OpenLC Asia

dominique

I know, I know, beating a dead horse here. Anyway, there is an interesting post by a Chinese fellow simmer at the big A. He says :

I tweeted about the new MSFS trailer in Weibo (Chinese twitter). It got 780000 readings and 360 retweets: https://www.weibo.com/1687198333/Hyr1WrTc0 I saw overwhelming enthusiasm from the general public, who are mostly non-simmers. It dawned on me those are the ones that MS is targeting, but it does not mean we simmers will be left behind.

Shouldn't the common wisdom that says  there is no customer base for Flight Simulation in Asia be revisited ?

3 minutes ago, dominique said:

I know, I know, beating a dead horse here. Anyway, there is an interesting post by a Chinese fellow simmer at the big A. He says :

I tweeted about the new MSFS trailer in Weibo (Chinese twitter). It got 780000 readings and 360 retweets: https://www.weibo.com/1687198333/Hyr1WrTc0 I saw overwhelming enthusiasm from the general public, who are mostly non-simmers. It dawned on me those are the ones that MS is targeting, but it does not mean we simmers will be left behind.

Shouldn't the common wisdom that says  there is no customer base for Flight Simulation in Asia be revisited ?

Personally, I think it’s too early to make any judgement on which direction to take in regards to shifting focus of addons or updating ones roadmap. I say this because Microsoft did state it will be a simulator... so it might well be made for simmers but with the general public in mind not the other way around. But like I said too early to revisit, refocus or update any plans with the limited information we have. 

1 hour ago, Ridvan Celik said:

Personally, I think it’s too early to make any judgement on which direction to take in regards to shifting focus of addons or updating ones roadmap. I say this because Microsoft did state it will be a simulator... so it might well be made for simmers but with the general public in mind not the other way around. But like I said too early to revisit, refocus or update any plans with the limited information we have. 

I basically agree with what you say Ridvan but that was not my point. Sorry not to be clear enough. OpenLC Asia was announced many years ago  but the release delayed year after year because there is supposedly no market base in Asia for FS.  Maybe "times they are a changin' '" ? 

3 hours ago, dominique said:

No, I don't think so.

There are likely to be many flight simmers in Asia and probably have been for a long time. The problem is the language barrier (a lot of Asian languages are based on their own characters) and there's also unlikely to be any exposure of a small Western business to the vast majority of those Asian simmers.
The lack of products and support only in English will deter a lot of potential customers.

To better describe the issue, how many people outside of France buy a certain developer's products for that country? Despite French being a common language, the support forums being available only in French will prevent a wider uptake of their offerings.
I think it would be the same for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, etc. simmers despite English being the World's lingua franca.

That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy seeing Orbx taking on more of Asia. If American Samoa and Papua New Guinea can work, then so can the World's most populous continent!

2 minutes ago, F737NG said:

I was mainly reflecting on what John V said some time back : limited customer base, piracy.  

You are, of course, right in what you say about the langage barrier. And wrong at the same time. The language is a real barrier but It doesn't prevent Orbx to sell their good products everywhere in Europe where English is not so much widely understood by the common man (France being a good example but you could say that of GE or IT too). What is interesting in  OrbX story is that it has spanned its teams over several continents and has devs of at least 6 nationalities . Why not Asia ?

In any case. Things change !  For the better. I was personally delighted to see a Chinese on the Avsim forum.

I believe that there are two significant factors here:

1. Many of those interested in aviation/simming probably have a greater English language fluency that the average person throughout Asia
  2. Many of those worldwide with fluent English are already interested in seeing more airport sceneries developed for Asian cities and supported by ATC frequently.

So my preference would be for greater marketing efforts in the major Asian languages by the scenery, sim and VATSIM communities.:)

Personally I don't see why the interest for OpenLC regions should really depend that much on a potential customer living there.

Those people unhappy around here with the OpenLC line taking so much longer to complete than expected don't seem to be exactly those people who live in those regions. People want to fly there in the sim, regardless where they live in real life. So the whole focus on theories around the size of the Asian market audience is way off in my opinion.

