Top Gun 2020

bernd1151

They did some filming here at NAS Whidbey Island for a couple weeks this spring. 

All the production trailers were parked in the Officer's Club parking lot, but I also saw occasional "filming location" direction signs posted, pointing down toward the flight line.

Never saw any cast members or actual filming taking place though.

Sorry guys, but as strange as it sound, and even if it was just a movie, when it came out, the original one, I was finishing my PPL. So it's a lot of good memories for me.

I will go see it anyway B)

There may be some good flying scenes. The first few minutes of the first one, on the carrier, were great. The rest of the movie was painfully bad, a 12 year olds vision of the US Navy.

9 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

On a computer screen, you can fly anything.

You simply substitute the PAUSE button for the ejection handles.   

It's amazingly more comfortable as well.    

:ph34r:

....and you can sip a cup of tea while canyon flying and inverted.;)

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

I never thought about that. Maybe I'll get out of my 747 and try an F-35. I just hope Martin-Baker has made the seat more comfortable than it was in the F-14..........................

Don't they still make seat pack chutes?

I had some time in the original F-80 "Shooting Stars" in 1955. Seat packs all the way.

First ride I settled in , cranked up the J-33 (original with disintegrating compressor buckets) and closed the canopy, which promptly hit the back of helmet and pinned me to the front windshield frame. The seat barely adjusted down enough so I could fly without bending forward.  (much).

You can't make  these things up...………..:rolleyes:

On 7/21/2019 at 8:49 AM, Neil said:

There may be some good flying scenes. The first few minutes of the first one, on the carrier, were great. The rest of the movie was painfully bad, a 12 year olds vision of the US Navy.

Got it out on Sat night for the sake of nostalgia.  Yep, wound up the volume for the beginning, then just had it on in the background.  It’s not aged well.  But the three year old got a kick out of the jets making noise and going fast.

10 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

I had some time in the original F-80 "Shooting Stars" in 1955.

i always like your comments, Lawrence

can you share with us any other planes you flew?

Wikipedia is so handy to research the aircraft history for a new sim flyer like me...

Best regards,

craig

australia

OK...………….

Piper PA-18, T-6G, B25, Grumman Sa-16 (air rescue) , C-47, C54, Martin 202,  F-80A, T-33, F-100,  Cessna Fac Grasshopper L20, Cessna Fac Skymaster   (Vietnam)

Retired from USAF  in 1974 .

Retired from Lockheed Martin in 2000.

Current position is collecting checks from everybody.

Happily...……… :D

4 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

OK...………….

Piper PA-18, T-6G, B25, Grumman Sa-16 (air rescue) , C-47, C54, Martin 202,  F-80A, T-33, F-100,  Cessna Fac Grasshopper L20, Cessna Fac Skymaster   (Vietnam)

A wide and nice  spectrum of aircraft ! I wish we had a T-33 or a T80 in P3D. Pity that A2A gave up their project on the former since we still have former pilots alive to help. Alphasim had a T-80 many moons ago which was a little better than their usual fare. Nothing since.

Have you flown the Milviz F100 ?

There are a couple o freebee F-80s out there that are native FSX and work  in P3dV4.5. 

just google a2a fsx f-80 . Only one that works , though. I won't advertise here.

Same with the T-33. I ...nothing 64 bit.

If you can find any freebees that state native, some will work.

I have yet to experience any simulator aircraft that actually flies like a real one.

I use freebees , being a cheapskate.

It's my Scotch heritage, I guess.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:15 PM, W2DR said:

No offense intended sir, but Tom's a little long in the tooth to convince me he's still flying an F/A 18 Super Hornet.....

At 55 y.o. he was still doing stunts in Mission Impossible - Fallout that most under 30s won't do even for the money he earns!

He even broke his ankle while jumping between two-high rise buildings in London...

So I won't be surprised to see him in a fighter jet at 56 :) 

Archived