Off to visit a dear old friend ....

renault

Bit of background. Back "in the day" I had FSX with PNW Blue and my acquaintance with Walter Sutton began around 2010 . It was my first Orbx airport and I loved it.

So here's a little bit of whimsy with the updated version. 

Thanks very much for stopping by as always

Cheers 

R

A very long time ago, I had the wonderful privilege to make the acquaintance of Mr. Walter Sutton. Walter, to put it mildly is a bit of a character. 

I was just starting out in the industry and my job was with Microsoft Corporation out of Seattle, and I worked with a relatively small group known as the FSX gang.

In fact, the Orbx corporation, (a company that used our products) made a rather neat little video about old Walt as we called him. It was in 2012 but, I'd imagine that Walt hasn't changed all that much over the years.

I'm really looking forward to going out to see him again.

Glad you are coming along. I enjoy having someone to chat with, and knowing Walt, he'll be glad to meet you and will make you feel right at home.

Its a beautiful day for a flight isn't it. I really like this part of the world ....

WTfE7D9.jpg

He can be a bit tricky to find ... So much from up here looks the same

KayvtZ4.jpg

Ah, there we are .... straight ahead. It looks pretty much the same, but still different as well, if you know what I mean.

9o5ikm8.jpg

Yep, just as I thought. There's Walt. We'll just give him a bit of a wave with the wings to let him know its us. He's expecting us. I phoned him last night....

BYAzxJH.jpg

So its all business for us now. It's not hard to land here, but you got to keep your wits about you. That looks like two of his grandkids down there. He told me they come to spend
summers with him. They're twins and the last time I saw them they were "knee high to a grasshopper" as they say.

There's a bit of a story with that old grader down there. Walt one it in a pub bet. It had a burnt out clutch when he got it, so I expect its never been used much. But the old pickup he traded for it, he had pulled the motor out the day before he went to the pub , so he still thinks he got the better end of the deal!

lWPJpPg.jpg

Now those two folks are his neighbors Ben & Jerry. Made an absolute fortune selling ice cream, but they're both bachelors and well they disagree a bit.

He says they love one another dearly, but when it comes to farming according to Walt if one says too wet  the other will spend the entire day arguing its too dry. Who knows what the squabble is about this time!

yJ990hZ.jpg

We're almost down. You know this strip is in excellent condition. Maybe he has the grader working after all.

sVfit66.jpg

z6UNFs5.jpg

1eha3Rp.jpg

Lets just swing around here and stop up by the old hanger. I don't think Walt uses it much anymore ... From what I'm told he's kinda given up flying now ...

wgAufDZ.jpg

It looks pretty empty though and gosh, I've never seen it so tidy ....

bPF3T7Z.jpg

We'll just leave it here and pop round to the front of the house to visit with Walt. i though I saw him out on the front porch

Best we leave the doors open. It gets pretty hot here in the summer and who wants to get back into a hot cabin, if they don't need to.

oUIa6m0.jpg

f3FBLXq.jpg

How you doing there Walt. It's so nice to see you. This here is my friend Jack. Just came along for company and to see the sights on the way

vXxuy7H.jpg

Yep, it is a sweet little ride sir, it really is. No, I'm not with the FSX gang anymore, now with a outfit called Laminar Research - XPlane division. You know the Cessna I flew back in the day when I first met you, was underpowered, it stuttered and paused a lot, and I swear at times, it seemed time stood still and just got all blurry. I know it impossible Walt, but its true!

This one - gosh. 8 cylinders under the hood, Turbo Charged no less, engine's by a company called Intel ,  lots of electronic wizardry . The call it state of the art they do. Well it seems to be reliable but my word is it smooth. You just float through space in it. No hiccups, stutters or nothing. I'd be glad to take you up for a spin in a while if you like.

Jack there's some nice cold sodas in the ice bucket here, so pull up a spot and tell me all about yourself .....

And the story will continue ....

7 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand set of shots indeed.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain!

Appreciate it 

Cheers Sir:)

Pete

7 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Oh renault what a fantastic story you tell and pictures to boot. After that I have to buy it now. Thanks Derek.

Thanks Derek

I am very pleased you enjoyed it. 

Its worth it - a wonderful scenery and it blends so well into TE :)

Cheers & thank you. I appreciate you commenting

Pete

5 hours ago, BobT said:

Just fabulous!

Thanks Bob!

Cheers

Pete

3 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Super flight, enjoyed it and the screenies.

Thanks very much John

I am happy you enjoyed it. Its a great little area and the attention to detail in the scenery is wonderful

Cheers

Pete

58 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Pretty cool shots and story Pete, but one nitpick and I made be wrong but isn't Ben & Jerry's in New Hampshire or Vermont?

"So here's a little bit of whimsy with the updated version.  …….". Totally fictitious , humorous little story with a healthy dose of artistic license applied ….

R

29 minutes ago, paddler said:

Wow, very nicely done.

Thanks!

Appreciate you commenting 

Cheers

R

On 9/28/2019 at 5:59 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Renault, you made my day. Beautiful set of pictures, great narrative, and sweet tribute to friendship. If it's not entirely true, it should be. Thanks so much!

On 9/28/2019 at 6:07 PM, Rob Abernathy said:

That made my day Pete!  :D   Personally it's always been my favorite along side Stark's Twin Oaks.  So much atmosphere and Walt keeps the apple cider nice n cold.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:32 PM, olderndirt said:

How much "Highland Park" did that take? :D 

On 9/28/2019 at 7:34 PM, flyingleaf said:

Awesome shot and story. Walt is one heck of a guy.:)

Thank you all very much. I appreciate the comments and I am really pleased that you enjoyed the tale of "Walt" .

In answer to the "HP" question, 1 dram , 2 rocks. , well.... maybe a wee one at the end too!

Cheers 

Pete

Archived