I'm claiming a record

Aussieflyer38

Last night I loaded up YBCG - Gold Coast. Nothing else running on my computer except my sim.

It SAT AT 6% FOR 10MIN 29SEC THEN FINISHED AT 11 MIN 35 SEC, THEN I HAD TO WAIT ANOTHER 78 SEC for the airport cache to load. In that time I went and had a coffee with the wife, did the dishes and fed the dog and cat, I was supposed to be flying. 

Today, YBBN streaked home - (sat at) 6% in 5 min40 sec, complete 7 min 35sec. 

So much for AU2, I've had nothing but trouble since installing it. 

Goodbye AUv2, hello AUv1 

Don

What equipment  do you run  for such long wait?  I know that Gold Coast  Sceneries  + YBCG take a bit memory  and  running FSX it's not as  good than P3D. I personally did  not see any difference    running Aus v2

he's running a reasonable  comp- but with PD3RD

The long time @ 6% - would indicate that if he was from across the ditch and forgot to

update to hot spot 1 which was supposed to defeat his problem

Nowt to do with AV2 mate - its pd3r - but I have to admit with a computer -  almost identical - it doesn't take me that long

even in TE Britain South

"Did the dishes" -  indeed - what is the world coming top??

But then again - maybe that's one of the reasons I have added X Plane 11 to my library- 

30 secs splash screen - full load to runway threshold - 3  mins including Full Britain TE scenery.

15 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

he's running a reasonable  comp- but with PD3RD

Nowt to do with AV2 mate - its pd3r - but I have to admit with a computer -  almost identical - it doesn't take me that long

even in TE Britain South

"Did the dishes" -  indeed - what is the world coming top??

But then again - maybe that's one of the reasons I have added X Plane 11 to my library- 

30 secs splash screen - full load to runway threshold - 3  mins including Full Britain TE scenery.

Hi John,

The long time @ 6% - would indicate that if he was from across the ditch and forgot to

Not sure what you mean  by this. I thought the update to v4.5 was supposed to fix this, but didn't with me. Can you assist with this - info.

Don

Hi Don. I’m the same with P3Dv4 with the loading times that is and that is because the sim is on an ordinary hard drive. The only way to improve it is to put the sim on an Ssd drive. This is why I also am using Xplane now more than P3Dv4 and that’s on a normal hard drive. Derek.

Hello Don.

The more that there is in a scenery library, the longer it will take to initially load the simulator.

This is why many people choose to use a utility such as the Scenery Config Editor, Simstarter

or the Lorby utility to reduce the demand to just the parts of the world where they intend to fly.

This is an across the board "problem" and nothing to do with Australia v2, Orbx or indeed any

other developer.

The 6% problem seems to remain and how long it lasts is also inextricably linked to how much

scenery has to be loaded and what type of scenery that is.

I think I could knock your record claim into a cocked hat, I have a scenery.cfg file with 1580 entries,

including 1.55 TB of photo scenery and I have yet to see either FSX or P3D v4 finish loading it.

It's not for use, it is for creating a database for Little NavMap and attempts to load it have only

been the result of accidentally leaving it in place.

The answer is to manage your scenery collection and also accept that some areas of great detail

will take much longer to load than others.

Don, besides the classical "6 % break to finish your homework" I have similar loading time issues with the recent CityScapes in Barcelona and Gold Coast. I keep them deactivated whenever i can. When I fly there I allow half an hour to load...

2 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Hi John,

Not sure what you mean  by this. I thought the update to v4.5 was supposed to fix this, but didn't with me. Can you assist with this - info.

Don

There are actually  Hot Fix files out. Hot Fix 1 and Hot Fix 2.

Howard

4 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Hi John,

Don

Don

the ditch bit was supposed to be a little joke - but it went thro' to the wicket keeper.