We want to fly in Asia while enjoying the Orbx treatment. The same for Africa. We don't live there and probably we don't intend to move there. We want to explore the globe in all its Orbx beauty. Unfortunately Orbx changed focus on some other stuff and therefore OpenLC gets delayed. They'll have their reasons. What I can't believe is that an OpenLC Africa or OpenLC Asia gets delayed because there are only so few customers  in those continents.

I guess the calculation is that there (currently) are more people willing to "upgrade" a more regional flight environment which they are used to and happy with, with the invention of TE, than there are people waiting to conduct global flights into "exotic" areas. There simply are different types of flight sim enjoyment. And the "global expeditions" segment, which loves to use the sim as an Earth simulator to visit far away places, probably makes only the minority.

Let's hope for OpenLC Africa eventually releasing soon and for Orbx still intending to add OpenLC Asia sometime in the future.

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

To better describe the issue, how many people outside of France buy a certain developer's products for that country? Despite French being a common language, the support forums being available only in French will prevent a wider uptake of their offerings.
I think it would be the same for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, etc. simmers despite English being the World's lingua franca.

Don't forget about auto-translation either. Although I generally use Firefox online, I use Chrome to access that vendor's website with auto-translate on and the results are more than adequate. Being a typical Brit, my French might just about buy me a couple of beers. Or possibly a couple of hatstands - I may need to brush up a bit <grin>

1 hour ago, dominique said:

You are, of course, right in what you say about the langage barrier. And wrong at the same time. The language is a real barrier but It doesn't prevent Orbx to sell their good products everywhere in Europe where English is not so much widely understood by the common man (France being a good example but you could say that of GE or IT too). What is interesting in  OrbX story is that it has spanned its teams over several continents and has devs of at least 6 nationalities . Why not Asia ?

Easier for a member of a German, French, Italian, Spanish language forum to come across an English language-based developer than for someone on an Asian-based forum. Having briefly lived in bilingual Hong Kong, I can tell you that the points of reference on the internet there are vastly different from any North American or European experience. How many people here know that WeChat, Weibo, Alibaba and Taobao are the equivalents of WhatsApp, Twitter, Amazon and eBay?
Now imagine if you have a support issue that needs resolving in a very different language.

It's certainly not impossible, but a concerted effort is needed by developers to 'get their names out there' among an Asian audience.

55 minutes ago, Rongor said:

Personally I don't see why the interest for OpenLC regions should really depend that much on a potential customer living there.

Customers living in a region drives up the overall sales, rather than being just reliant on relatively few interested simmers from all around the globe.
Why do you think the USA and Western Europe dominate the scenery market?
It makes them a lot less risky ventures and much more likely to be profitable.

55 minutes ago, Rongor said:

Let's hope for OpenLC Africa eventually releasing soon and for Orbx still intending to add OpenLC Asia sometime in the future.

Me too!

1 hour ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

So my preference would be for greater marketing efforts in the major Asian languages by the scenery, sim and VATSIM communities.:)

That can only be beneficial to us all who want to see expansion into new areas. Though it appears to be a cost that most developers don't want to bear at the moment.

53 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Don't forget about auto-translation either. Although I generally use Firefox online, I use Chrome to access that vendor's website with auto-translate on and the results are more than adequate. Being a typical Brit, my French might just about buy me a couple of beers. Or possibly a couple of hatstands - I may need to brush up a bit <grin>

Auto-translation is fine for western languages, but starts to have real problems with languages such as Russian, Chinese and Japanese.
If you ever look on large forums, some of the translations into English are very difficult to understand because local ways of describing things are too literally translated/mis-translated.

Deux portmanteaux et puis Orbx Afrique et Orbx Asie s.v.p. :lol: 

34 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Deux portmanteaux et puis Orbx Afrique et Orbx Asie s.v.p. :lol: 

Hey, some of the English from the English speakers leave me wondering sometimes <grin>

But I take your point.

