Shop 'till something drops

VH-KDK

8 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Nice shot Martyn. Not sure the shopping centre is well placed after that guy ploughed into it some months back. Killed a couple of American golfing guys. Don't remember all the details.

Don

Thanks Don, that was the lucky miss for the centre although sadly not lucky for the 5 on the Beech 200.

It happened 3 years ago now, doesn't time pass quickly.

On 2/8/2020 at 5:20 AM, lifejogger said:

Nice shots Martyn, looks like a good place to watch planes landing and taking off.

Thank you John, I have ever visited Essendon but the shopping centre does look a great place for close up views of the planes.

Saw a video of one of 'Everts Air' DC6's out of PAFA - landing at Candle, AK.  Had to be for some mining outfit so they had the runway info but nobody mentioned the 4 ft piles of rocks at the approach end.  The pilot, going for a short field approach, hit those and carried away at least one gear trunnion.  The plane ended in a ditch facing the wrong way - nobody hurt but the lawyers are busy. 

8 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Saw a video of one of 'Everts Air' DC6's out of PAFA - landing at Candle, AK.  Had to be for some mining outfit so they had the runway info but nobody mentioned the 4 ft piles of rocks at the approach end.  The pilot, going for a short field approach, hit those and carried away at least one gear trunnion.  The plane ended in a ditch facing the wrong way - nobody hurt but the lawyers are busy. 

Damn, damn, damn, glad everyone was safe though. Talk about a close up video of the incident but I imagine that is the end of that beautiful old plane!:(

2 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Damn, damn, damn, glad everyone was safe though. Talk about a close up video of the incident but I imagine that is the end of that beautiful old plane!:(

Haven't heard how bad it was hurt.  I'm sure the props have all got 'funny' tips and at least one main gear assembly was chasing them down the runway but this outfit is in the flying business.  If the FAA goes along, they'll get a ferry permit to patch it on site and fly back to Fairbanks for complete repair.

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

Haven't heard how bad it was hurt.  I'm sure the props have all got 'funny' tips and at least one main gear assembly was chasing them down the runway but this outfit is in the flying business.  If the FAA goes along, they'll get a ferry permit to patch it on site and fly back to Fairbanks for complete repair.

Well let's hope that happens. Sounds like they have a make do and mend policy, doubt if there are many, if any DC-6s on the market these days.

When I flew out of Fairbanks in September I was on the wrong side of the plane to see Everts base which appears on GE to be crammed with old prop liners in various conditions.

Archived