As stratocruiser just said - they brought out a hot spot to install/add to .5  - to get rid of the 6% problem - around 3 months ago.

and a new hotspot last week - for what reason I don't know - I left it alone whilst I play with XPLANE11

13 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Don

the ditch bit was supposed to be a little joke - but it went thro' to the wicket keeper.

As stratocruiser just said - they brought out a hot spot to install/add to .5  - to get rid of the 6% problem - around 3 months ago.

and a new hotspot last week - for what reason I don't know - I left it alone whilst I play with XPLANE11

:D

20 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Don. I’m the same with P3Dv4 with the loading times that is and that is because the sim is on an ordinary hard drive. The only way to improve it is to put the sim on an Ssd drive. This is why I also am using Xplane now more than P3Dv4 and that’s on a normal hard drive. Derek.

Hi mate, my main HD for my sim is a SSD, and I've just done the two hotfixes by LM, nothing changed.

18 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Don, besides the classical "6 % break to finish your homework" I have similar loading time issues with the recent CityScapes in Barcelona and Gold Coast. I keep them deactivated whenever i can. When I fly there I allow half an hour to load...

Yep looks like I'm going to have to live with it. Strange thing is YBCG only took about 3 minutes to load. Other airports like YBBN are also taking a lot longer. 

20 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Don.

The more that there is in a scenery library, the longer it will take to initially load the simulator.

This is why many people choose to use a utility such as the Scenery Config Editor, Simstarter

or the Lorby utility to reduce the demand to just the parts of the world where they intend to fly.

This is an across the board "problem" and nothing to do with Australia v2, Orbx or indeed any

other developer.

The 6% problem seems to remain and how long it lasts is also inextricably linked to how much

scenery has to be loaded and what type of scenery that is.

I think I could knock your record claim into a cocked hat, I have a scenery.cfg file with 1580 entries,

including 1.55 TB of photo scenery and I have yet to see either FSX or P3D v4 finish loading it.

It's not for use, it is for creating a database for Little NavMap and attempts to load it have only

been the result of accidentally leaving it in place.

The answer is to manage your scenery collection and also accept that some areas of great detail

will take much longer to load than others.

Thanks for the info NIck, I came to the conclusion that the density (?) of the scenery was the reason for the slow loading, but couldn't understand why it was worse in AUv2 than v1. Also some of the guys here don't have the problem - more powerful machines? Something I also found interesting was if I flew somewhere in OZ and then at the end of the flight, decided to fly from YBCG it loaded in half the time.  

I think I could knock your record claim into a cocked hat, I have a scenery.cfg file with 1580 entries, etc

Now you're boasting:lol:

Don

I'm new to ORBX, about a week now, and still finding my way around. I am also experiencing the load pause at 6% and at 71%, although not long enough walk the dogs. I had put it down to my fairly low spec system but I am interested to learn that it ain't necessarily so and of the Hot Fix 1& 2. Could someone explain the concept and how to access the fixes please?  I'm not sure that it would impact the issue with my current system but it will good stuff to know.

20 minutes ago, daveyg073 said:

I'm new to ORBX, about a week now, and still finding my way around. I am also experiencing the load pause at 6% and at 71%, although not long enough walk the dogs. I had put it down to my fairly low spec system but I am interested to learn that it ain't necessarily so and of the Hot Fix 1& 2. Could someone explain the concept and how to access the fixes please?  I'm not sure that it would impact the issue with my current system but it will good stuff to know.

21 minutes ago, daveyg073 said:

G'day mate, if you haven't had a welcome - welcome :smile:. you need to log on to your account with LM that's where you'll find the "Hotfix 1&2. Don't expect too much though, it works for some but not others. As Nick explained to me, if the files are relatively large/dense, you'll just have to live with the long load times. I found today that if I load an airport, then want to fly  somewhere else, like YBCG, the load time was reduced from 11min 30sec, to just under 8 minutes, don't know how that works, but any improvement is a good one, I'll take it.

