Shoreham... my childhood holidays.

Mark Abdey

A little flight out from Orbx Shoreham (Brighton) airport, whizzing over Lancing, where my grandmother lived and we spent many a family holiday, and then turning towards Brighton and the South Downs.

Amazing detail... you can read the text on the memorial plaque.

ESPHlW7.jpg

altneew.jpg

This looks like a nice spot to watch the coming and going... My gran had a house almost at the end of the runway, before moving closer to the sea, which was also great for plane watching.

oVUBEwN.jpg

Setting off in my freeware Grob (great name :lol:) ..... Some lovely detail on display at this airport.

YRWWD6T.jpg

Lancing... The flats below the right wheel is where she moved too... it was great, with a hop just over the road to the beach, and a huge pleasure park (Brooklands) just down the road.

W8NonUk.jpg

The old docks at Shoreham and the exit of the River Adur.

ViZuWN3.jpg

Brighton with its sole remaining pier, with the west pier (which was already abandoned and in decay) burning down in in 2003... You can see the remains accurately modeled in True Earth, just above right/center...  You can also see the British Airways i360, which is a 162-metre observation tower a little further right, on the beach.

VmBTb99.jpg

Heading out over the Downs, now a National Park

tQAfDE9.jpg

A27 from Brighton to Lewes.

YBuY7Zt.jpg

Gn60DFN.jpg

For these last two shots I turned on XEnviro, for some real time weather... nice, if blustery conditions; and the clouds look very nice. This is v1.07 with HD replacement textures.

7S3MFVY.jpg

BLHyD0Y.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for the memories Mark. The in - laws live in Brighton who  we visit every couple of years.  Visited most of the places you show. We were up the 360 tower last Christmas! Great detail.

Cheers Graeme :)

15 hours ago, Mark Halliwell said:

The detailing at Shoreham is extraordinary. The clouds in the last shot look really good.

I shall have to get hold of the Grob...

Thanks Mark... Get the Grob it a nice little plane and well modeled... available here.

15 hours ago, Doc Scott said:

Beautiful shots of a beautiful region ,Mark !!

But I still prefer your P3D shots:rolleyes:

Scott

Thanks Scott... sorry for the lack of P3D shots.

14 hours ago, BradB said:

Marvelous shots Mark . :):)

Cheers

John

Thank you John :)

11 hours ago, boetie said:

Thanks for the memories Mark. The in - laws live in Brighton who  we visit every couple of years.  Visited most of the places you show. We were up the 360 tower last Christmas! Great detail.

Cheers Graeme :)

Thanks Graeme... It's amazing how many people I meet that know the place and have family in the area. I've not been back for a very long time, but would like to re-visit old haunts again.

11 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Perfect set of shots

John

Thank you very much John :)

10 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Why is Gran's house always so much more attractive?  After my mother decided to become a GI bride, I lived with my Gran for several years and loved it.  Your usual masterful shots.

Cheer OND... Living in Berkshire, as we did then, going to stay with 'nana Lancing' as I called her, right by the sea was such a treat.  It seemed a very long way, sat in the back of my dads old Ford Anglia, sliding around on shiny, sweaty, vinyl seats for two hours plus... me and my sister moaning most of the way :lol:

5 hours ago, adambar said:

Superb set of shots Mark! :)

Thank you Adam.

4 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand shots Mark.

cheers

Iain

Thank Iain.

4 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Fantastic post Mark and your shots are super i spent some time at shoreham my self the odd weekends went there fishing with my father when i lived in weybrige surrey and that was years

ago now regards EMM

Cheers Stewart... It's a nice little place (I'm sure it still is) Happy times... :)

3 hours ago, wain71 said:

fantastic set of shots.....

Thank you very much Wain.

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Dang these are some nice shots!  I wish I had TE like this for Atlanta, Boston, or Idaho.

Cheer Jack :0  One day, you may have it... it would be amazing to have the whole world in TE, impractical as that would be currently. In the mean time, and apart from PNW which is looking utterly stunning, I'd love to see some other European countries and Japan.

9 hours ago, whitehaven said:

Terrific angles, colour and sharpness. Just makes you want to get up in the air.

Thank you kindly whitehaven :)

8 hours ago, Aimee Sanjari said:

Ohhhh amazing! I took flying lessons out of Shoreham airport - lots of happy memories!

Cheers Aimee.... nice!... do you still fly?

4 hours ago, Chunk said:

What a stunning set Mark!!

Thank you Chunk :)

3 hours ago, BobT said:

Sweet pics! Always great to see comments from someone familiar with the area. Very impressive scenery.

Thank Bob... This scenery data is much more recent than my last visit, so it's great to see not much has changed down there.

38 minutes ago, andiflyit said:

Great set, I have Shoreham airport in P3d, it's a first class scenery.

Thanks very much... it's first class work indeed.

6 hours ago, Aimee Sanjari said:

Not anymore, sadly. My heart says yes but my wallet says no! 

A great pity it such an expensive thing to do... at least you got to do it for a while, and who knows what the future holds.

1 hour ago, williwill said:

Brilliant shots sir ,,love the Grob

Thanks williwill :)   the Grob is a great little flyer.

1 hour ago, oldboy43 said:

Very nice shots Mark, thank you.

Cheers

Karoly

Glad you like them Karoly.

• 1 year later...

See the tangle of rusting metal just off the viewing tower?

That was once the magnificent West Pier which amongst other things was here some scenes in 'Oh What a Lovely War' was filmed in 1968.

My pal and I 13 years old used to get on a train at Clapham Junction to fish there train fare 8 shillings and 6d return. 45p.  

Archived