Slowly working my way back down

Stillwater

Getting ready in Hammerfest. A remote place, but so well modeled here!

cq6SrSD.jpg

Just look at these huts next to the sloped runway...

W9T0da9.jpg

A last view of the city...

L2bqwVH.jpg

... and it´s out of sight.

qFldzKK.jpg

Next alternate: Hasvik.

WVVtfZV.jpg

A nice little detail is the Fakken windfarm. Seems to be at the end of the world...

JRZg9su.jpg

Tromsö. Nearly a metropolis!

Ni2r1aV.jpg

Bardufoss seems to be an easier-to-land airport...

yiVVHot.jpg

But if you descend next to the Setermoen mountains...

CWHIWWS.jpg

... to approach into Narvik, ...

A5z8nFX.jpg

... you may cross the city as slow as you like:

vvUSbIk.jpg

As soon as the ATC assigns you to land on runway 01, you´ll have a bad landing nearly guaranteed, due to the mountains in the approach.

xYDJ7rO.jpg

At least virtually it works, don´t ask how.

k3VAxm4.jpg

2 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

These are very nice Gerold. Great winter caps. I did this flight the other way around a few days ago. In summer that is.

Thank you Ben. I knew you were cheating with the season... :D

7 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Beautiful, Gerold. Winter finally since we didn't have so much of it here this year. A big thank you because you gave me an inspiration. B)

That´s it lars: I needed some winter, at least virtually. Plus: My pleasure to give you some ideas ;)!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - so cold and low light but marvelous shots none the less! 

I picked up Hammerfest in the recent sale and did virtually a similar flight in the Alabeo PA31-350 a couple of days ago - very interesting as I have NO RL very cold weather flying experience and have not tried it in the sim before with RW Weather and Orbx's fantastic snow and ice renditions - only done summertime before. 

Very different operational technique required so I appreciate your piloting skill in this regard!

20 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - so cold and low light but marvelous shots none the less! 

I picked up Hammerfest in the recent sale and did virtually a similar flight in the Alabeo PA31-350 a couple of days ago - very interesting as I have NO RL very cold weather flying experience and have not tried it in the sim before with RW Weather and Orbx's fantastic snow and ice renditions - only done summertime before. 

Very different operational technique required so I appreciate your piloting skill in this regard!

Hahaha, thank you so much for the comment, TT. Yes, it does look cold - a scenery so brilliantly done. Of a place only few of us will ever travel to.

Heating up the engines is one task up here, getting visibility the next. And these mountains...

18 hours ago, adambar said:

Very nice set of quality shots Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam!

17 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Another nice winter trip Gerold. It's flash flooding here yet again.

Same here Jack. It is raining since weeks - at least with occasional sun. All depends on how lucky you are with the timing...

14 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Fine set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

11 hours ago, jankees said:

beautiful shots!

Thanks Jankees.

7 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Super shots Gerold!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have never flown in Norway, thanks for posting these.

Oh, you should do John! The nordic version of the fjordland, just bigger & colder.

7 hours ago, schtroumf said:

Great series of a great cold paradise region8)

Thank you mate!

15 minutes ago, jean marc said:

A very pleasant winter flight Thanks Gerold ... And to come back you could fly over the the wonderful Lofoten Islands B)

Merci Jean Marc. You will not believe which route I chose for the next flight... :D

Archived