Australia 2....a little appraisal

macca22au

First, I have to say that Melbourne Central is of Cityscape standard, a brilliant piece of work or is it a MARVEL?

My first two shots are taken turning over Melbourne central.

The first features Melbourne Port and Fishermans Wharf, the container terminal.  Beyond them Brighton Beach and the beaches of Port Philip.

InNies6.jpg

The next is more of a closeup.  Australians and Melburnians are sports mad and in this shot under the right wing is of Dockland Stadium, the home of Australian Rules Football, allegedly invented to keep cricketers fit in the off season.  Now it is more like American Football without protection.

Also above the right wing and to the right is another stadium with big lights.  This is the famous "G" the Melbourne Cricket Ground the home of test cricket and international matches.  It is an English game, and baseball is a poor substitute.

0R5ceAJ.jpg

The third is a closeup of Dockland Stadium.  I cannot relate the advertising to anything football or Orbx.  Why Marvel, come on Melbourne team 'fess up. It's there for a reason, so cough up.

But what a high standard of work that I can zoom in to this scale. You have treated Melbourne city extremely skilfully.

ZCm1322.png

Moving into NW Victoria with more open farmlands the LC becomes a little more evident.

FnshPYI.jpg

And then into the dry and saline lakes of northern South Australia.  Lovely from a height, hard hard country in which to operate.

KEjkj5v.jpg

Moving into Woomera, archly known as an experimental weapons testing area, but it is where perfidious Albion tested atomic weapons after the second world war.  Much of the area is still sanitised.

gk8NmNg.png

One for the road.

sdcD7x6.png

And lastly, Broome in NW Australia, on a coast that claimed more than a few 18th and 19th century Dutch explorers.  Broome is one of the northernmost resort towns on the west coast of Australia, the Kimberley Region as it is known.  It is well served by airlines, and should be on all your bucket lists.

Xo6ZNQV.png

Marvel Stadium = old Etihad Stadium = Docklands stadium.  Simply a naming rights thing.

Funny you should equate AFL to NFL.  A colleague and I are on opposite sides - he loves AFL because of the lack of apparent structure, that it's a bit of a free for all - just get the ball to the other end between the sticks and we'll even give you a point if you can't manage that but are close (really?!?).  I watch the NFL for hours because of the structure.. that a wide receiver can sprint forty yards, turn unsighted and find the ball on his chest (when it goes right).  They could hardly be more different.

Agree on the cricket though... slug it out for five days, end in a draw and everyone goes home (un)happy.  As I used to say to an old boss who didn't get it: 'Subtleties and nuances Gary, subtleties and nuances.'   :P

I knew a chap who worked out in Woomera.  In his line of work one day found himself standing on a hard surface in the desert.  Scratched beneath to find ground as smooth as glass.  Left the area sharpish... so the story goes anyway.

The panorama shot is great.

Nickel, thanks for that correction, but you ruined my conspiracy theory.  However we surely have had over-lapping experiences.  We lived in LA for a time, anda few years later in Victoria BC.  I was a UCLA Bruins tragic, and got hooked on the game properly, and still watch the pro football finals.  Boy was the TexasA & M marching band fantastic.  But I am also with you that a 5 day cricket test fought to a draw is the noblest of them all.  I lived in Adelaide for years and followed Norwood......

A wonderful tour of Oz, Ian.

So much to see in our diverse country.

I loved going to the cricket in the early 80s when I first came over here, both tests and one day games. Later, when the lights were erected, I used to finish work in Northcote and dash down to the MCG to watch the day night internationals.

I was a member of Fitzroy for many years but in my opinion the game(AFL) is now totally sterile and fans are today even being banned for shouting at the umpires. I liked the game when I first saw it. Plenty of scoring, tough and simple rules.

I don't even bother watching the Grand Final now.

So true:  I remember watching Rules on small fields in Adelaide, and after a strict NZ rugby upbringing where the officials were treated as sacred, I was astonished by members of the public rushing up to the sideline, yelling insults at the umpires, and then returning to their place.  It was quite exciting, if off-putting.  The least of the epithets involved the ump getting a white stick....

ps Mickel I do follow the Patriots in a casual sort of way still, but no West Coast teams anymore.

Bit more local stuff. I've just flown down from my home airport of Bendigo to Melbourne in a Cessna. I actually drove the same route an hour earlier, coming home from Melbourne (and hoping my Aust V2 had finished downloading - which it had). It will come as no surprise, I followed the Calder Freeway from Bendigo back to Melbourne - simply jaw dropping amazing. Every bend , undulation, interchange - all there.

Also live part of time in an apartment in Spring Street Melbourne - and there it is! Never thought the place I live (the actual building) would be accurately replicated in flight sim - oh come so far since the early eighties!

Fabulous result team.

Archived