The case of the mysterious missing airport

Jack Sawyer

P3D 4.5

Orbx Global, LYBE, Europe LC, Trees, Buildings. etc.

AS4 weather

PMDG 737

I set up a nice flight from LYBE, Nikola Tesla to Istanbul's LTFM.

Then I flew it, there were Navigraph SID's and STAR's and approaches so I thought all was well.

Coming into the area the VOR wouldn't tune.  So I went into P3D's Map mode and lo and behold no airport with this name.

Continued right up to where the airport was supposed to be but all there was was a field.

To say I was irritated would be an understatement.  :wacko:  At least Tesla Airport looks fantastic.

D6dbJxS.jpg

Unqudsq.jpg

2SY5is1.jpg

NnvH5R6.jpg

TmUVm76.jpg

FuF18wi.jpg

oyvTn6w.jpg

reswI8S.jpg

PKQDaMn.jpg

ojKnD3G.jpg

aZZNBv6.jpg

2Va1hj2.jpg

9IHmrDu.jpg

bGXaczQ.jpg

7zjOe6K.jpg

a51iNFp.jpg

22 minutes ago, flyingleaf said:

Beautiful shots Jack. Lovely scenery. The missing airport could be a case for Sherlock Holmes:ph34r:.

Thanks Karl, that's what I figured, if Sherlock Holmes can't find it then it can't be found.  I wonder if Mr. Moriety had anything to do with it?

Just now, Stillwater said:

Great shots of Belgrad again, Jack.

Initially I thought you would fly your Janet to Area 51, but the new Istanbul airport provided enough camouflage as well.

Have you tried the Bosporus bridges instead ;D?

Thanks Gerold.  Haven't tried them yet, no sir.

1 minute ago, BradB said:

It might be Jack that this airport just opened up a few months ago , maybe you have outdated Nav data . Anyway the shots looked great as always .

Cheers

John

I don't know.  I shut down the sim.  Next time I run it I'm going to type in P3D's destination window and see what happens.  Thanks by the way.

Dear Jack.

If you install an updated version of your navigation data, you will be able to

navigate to all the airports in that database.

Unfortunately, if the real world airport is newer than the P3D database, something

that is not uncommon, given the age of that database and you have not spotted this and

availed yourself of an addon, then when you arrive, there will indeed be nothing there.

Yours sincerely, S. Holmes.

37 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Dear Jack.

If you install an updated version of your navigation data, you will be able to

navigate to all the airports in that database.

Unfortunately, if the real world airport is newer than the P3D database, something

that is not uncommon, given the age of that database and you have not spotted this and

availed yourself of an addon, then when you arrive, there will indeed be nothing there.

Yours sincerely, S. Holmes.

Hi Nick Holmes :ph34r:.  I have Navigraph updated at all times.  So it did show in the FMC’s database.  But I should have looked in P3D’s airport list, gonna do this later today.

Many thanks Mr. Holmes, good sleuthing . :):ph34r:

3 minutes ago, renault said:

I once faithfully followed my GPS  looking for a golf course  in a city that I was visiting for the first time. It took me to a Walmart Distribution Center:)

Nice pics!

Thanks R.  Ha, that’s a hoot, I reckon you could have landed in a chopper and did some shopping.

24 minutes ago, renault said:

I once faithfully followed my GPS  looking for a golf course  in a city that I was visiting for the first time. It took me to a Walmart Distribution Center:)

Nice pics!

As Ronald Regan said so eloquently - Trust but Verify :

Cheers

John

Fantastic shots Jack

Really loved them

The LTFM airport is really brand new

There is a developer creating it, this developer creates lots of Turkish airports in outstanding quality for free but LTFM will be at cost

Cheers

Carlos

39 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Fantastic shots Jack

Really loved them

The LTFM airport is really brand new

There is a developer creating it, this developer creates lots of Turkish airports in outstanding quality for free but LTFM will be at cost

Cheers

Carlos

Thanks Carlos, I have only a few non-Orbx airports and no freeware.  I always prefer Orbx stuff for some reason. :)

Archived