Adam, I don't know if you are using the enhanced atmospherics or not. I debate using them, though interesting, I feel the colors are a bit more vivid without the enhanced atmospherics on. I have wound up more with just the default on. We'll see what happens when the folks at Envshade and others show up.

2 hours ago, Lee H said:

Adam, I don't know if you are using the enhanced atmospherics or not. I debate using them, though interesting, I feel the colors are a bit more vivid without the enhanced atmospherics on. I have wound up more with just the default on. We'll see what happens when the folks at Envshade and others show up.

I tried with and without. "With" used yet more precious VRAM but the result was the same .. pretty YUK! :-(

Here's one that I could have produced better in FS9:
p3dv5-nzwr-sierra-03-1350.jpg?dl=1

Sure ... my old P3Dv4.5 (R.I.P.) had REX, PTA etc. ... but this???

9 hours ago, Adam Banks said:

That blue canopy has been a major annoyance for years (!!). The problem I'm having is that the whole scene seems to get very bleached out at certain angles - and tweaking the HDR brightness down just over-darkens all the shadows.

I've been using the 'Enhanced Atmosphere" & adjusting some of the primary colors via the 3 sliders. Bloom tweaking makes a difference as regards turning fluorescent green to a more realistic green.

I'm also finding vertical surfaces such as hangar sides are unnaturally dark.

However lilac Cook Strait water at sunset is overdone - Need something where the palette can be worked over with more finesse. Presume that's where PTA comes in?

I haven't unticked the Enhanced Atmosphere yet because I can't get AS or Rex SF to inject any clouds & weather into it.

They both balk. AS got excited then said v5 was blocking it. 

Anyway, when v5 versions of the AS & Rex SF come out & some PTA, maybe we will get  at least colors as good as your v4.5 results.

Meant to be an HF next week.

BTW, have you flown out of any tree lined GA airports & noticed an effect akin to 'puffs of smoke', or, ghosting among the tree tops, when your below the tree tops?

Seems to ease off once v5 warms up & can't see them after take off.

Almost as if the tree tops [& ridges sometime], are having difficulty standing out against background cloud or sky.

TTM

38 minutes ago, cyberpilot said:

Take the plunge and jump across to XP11 Adam.

I have and it's so much better!

Interested in your views a I have P3D & XP & swap back & forth.

Are you talking about just the the Orbx TE areas in the USA & UK.? They re excellent  but outside of them I have found the stock scenery average at best.

If you are into ortho, then that is a different situation.

The other -ves of current XP I find is the lack of seasons, weather engines  & fewer aircraft to fly cf P3D.

Are you using Vulkan & if so what enhancement has it delivered?

TTM

2 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Interested in your views a I have P3D & XP & swap back & forth.

Are you talking about just the the Orbx TE areas in the USA & UK.? They re excellent  but outside of them I have found the stock scenery average at best.

If you are into ortho, then that is a different situation.

The other -ves of current XP I find is the lack of seasons, weather engines  & fewer aircraft to fly cf P3D.

Are you using Vulkan & if so what enhancement has it delivered?

TTM

No, I'm not using Vulkan although there is a beta available.

I agree that without Orbx TE XP11 scenery is fairly bland but not nearly as bad as vanilla P3D.

However with ortho (and there's plenty of it freely available) XP11 is fantastic - the lighting and flight dynamics are excellent, especially with addons such as XVision, UltraWeather XP and ASXP.

Not surprisingly I fly a lot in NZ which has some fantastic freeware ortho that I think will be the equal of anything in the upcoming MSFS.

Yes, there are fewer aircraft to fly but there's still a good selection of machines that are the equal of the best available in P3D.

IMHO the way forward is XP11 and MSFS.

9 hours ago, cyberpilot said:

Take the plunge and jump across to XP11 Adam.

I have and it's so much better!

Hi Rod (!!) ... I've had XP11 on my system for a while now - and love it ... especially the lighting. Apart from the latest batch of freebies, the only add-on aircraft I've been buying have been for XP. I simply cannot afford the $500-$800NZ required to beef up my (admittedly old) system just so I can run P3Dv5 - when my GTX970 runs every other sim (or game) with GFX sliders pretty well maxed out.  For me at least, this may be the final nail in the P3D coffin. MSFS 2022 boldly claims that it will run [even] on a GTX970 - but I'll believe that when I see it, LOL!

I'll miss my A2A and PMDG aircraft the most, I think. There are some pretty good aircraft for XP, but nothing beats my A2A Spitfire, C172 or B737NGX!

Adam.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 9:15 AM, Adam Banks said:

Here's one that I could have produced better in FS9:
[...]

Sure ... my old P3Dv4.5 (R.I.P.) had REX, PTA etc. ... but this???

Hmm, sometimes the important part lies behind the obvious. In this case: just check your FPS and think about what you would have got in v4.5 (or FS9 at this time back then). There will be things coming to v5 like REX, PTA and others. And I doubt doing the exact same angle at the exact same position in v4.5 would look any better.

2 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

No comment on the second one.:rollmyeyes:

W-H-A-T? I was going to enter it in the screencomp ... NOT! :ph34r::lol:

3 hours ago, AnkH said:

And I doubt doing the exact same angle at the exact same position in v4.5 would look any better.

I've taken dozens of pics in exactly that same spot in P3Dv4.5 and I assure you they're 500% better. Just look at any of my gazillion NZ shots I've posted here over the months (sorry, folks O0). Sadly (as I can no longer squeeze 4.5 back onto the same HD I can't prove you wrong!

Also - I can't even start to run v5 without nearly all my sliders taken back at least two settings. I simply run out of VRAM. What good is a decent frame rate if the whole sim looks like pooh? :footmouth:

Adam.

Yes, I understand your frustration. But what do you expect from a graphics card that is now 5.5 years old and offers only 3.5GB of usable VRAM? I mean, when was it the last time the case that you could run a ESP based simulator with reasonable results on such old hardware? We have been extremely spoilt the last few years and "thanks" to the fact that all those "novel" versions of P3D still based on the same 10-y old engine made that possible. Back in the days FSX appeared, you would have had a slideshow when trying to run FSX with a 5-6y old computer..

15 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Yes, I understand your frustration. But what do you expect from a graphics card that is now 5.5 years old and offers only 3.5GB of usable VRAM?

Agreed ... sort of ... except that this "ancient" card is happy to display P3Dv4.5 with all sliders pretty well maxed out. I see MSFS 2022 is said to run OK with a mere (OLD) GTX970 ... but I have to say, I'll believe that when I see it LOL.

Hardware in NZ is stupendously overpriced - so I get rather tired of people (mainly from larger, better connected countries) saying "just throw more hardware at it". $800 NZD (or more) just to run an update of an existing sim is a bit steep, considering all my other games/sims run fine. My feeling is that over my many years of simming (starting from the very first), the mantra of expecting consumers to simply buy more hardware is just a cover for sloppy programming. You should read what Ian Bell and David Braben achieved in with Elite 1984 ... with just 32Kb of RAM.

Archived