Good moaning, and I'll have what he's having!

Just now, F737NG said:

Easier for a member of a German, French, Italian, Spanish language forum to come across an English language-based developer than for someone on an Asian-based forum. Having briefly lived in bilingual Hong Kong, I can tell you that the points of reference on the internet there are vastly different from any North American or European experience. How many people here know that WeChat, Weibo, Alibaba and Taobao are the equivalents of WhatsApp, Twitter, Amazon and eBay?
Now imagine if you have a support issue that needs resolving in a very different language.

I've helped people set up their business in China, out of Beijing. That was admittedly before the Internet craze but I know that the language barrier   can be overcome. Biases are the real problem and most of the time on the Western side (not only but mostly). Biases which often are an excuse for a shyness of sort. 

But Rongor had a very good point. I am not Chinese but I'd love to fly with OrbX in China or Indochina (where I lived too) or in India (where I lived too) .  I do with Global and Vector. But it could be better, couldn't it be ? 

A good conversation folks, thanks for contributing.

It could simply be lack of enough source data to cover most of it to Orbx's satisfaction...  some of those nations are "Suspicious" (to quote Pooh Bear on bees, rather than delve into geo-politics) and might not be willing to give it up.  I doubt it's a lack of desire as such.  Orbx's friends at Flightbeam may have a similar conundrum, where a poll has a request for an Asian airport comfortably ahead of the rest (not that Africa or Sth. Am. were on the list).

Mike

It would be great just to get a simple update on the way forward with OLC products. I initially went for ORBX products many years ago based on their "world vision" at that time. And that seemed to "die a sudden death". I mean OLC Africa was advertised once again on May 10th this year (in conjunction with Australia V2 announcement) to be in beta in "2 weeks". We are now entering July and not a word. If only the customers could be informed as to the progress then there would be no speculation or unfounded rumours going around the various forums. I believe Africa (and Asia for that matter) have huge potential for the developers. The other well known areas are becoming "saturated". It just takes one company to take the lead and they will have a major head start. I'm personally not interested in scenery "patches" of various areas around the world. I'm more into "Global" products (have just purchased HD Buildings) as I believe they offer more to every "flight simmer" around the world as opposed to groups of the population who may reside in particular areas of developer interest.

Regards.

1 hour ago, Peter Webber said:

It would be great just to get a simple update on the way forward with OLC products. I initially went for ORBX products many years ago based on their "world vision" at that time. And that seemed to "die a sudden death". I mean OLC Africa was advertised once again on May 10th this year (in conjunction with Australia V2 announcement) to be in beta in "2 weeks". We are now entering July and not a word. If only the customers could be informed as to the progress then there would be no speculation or unfounded rumours going around the various forums. I believe Africa (and Asia for that matter) have huge potential for the developers. The other well known areas are becoming "saturated". It just takes one company to take the lead and they will have a major head start. I'm personally not interested in scenery "patches" of various areas around the world. I'm more into "Global" products (have just purchased HD Buildings) as I believe they offer more to every "flight simmer" around the world as opposed to groups of the population who may reside in particular areas of developer interest.

Regards.

Thanks Peter. The modest user that I am  (only 50-odd OrbX sceneries on my account :)) liked OrbX two-leg vision : improving VFR flying in some regions (fat regions), enhancing large swathes of land elsewhere (Global, Vector, OpenLC). Do we see some limping on one leg now ? HD Buildings is a good omen but what about the OpenLCs ?

I don't think we can assume that, just because most customers are in the USA/Western Europe/Australia, that those are the only regions with interest for sceneries. OTOH, Orbx surely has customer interest data and use it for their development decisions.

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

Hi,

I'm from Europe and have a great interest in Open LC Asia.

I really hope OrbX will make it sometimes in the (near?) future.

I second that - strongly!

Hate to be negative about this but I'll be really surprised if ORBX develops openLC Asia for FSX/P3D.  It has been 2 years since the release of openLC South America, so I'm expecting openLC Asia to take at least that long. 

