The Bridge

VH-KDK

Passing over the Juneau-Douglas Bridge or J.D.Bridge which spans the Gastineau Channel.

The bridge was opened in 1980 whilst the previous bridge opened in 1935 was demolished one year later.

1.Qg5ikD8.jpg

2.Qad1aHs.jpg

Heading back to land at 5Z1 and taken from a Turbo Otter, the bridge connects Douglas Island with West Juneau. It has a span of 620 ft  and in the spring Dolly Varden proliferate under the bridge..

1 minute ago, flyingleaf said:

Great shots Martyn. Would love to see Alaska. What was your favorite part? 

Thank you, a great place to visit Karl.

Hard to chose my favourite part, it was all just mind blowing to me.

I really enjoyed Mount McKinley and the Denali NP but the cruise was also just magic.:)

2 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Thank you, a great place to visit Karl.

Hard to chose my favourite part, it was all just mind blowing to me.

I really enjoyed Mount McKinley and the Denali NP but the cruise was also just magic.:)

Once it was Mt McKinley but the Ohio senator died and it was finally named what it should have been all along - Denali.

3 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Cheers Jack, it is a member of the Salmon family.:)

Ah, I thought it was a typo and was enjoying some wonderful mental images of Dolly Parton frolicking under the bridge. A bunch of fish is not the same, you know <grin>

(nice shots from your ever fascinating tour, too)

Needless to say: Great shots, both.

18 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

taken from a Turbo Otter

... wow, I see you have also spent some time in the more expensive way of flying! Fantastic.

17 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks,  I have heard both names on my travels.;)

The same is true for my travel: Uluru and Ayers Rock are used in the same frequency.

11 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Ah, I thought it was a typo and was enjoying some wonderful mental images of Dolly Parton frolicking under the bridge. A bunch of fish is not the same, you know <grin>

(nice shots from your ever fascinating tour, too)

I don't think there would be room enough for her to get under the bridge although she would never have any fear of sinking in the water.:huh:

From what I hear she is a good swimmer!:lol:

6 hours ago, olderndirt said:

A species of trout found in Alaska's cold waters - further north they're named 'Arctic Char'.

Is it true that when hunting the shoals of these fish, when they came to the surface for air, the fisherman used to shout, "char she blows!":wacko:

6 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Goes well in a haggis then? :P

Only if they have been left out in the summer sun for a few weeks to get that certain pungent odour!;):-:-[

When even the bears and flies avoid it then you know it is ready.:huh::ph34r::lol:

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Well done, Martyn.

I like sim and real life pictures combined for comparising.

I had to look it up, because I never heard about it......

Cheers Fred

Thank you Fred, I too learn a lot by flying to different places on the sim.:huh:

22 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Needless to say: Great shots, both.

... wow, I see you have also spent some time in the more expensive way of flying! Fantastic.

The same is true for my travel: Uluru and Ayers Rock are used in the same frequency.

Thank you Gerold.

Very scenic too. I have  never been on a Turbo Otter before as well as my first sea plane flights.

I have always known it as Ayres Rock and The Olgas so I stick to my history, lucky we have a choice.:)

25 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

Be more of a dessert haggis - perhaps a white chocolate frosting (icing) on top of a layer of marzipan. :rolleyes:

A dessert haggis, now that has possibilities.

It sounds very tasty but I hate to think what Gordon Ramsey would have to say about it.

I don't think it could be repeated on here though!

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

A dessert haggis, now that has possibilities.

It sounds very tasty but I hate to think what Gordon Ramsey would have to say about it.

I don't think it could be repeated on here though!

Gordon Ramsey - a light hitter compared to the "Galloping Gourmet".  That wild and woolly Scot/Kiwi/Aussie, Graham Kerr - still with us at 85.

2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Gordon Ramsey - a light hitter compared to the "Galloping Gourmet".  That wild and woolly Scot/Kiwi/Aussie, Graham Kerr - still with us at 85.

I remember the "Galloping Gourmet" but I didn't realise he was like that.

Tv must have been tamer in those days or my memory better, I cant remember though.:wacko:

Archived