Don

I used to have a 15 minute load-up time with another developer's EGLC and TE GB South before v4.5 HF1 was released.
Since then, it's been a more manageable 6.5 mins.

Aus v2 hasn't caused me any problems, but then I don't run Gold Coast CityScene.
Aus v2 + YSCB + Cityscape Canberra takes 4 minutes.

Reducing the amount of active scenery in scenery.cfg and / or add-on.xml helps a lot. It's not the cure, but it makes a big difference.

I think we are definitely starting to realize the fundamental issue here....

I have concluded after testing that since filling a 50 gallon drum with water using a coffee cup seems to take  considerably longer than using

a fire hose that we have at least figured it out.....now we must wait for the software gurus to work around the laws of physics and

rid us of this annoyance.

I'm going back to FS 9....…..

6 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

G'day mate, if you haven't had a welcome - welcome :smile:. you need to log on to your account with LM that's where you'll find the "Hotfix 1&2. Don't expect too much though, it works for some but not others. As Nick explained to me, if the files are relatively large/dense, you'll just have to live with the long load times. I found today that if I load an airport, then want to fly  somewhere else, like YBCG, the load time was reduced from 11min 30sec, to just under 8 minutes, don't know how that works, but any improvement is a good one, I'll take it.

Don

Thank you Don.  As an FSX user I guess that I'll be one of those that don't reap the benefits then :(.  However, more information for the memory bank.

I don't think that the problem is solely related to Data loading times - but also the quality of what you get when finally loaded

- in either PD3  ( 7 mins) - or XP 11(4 mins)

I recently switched to XP11 from PD3 - mainly to get Britain TE Package on special @ Orbx. Since the I have struggled to get 

even the same quality as I got on TE Souths slideshow on PD3

Ok - maybe I don't have the super computer that some of you have - but my spec is as close as dammit to the recommended 

as preferable by XP11 ---  I5 - 9600 - 3.90 (u/c) - latest 1050TI - 16 DDR4 - 2 TB HDD 7200.rpm

Is the problem that Orbx considered  the mid range computers - that were top stuff 2/3 years ago - when they set out the development 

process - or were they planning for the future market - that now occurs. Sometimes it seems even the best of what some of you have

isn't good enough - ie TE south London area problems that filled this forum 2 months ago.

I want to spend time flying - not tweaking to get - what I thought I should be getting - and "comments" by J.V. - whose computer also - isn't the bee's knees!

- seems to expect some tweaking to get even close to what the software can give without spending $5000 to get the spec that seems to be required 

to keep the sliders/Data at the right end of the graph - and give quick loading - and flicker free flying.

Makes one think more of what might be on the horizon from developers

P.S - XP 11 loads to splash screen in 1 min - and to fully load my "mid way sliders" - Britain TE +Piper Arrow A/c - at the above comp spec - in 4 mins tops

My P3D v4.5 splash screen loads in 1min 25 sec, so I don't have a problem with that, I think it's okay

I fly in other countries not ORBX software and fairly detailed scenery that loads in a reasonable time 1 to 2 mins, and no black squares. I have also found that if I fly out of airports outside of AU2 I have less problems and glitches. Like you I want to spend my time flying, not tweaking and fixing things and reading  the forum posts trying to sort out these problems and the frustrations they cause. 

I have quite a bit of scenery for Asia, Europe and the U.S that I am now flying quite a lot, and getting a lot of pleasure from, and I don't have any problems with time loading the files, and the quality and detail suits me fine. Naturally I'm disappointed that  some OZ scenery doesn't work for me, but ay my age I want to enjoy my flying for however many years I have left, and not be concerned about...………….stupid software faults.

Don  

Another thing I notice is that after I shut down P3D but do not turn off my computer I can come back to P3D later and the load time is about half as long as it is if I had turned off the computer and then re started the computer then started P3D. It's like the computer keeps the scenery loaded somehow in memory until you turn off the computer.

Archived