With the announcement of MSFS 2020 releasing next year, ORBX has to make a risky business decision: should they develop openLC Asia for FSX/P3D and hope that enough folks purchase it to at least recoup the development costs?  If MSFS 2020 turns out to be a really good flight simulator, then openLC and likely other types of scenery products will quickly become obsolete and very few simmers will buy any of it as they will have already switched to the new sim or will be planning to soon.

Personally, I don't plan on switching to the new sim for at least 6 months to a year after its release, so I'll continue to be an FSX:SE user for another 2+ years, but if it takes ORBX 2 years to finish openLC Asia then even I won't buy it as I'll be switching to the new simulator.

Dave

20 minutes ago, dave302 said:

Hi Dave

You are not negative, you make a good point. This thread needs some contradiction :).

At that time, would you agree with me that nobody can say anything about how much FS20 wil impact the scenery addon market ? I personally suspect that we will not see all over the world what the MS trailer shows us for a few landmarks and that people like OrbX will still be very much in the game. For FS20 or for a P3D which  could be still a sim of reference if MS closes FS20 as it did for Flight.

For instance we may have Tokyo and the Fuji with alll the fluff but what about the Sulawesi archipelago, Nepal, Laos, Irian Jaya or Sri Lanka  ? I just don't know but I doubt it. And I I fly these places.

John V recently said that OrbX stays on track. As simmers, we say to him that we look forward to the OpenLC Asia he announced few years ago.  

Yes, I go pretty much with what Dominique said. Also I am not sure we can be so certain that really everybody will jump on the FS2020 train of streaming ortho scenery.

Just think of the requirements. Repeatedly we have threads around, where people suffer from rather slow internet. They may not deem streaming high res scenery the best solution. Then there is the quality of the ortho scenery. Reportedly there are and will be huge differences in the actuality and quality of imagery. If people fly over their home area or a nice airport or whatever, but instead in the sim they see a construction site at the place or some blurry low-res grounds, an "artificial" scenery (as we have it now), peppered with a bit of our imagination, might be the better way into immersion. The same for mesh terrain and buildings. Have you seen the Chicago skyline in the announcement trailer? It's clearly visible that several (all?) buildings are no objects but part of the mesh. So in fact there are no objects but the skyline is appearing by interpreting SRTM or alike data. Not everybody will want to rely on that for beautiful cities, let alone stream that all the time and face all the empty flat gaps in the world.

16 hours ago, dave302 said:

I'll continue to be an FSX:SE

May I remaind you how long it took to Prepar3d to become "dominant" despite the low cost of switch to 64bits version (no extra cost for scenery, only few very complex aircrafts have been charged for the conversion).

I really doubt that the cost to switch to FS2020 will kill other simulators business...It is only since this year that we see some developers abandon FSX.

Gérard

I hope some of you guys are right and that ORBX does go ahead and make openLC Asia. 

Here's the thing, though: it's probably going to take 2 years, and that's simply too long.  Have you guys taken a look at Bing Maps aerial imagery?  It's really good and very high resolution, even in remote locations.  I've zoomed in on remote villages in Africa and South America and can see individual huts and buildings.  If this is what MSFS 2020 will be using then landclass scenery will quickly become old, obsolete technology.

If ORBX speeds up development a bit and releases openLC Asia by next Summer then I'll buy it.  Otherwise I'll be happy to save my money and wait a little longer for MSFS 2020.

By the way, I think it likely that ORBX will still have a role to play with the new sim, perhaps making airports, POIs, autogen, textures, etc.

Dave

10 hours ago, dave302 said:

I've zoomed in on remote villages in Africa and South America and can see individual huts and buildings.  If this is what MSFS 2020 will be using then landclass scenery will quickly become old, obsolete technology.

That would be a copernician leap if the sim would simulate even remote areas forsaken by most simmers and developers.  I'd love that very much. It would get us out of that infernal cybernetic loop :  no simmer> no developer and no developer> no simmer, the OrbX PNG sceneries being a notable and welcome exception. OpenLC Africa also, if it is released.

In the long run will LC become obsolete ?  Yes indeed and already is somewhat.  But and it is a big but ( "but" with one t only  ;)) a 200 Gb à la TrueEarth would  take 4 days and nights of continuous download to arrive onto my computer and if streaming can be a solution to that (I think it is)  they'd better optimize it.

On 7/5/2019 at 10:48 PM, dave302 said:

Here's the thing, though: it's probably going to take 2 years, and that's simply too long.  Have you guys taken a look at Bing Maps aerial imagery?  It's really good and very high resolution, even in remote locations.  I've zoomed in on remote villages in Africa and South America and can see individual huts and buildings.  If this is what MSFS 2020 will be using then landclass scenery will quickly become old, obsolete technology.

I remember that about 15 years ago, the German flightsim magazine FlightXPress speculated about the future of flightsimming and that we would be soon using technology based on Google Earth to have the perfect simulation of the earth where anyone would be able to find his own house accurately represented. The result would be a photo-earth with very few objects in it. A lot like FS 2002, perhaps.

The question is, why has this not yet arrived? Because using satellite imagery (aka photoreal scenery) comes at a high data cost and doesn't yield consistently convincing results. Think of the aircraft you can see parked on the aprons of the world's airports and cars on the roads. These are non-static objects that you have to hand-edit out of material. That's why Orbx invented the TE series, which is based on satellite or aerial imagery, but manually processed to give us the stunning results it does. After all, buildings and trees have to be handplaced to the appropriate locations. Well, maybe an algorithm is invented that does that for you, but still, these aren't perfect and would require hand-editing. You don't have this problems with landclass sceneries that consist of repeating tiles, which make them look less real, but also much easier to produce.

Honestly LC is convenient, space efficient and enough for me for regions I do not know well enough to differentiate with ortho scenery. 

And I will buy openLC Africa and would buy openLC Asia. Full price, day one. 

On 6/29/2019 at 3:02 PM, Rongor said:

Those people unhappy around here with the OpenLC line taking so much longer to complete than expected don't seem to be exactly those people who live in those regions. People want to fly there in the sim, regardless where they live in real life. So the whole focus on theories around the size of the Asian market audience is way off in my opinion.

Totally.

I wonder if most ORBX simmers do live in PNW area?

I live in Poland but 60% of my flying is PNW, 20% PNG and the rest is whatever.

&

For my understanding the new MS Flight Simulator will download in realtime ortho images while you fly. Its basicly like you pan&zoom in BING maps. Some of the contents you haven the hard drive such as mesh and autogen data and some basic ground textures.

They were talking about Azure AI and Deep learning that auto detects failures in the Ortho imagenery through a logical guessing technique. With that they can even deliver crisp images where no sufficient ortho data is available and that technique is even able to remove clouds.

On the MS dev conference recently they also talked about how strong & new 5G networks can make it possible to download those data in realtime.

They big question is of course what is the price tag and payment model for that. I could imagine they offer MS Flight Simulator as it is with better LC based data world wide and put in some or all of their 400+ high detailed cities with up to 5 cm resolution, they already have in BING maps.

Second question is who is paying for the DL traffic. I could imagine there is some premium model were you pay like 8 dollars per month or so to get those real time orthodata when you fly. Its a pretty remarkable technique which would totally revolutionize games. If they deliver only 80 % what was seen in the launch trailer, P3D with all the addons will be dead at day 1 basicly if they really offer what they teased. Also it must be fps friendly since in ran on Xbox One X.

Lets see what happens, but the future for flight simulation was never brighter than now.

4 hours ago, HiFlyer99 said:

If they deliver only 80 % what was seen in the launch trailer, P3D with all the addons will be dead at day 1 basicly if they really offer what they teased

Just no. There is a lot more to a flightsim than scenery. Wheather, seasons, aircraft of acceptable fidelity, connectivity to existing controller hardware, support by addon developers and communities and community based tools, to be continued... Regardless what 2020 brings, neither P3D nor Xplane, not even FSX (which should be dead already but still survives), will be dead.

2020 could deliver 100% of what was seen. My P3D installation is feature complete with all the nice working addons I put on top of it (well it will be after Orbx released OpenLC Africa and Asia). No ortho scenery could make me abandond this working setup anytime soon. I don't think many people would. Unless the scenery is all they care about (which is totally ok, since its a question of personal preference).

I am with Rongor here. A flight simulator is an exercice in balancing fidelity in aircraft FDE/systems, scenery and air dynamics. The truth is we don’t know what MS is cooking right now for  the aircraft and weather and have only hints (impressive hints but hints nonetheless) for sceneries.

I looked yesterday at the Pula region in Sulawesi in Bing, then flew the A2A Texan there with Global+Vector+mesh. That was not bad but not overwhelming either because of the poor LC map I have. Assuming that FS20 gives us access to good aircraft and can generate 3D autogen over the aerial/sar imagery I saw in Bing, I will go for it. If I get Mega scenery-like flatish imagery with mediocre aircraft I won’t.

Just a short intervention.  Those of us who fly our sims in Australia do so frequently to Asian and Chinese airports already.  Open LC Asia would in my mind be a winner...after all, I fly widely on the continent, yet have only been a visitor to a few of the destinations.  It really would be wonderful, and frankly I would be surprised if there isn't a huge market in China itself. 

But hold on, aren't we all nervously waiting to see what FS20 brings, but for me that might be 'good-night, nurse' before it is released.

There is indeed more to flight simulation than just scenery, but I don't think anyone can argue that realistic scenery isn't near the top of the list of essential features.  My guess is that the current FSX-based aircraft flight dynamics and fidelity won't change much and if anything would be improved; same thing goes for weather depiction.  Microsoft has already stated that they intend to fully support the 3rd party development community so I don't see addon availability suffering.

As far as openLC Asia is concerned, I have already said that if it is released in a timely manner, i.e. within a year, then I would be a buyer, otherwise I'll just wait for the new sim which will provide unparalleled aerial/satellite scenery for this area of the world that has been neglected for years.  I rarely even fly in Asia because of the lack of accurate landclass.

Dave

Well, regardless what the new sim may bring (it will be summer 2020 the earliest I would even consider additional sims as I'm pending a PC update), OpenLC Africa and Asia are very high on my wishlist. They do the trick of making the affected landscape look believable, instead of simply artificial and generic. This alone effectively opens new areas for sim flying to me. I don't insist on streets and buildings level accuracy.

It would be great to get an update about what's going on with these.

Well the good news is that Holger Sandmann's next project is :  OpenLC Asia!

He is assembling the team and work will commence ASAP. We hope for a release before year's end.

OpenLC Africa is now 75% complete. We have encountered a lot of issues sourcing suitable data for many areas of this continent but work is progressing well. I know it has encountered numerous delays but we're back on track.

I'll make a general update post about this as well.

41 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Well the good news is that Holger Sandmann's next project is :  OpenLC Asia!

He is assembling the team and work will commence ASAP. We hope for a release before year's end.

OpenLC Africa is now 75% complete. We have encountered a lot of issues sourcing suitable data for many areas of this continent but work is progressing well. I know it has encountered numerous delays but we're back on track.

I'll make a general update post about this as well.

Your update is  really appreciated, thank you, John ! A lot of people are looking forward to both products. 

37 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Congrats @dominique
It could be that this topic and your research from Weibo may have been the jump-start required to get OLC Asia up and running.
Everyone's a winner!

What I find interesting is  the convergence of American, Australian,  British,  French, German, Polish, South African and maybe other nationalities simmers taking the time to say they were looking forward to it. The price of success, we know the product OpenLC , we want more of it ;).

Archived